Tumble Dryers Fire Risk - Hotpoint / Indesit / Creda

Comments

• n15h
    n15h Posts: 204
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 23 December 2015 at 6:57PM
    Watch out! Replacement tumble dryers are also at risk!

This was the article on ITV.com - Replacement Tumble Dryer catches Fire
    Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared - Buddha
  • we got our hotpoint tumble dryer in september 2015 got, then of course a month after this warning was released and yes our machine was one of the affected. filled out the online form. still waiting for an engineer. very (where we purchased it from do not want to know), as for hotpoint, every time you try to phone them you wait and wait then cut off. totally disgusted with service. we just want them to take the piece of crap away now.
  • Had a call from Indesit help centre last week, offered me a whirlpool Model azb 8570 Or a Hotpoint FETV60CP Replcement. (they advised that the whirlpool not available in shops to buy)

I love my Hotpoint CTD40, no problems really. I did not accept either model till i said i would review and see if it is a good replacement. Their reply was "take it and Sell it and get the one you want" I was shocked, I said i'm not going to be pressured, .expecting a call back today to further discuss.

Issue 1: whirlpool dryer AZB 8570 is more energy efficient (b) than my Present CTD40 (c). BUT the whirpool takes twice the time drying (downloaded user manual and check spec)

Issues 2: Whirlpool models requires a vent\frill be fitted on worktop for ventilation. Present one does not nor do so many others. Will need to see if they will send a fitter round so the replacement is usable under worktop. My dryer sits under work top and no vent required on worktop

My present hotpoint on full mixed load dries in 60ish minutes, Whirlpool states 120-180 mins,, Definitely not efficient when you do some electricity usage calculations.

What Models have others received? or been offered?

Would prefer cash alternative as replacements offered not good or ideal replacement.

Not cleaning Fluff filter is just poor LAZY and if a fire occurs its owners negligence

Are we going to get EU advise on not doing BBQs indoors as it may cause fires next?

a Load of Fluff about nothing i say...
    :jSaving Pounds and Staying Young by Keeping Active:j
  • I just had a call from Hotpoint offering me a replacement driyer, Whirlpool AZB 8570. Doesn't look like you can buy them anywhere....hence are they discontinued!!!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Delyth_B wrote: »
    I just had a call from Hotpoint offering me a replacement driyer, Whirlpool AZB 8570. Doesn't look like you can buy them anywhere....hence are they discontinued!!!

That is one ugly machine!

It may just be that they've not released that model in the UK, or have saved the product code for these replacements, a bit like having product codes that are exclusive to Currys.

I hope they don't offer me one of those!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    BaZza81 wrote: »
    Not cleaning Fluff filter is just poor LAZY and if a fire occurs its owners negligence

I don't think you quite understand the fault.

It isn't lack of cleaning the fluff filter that is the problem, it's that fluff can fall onto the heating element from the fluff filter, regardless of whether it's full or not. So even if you clean the filter after every use a piece could still drop off as you pull the filter out and land in the area of the element then catch fire next time you use it.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Still waiting to be contacted. Reported 25th November.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Still waiting to be contacted. Reported 25th November.

Same here, machine registered when first bought, filled in the form online and received confirmation it was affected on the 24th of November, no further contact yet.

I'm making very sure that the filter is fully cleaned every go and that there is someone around when it's on (not to mention the smoke alarms work).

For those that have been contacted by Hotpoint, do they make it very clear who they are calling from?
    We're currently plagued by the likes of "UK marketing scams" and "UK scam surveys" so are a bit short with anyone who is from an obvious call centre who doesn't ID themselves (especially when they're calling at 7:30 in the morning or 9:30 at night).
  • Still waiting to be contacted. Reported 25th November.

Ditto - contacted them 23 November when the first report popped up on here. Daughter has been contacted and told it is likely to be March before it's fixed - whoever it was on the phone said they were doing it in the order that they were notified - wrong; I contacted Hotpoint the day before she did.

Possibly some are more likely to catch fire than others and they're doing them first?
  • stokesley wrote: »
    Ditto - contacted them 23 November when the first report popped up on here. Daughter has been contacted and told it is likely to be March before it's fixed - whoever it was on the phone said they were doing it in the order that they were notified - wrong; I contacted Hotpoint the day before she did.

Possibly some are more likely to catch fire than others and they're doing them first?

Same here - I contacted Hotpoint on 23rd too but have heard nothing since.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure