MSE News: Nationwide launches cashback credit and debit card scheme: is it any good?

Options
Nationwide debit and credit card customers can earn between 1%-35% cashback at selected in-store and online retailers...
Read the full story:

Nationwide launches cashback credit and debit card scheme: is it any good?

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Like the previous Nationwide offer, this is simply a rebranding of a Visa Europe scheme- you can tell from the url https://nationwide.visaoffers.eu/ - so you can expect several other banks to have similar/the same offers using tjhe same format: xxxx.visaoffers.eu

This press release shows who Visa are partnering with to provide the offers.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've just logged in to the site (my credit card was already registered).

All they have done is replaced x% discount when you buy from one of their featured retailers with x% cashback when you buy from one of their featured retailers.

Big deal.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    None of the offers I can see right now are of any interest to me. May be something more relevant will appear nearer to Xmas.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 November 2015 at 11:03AM
    Options
    From the article
    "Nationwide pre-paid card customers can't earn cashback on spending."

I wasn't aware that Nationwide Building Society issued pre-paid cards.
    Seaching "Nationwide prepaid" came up with Nationwide Bank, an American organisation whose telephone number corresponds to "on your side". I wonder which Nationwide used that slogan first.

Does Nationwide Building Society have a card that it describes as prepaid? All that I can find on its web site is a suggestion from customers that it should offer one for overseas travel. I suppose that a basic bank account that does not permit overdrafts is much the same as a prepaid card in use (no overdraft) but as far as I am aware the latter are covered by electronic money regulation rather than banking regulation.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    alanq wrote: »
    Does Nationwide Building Society have a card that it describes as prepaid?

No. Maybe MSE has inside knowledge and Nationwide are about to introduce one? They've certainly never had one up to now.
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    These opt-in schemes are a pain in the !!!!. If its such a great idea then add all the customers in automatically.

Oh wait, that would cost them too much money...
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't know how good the offers are, but it does highlight Nationwide's lackadaisical approach to security.

I received an email about this yesterday.

The login/sign up page link leads to https://nationwide.visaoffers.eu/ and other links in the email lead to http://view.nationwide-communications.co.uk/.

It looked a bit fishy (or phishy) to me.

I toddled off for a gander at Nationwide's main website to see if there was any information there about it. Nothing jumped at me on their homepage or when I logged in to my account.

Nationwide is one of those organisations who believe adding the last three character of your Post Code to their email proves it's legit. :rotfl:
  • Former_MSE_Paloma
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the feedback - this should say Visa pre-paid card rather than Nationwide. Thanks for flagging - this has been amended. MSE Paloma
  • csreader
    csreader Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 18 November 2015 at 5:06PM
    Options
    After I started to register for Nationwide's Simply Rewards I was sent an email from noreply@nationwide.visaoffers.eu, as they had told me to expect.
    This contained a link to nationwide.visaoffers.eu.
    At least, that's what it said. But the link was actually to
    56q1.mjt.lu. (MSE doesn't let me give more details of the links.)
    Have Nationwide opened an office in .LUxembourg?
    I suppose it's possible that this is a link to a Visa website; but, if so, why do Nationwide need to disguise the real link with a fictitious one?
    Incidentally, thanks to SnowTiger for pointing out that Nationwide normally give the last 3 characters of my postcode in their emails; this did not happen in the one about Simply Rewards.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Amex Cashback card and the Santander 123 credit card seem to have pretty similar offers.

By the way, I went to Toby Carvery to use a Santander Retailer Offer, worst meal ever. Which rather puts me off the Crown Carveries offer, 20% off. Ember Inn was actually very good, so don't know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure