We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Lastminute.com - Top Secret Hotels REVEALED (London ONLY)

Options

Comments

• Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Pelican_eats_pigeon Posts: 783 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2011 at 4:03AM
    Options
    friday 25th February checking out monday....any advice would be great.....

Occupancy is not currently looking particularly high for those dates, so the first thing to bear in mind is that prices for some of these hotels are likely to go down nearer the time, while new ones should also appear.

The hotel you were looking at appears to be £103.72, so I'm looking for sub-£105 stuff here, minimum 4*.

Upscale property in West London, Kensington £87.50 - Hilton London Kensington
    Pros: Excellent service, fresh new rooms, cheap, next to Westfield
    Cons: A little way out of the centre, rooms slightly small, quite a large hotel

Contemporary hotel at the new business district £94.58 - Hilton Canary Wharf
    Pros: Modern hotel, quite big rooms, walkway to tube
    Cons: In Docklands so a little way from attractions

Hot Winter Rates-near Buckingham Palace & Theatres £96.35 - Park Plaza Victoria
    Pros: Convenient central location, good beds and bathrooms
    Cons: Room furnishings a little cheap

Crowne Plaza Shoreditch (not secret) £103.36
    Pros: Location is good for nightlife, nice rooms
    Cons: A little way from West End, noisy area, mixed reports of service

Superb high quality hotel next to Tower Bridge £104.67 - Grange City Hotel
    Pros: Good rooms, well located for Tower of London & St Pauls etc, has a 25m pool
    Cons: Pretends to be 5* when it's really 4*, service can be poor, not so well located for West End, in financial district so area a bit dead at weekend

I can recommend all of the above as being better than the hotel you were looking at. Make sure you do your own research though, and compare the price of booking direct with the hotel!

Edit: Also, don't forget to check travelsupermarket, it threw out London Bridge Hotel and Mint Westminster at around this price range, both are excellent. Also, Yeego had a rate of £95 inc breakfast for Crowne Plaza Shoreditch.
  • lubylubylou
    Options
    Thanks for the information, the reason the Radisson Edwardian Grafton description sounded good to me was the location, I am ideally looking for something right in the centre near the west end/oxford street/ Soho would be perfect, alot of the hotels in this area are expensive so the Radisson Edwardian Grafton seemed ok for price and location,
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    Thanks for the information, the reason the Radisson Edwardian Grafton description sounded good to me was the location, I am ideally looking for something right in the centre near the west end/oxford street/ Soho would be perfect, alot of the hotels in this area are expensive so the Radisson Edwardian Grafton seemed ok for price and location,

Hmmm, OK - the Park Plaza Victoria is still very good for West End (2 tube stops from Oxford Circus) and only about 3 or 4 minutes longer walking distance from Piccadilly Circus. Mint is only a tiny bit further away than that.

Problem is that it's difficult to find affordable hotels of a good standard right in the heart of the west end, there is a lot of rubbish.

Can't find anything closer that I would recommend so if you don't fancy Victoria, I would wait and see what comes up around the weekend. If you are too nervous to wait, the Grafton is adequate but I think you can do better for £105.
  • HOGGIE_2
    Options
    Hi everyone, Happy Valentines Day! just read a few of the threads (great forum:T) but not got time to read all (kids/work/bed etc) Going to a show nr Covent Garden Sat 5th March n looking for somewhere decent pref 5* £100 upto £150 between Covent G n as far as Green Pk/Oxford St pref with gym sauna pool etc n easy access from St Pancrass. Ive looked at the top secret ones n quite fancy the "Top West End 5*" which i believe to be the Athenaeum, or the t/s Cumberland (which looks a bit far out). Any ideas most welcome! Are there any extra voucher discounts currently about aswell does anybody know, thanks again, Hoggie:D
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    HOGGIE wrote: »
    Hi everyone, Happy Valentines Day! just read a few of the threads (great forum:T) but not got time to read all (kids/work/bed etc) Going to a show nr Covent Garden Sat 5th March n looking for somewhere decent pref 5* £100 upto £150 between Covent G n as far as Green Pk/Oxford St pref with gym sauna pool etc n easy access from St Pancrass. Ive looked at the top secret ones n quite fancy the "Top West End 5*" which i believe to be the Athenaeum, or the t/s Cumberland (which looks a bit far out). Any ideas most welcome! Are there any extra voucher discounts currently about aswell does anybody know, thanks again, Hoggie:D

The best thing you will get for your price range in your desired location is the Athenaeum which as you said is "Top west end hotel". It could come down to £130 nearer the time or disappear altogether. Since you are very picky as to location I might be tempted to get it now if you don't fancy gamble. It is certainly better than the Cumberland.

Can't find any other options I would recommend right now but more is likely to become available nearer the time.
  • nickelus
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm a newbie-just joined and think its a great thread. Staying in London tomorrow night and could do with a recommendation for a quality hotel £120-150. Have seen the Rafael on Travelsupermarket for £129, are there any better in the secret hotels reasonably central?
    Thanks in advance
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    I presume by quality you mean 5* ish quality or very top end 4*.

In the 5* range you have:

Luxurious unique property minutes from Chelsea £109 - Hotel Verta, neighbours with the Rafayel
    Rafayel £119 - either it's gone down or travelsupermarket missed scraping lastminute here

In the top end 4* range you have:
    Royal Park Hotel £130 - Not been there but it's supposed to be really good, Lancaster Gate a bit of a better location.
    Comfort and style in South Kensington £126.99 - The Cranley. Another one I haven't been to but is supposed to be good.

There are some other 4* hotels that come in sub-£100 but looking at your price range they may not be up to the standard you want.
  • nickelus
    Options
    Thanks Pelican.....very helpful. Have booked in at The Hotel Verta and willl give it a try....a little out of the way but fine for my means
  • maximurph_2
    Options
    great site, im looking for a hotel with a pool if possible for 2 nights this weekend 19th-21st for myself and 2 daughters any help would be appreciated. around the £100£120 mark if possible, thanks
  • Pelican_eats_pigeon
    Options
    maximurph wrote: »
    great site, im looking for a hotel with a pool if possible for 2 nights this weekend 19th-21st for myself and 2 daughters any help would be appreciated. around the £100£120 mark if possible, thanks

You are going to have a problem finding good deals as they usually are only for 2 person occupancy. I'm assuming your daughters are over 12? And that you all want to stay in the same room? If so, lastminute has nothing for you, try travelsupermarket.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback