Housing Benefit Advice - mum maybe moving in!

Hi All

First post ....sorry....not sure where to get this info from.
We currently rent our property as does my mum (her own property). We have just been given notice to leave as landlord is selling. We have found a property that is larger than our house, within our budget ....ish (I work full time), and its could be split to have an annex.
My mum has suggested moving in with us, so she can help with the kids while both my partner and I work, and she would financially contribute towards the rent and bills....yes I know I am incredibly lucky with this offer.
My concern is that mum wouldnt be eligible for her housing benefit anymore. The property is registered as one property, although there are 2 kitchens, and she would have her own lounge bathroom and bedroom, and would be seperate to the main property by a door. She has her own front door too, and garden.
So my question is, would she still get her housing benefit for a single property? She cant go to work due to crippling arthritis which has good and bad days. Hence being able to help with the kids, but not look after them fully. She is on her own now since my dads death a few months ago.
I want to bring her to live with me, but I dont think I could afford all the extra bills if she doesnt still get the help. Anyone had this before?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If your mum owns her own property she shouldn't be getting housing benefit.
    This is only for people who rent property.

Presumably she could sell her property and pay you rent out of that or rent it out and
    pay you out of the rent she gts.

You would be best chcking with her. It may be income support she gets.

How old is she.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi All

First post ....sorry....not sure where to get this info from.
    We currently rent our property as does my mum (her own property). We have just been given notice to leave as landlord is selling. We have found a property that is larger than our house, within our budget ....ish (I work full time), and its could be split to have an annex.
    My mum has suggested moving in with us, so she can help with the kids while both my partner and I work, and she would financially contribute towards the rent and bills....yes I know I am incredibly lucky with this offer.
    My concern is that mum wouldnt be eligible for her housing benefit anymore. The property is registered as one property, although there are 2 kitchens, and she would have her own lounge bathroom and bedroom, and would be seperate to the main property by a door. She has her own front door too, and garden.
    So my question is, would she still get her housing benefit for a single property? She cant go to work due to crippling arthritis which has good and bad days. Hence being able to help with the kids, but not look after them fully. She is on her own now since my dads death a few months ago.
    I want to bring her to live with me, but I dont think I could afford all the extra bills if she doesnt still get the help. Anyone had this before?

Sorry, I'm confused.

Firstly you say that the property's within your budget and then you say you can't afford it without her claiming HB -both can't be true.

Obviously your mother would need to pay her share of the bills but this isn't what HB covers - she needs to pay those out of whatever income (pension or benefits) she receives to cover her living costs.
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    McKneff wrote: »
    If your mum owns her own property she shouldn't be getting housing benefit.
    This is only for people who rent property.

Presumably she could sell her property and pay you rent out of that or rent it out and
    pay you out of the rent she gts.

You would be best chcking with her. It may be income support she gets.

How old is she.

The OP says her mother rents her current home, although she says this in rather a confused way.:).
  • Sorry yes post very confusing. She rents her own property privately, not owns its.
    And in terms of affording it, yes we could, just, and thats living on the line completely for us. Hence the ish comment. It would be a massive financial risk, but we have 6 - 8 wks to find something, and the market is awful, hence having to push ourselves financially too.....we both work and claim nothing.
    Its widows benefit she gets, as dad worked all his life, although this will only be until june next year, then who knows.
  • Mossfarr
    Mossfarr Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    You don't appear to have taken any time to think about this other than in a financial sense.
    What about the long term implications of sharing your home (and life) with your Mother? How will you feel if she meets someone else and moves him in too? What if you want to move house in the future but your Mum doesn't?
    Also, as you only lost your Dad recently your Mum needs to get used to life as a single person before making such a huge decision. In six months time she might feel very differently.
    Don't underestimate the difficulties of having your Mother with you on a permanent basis. I speak from personal experience, we all moved in together over 20 years ago and it really isn't easy.
  • As it's only one property the council won't see her living in her own place, they would need a tenancy agreement in her name etc.

You could rent the property in her name, if the landlord accepts LHA/HB and you would get deductions from the HB. Not sure if this is even possible, if the HB claim would be £0, or if she used the money for anything but rent it being seen as fraud.
    Student nurse 2018 to 2020
    Debt: DMP (with Payplan) £8194 - 6.6 years left
  • Thank you Mossfarr for your comment.
    Mum and I are the bestest of friends. I am looking at it from more than a financial view. Someone recently tried to break into her house, I was 250 miles a way an could do nothing. When dad died, I supported here with everything and still do. She struggles to drive her car through pain, so I take her shopping. I have a disabled brother who lives in 24/7 assisted accomodation, and she couldnt cope dealing with everything that goes with that....so I did that too. All while maintaining my own family and a full time job, so if you think its for financial gains, you are sadly mistaken!!
    I now wish I have never posted knowing the cruelty of your comments!! I want to keep my mum safe and secure, but also my children too. I work circa 60-70 hrs a week! and have done for the last 12 yrs to make a life for me and my family....so please dont criticise what you dont know.
    It terms of living with mothers, I had my partners mum move in with us for 2 yrs as her business was struggling, to enable her to rent out her house, so she didnt loss it. Not living in an annexe but in our house. So please do not patronise me.
    I know that mum would feel a burden on us if she could not contribute, right now she gets more housing benefit due to her health issues. If she was eligible for HB in the annex, if would be far less than she currently gets.
    We are not looking to screw the system, Im looking to keep my family safe. As a household we get NO benefits, and hopefully will never need to. My mum wants to be with us to feel safe, and be with her grandchildren, but she is a proud lady.
    My dad worked every year of his life, paying into the system and taking nothing. He died 18 months after his retirement......Surely what he paid into the system should aide my mother. She doesnt even get his pension. If her had lived another 25 yrs he would have had his pension every month/year, but he didnt. He worked, he died!
    Financial gain???? There is none! Im looking at upping my rent £400 a month! HB would not even cover it.
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you Mossfarr for your comment.
    Mum and I are the bestest of friends. I am looking at it from more than a financial view. Someone recently tried to break into her house, I was 250 miles a way an could do nothing. When dad died, I supported here with everything and still do. She struggles to drive her car through pain, so I take her shopping. I have a disabled brother who lives in 24/7 assisted accomodation, and she couldnt cope dealing with everything that goes with that....so I did that too. All while maintaining my own family and a full time job, so if you think its for financial gains, you are sadly mistaken!!
    I now wish I have never posted knowing the cruelty of your comments!! I want to keep my mum safe and secure, but also my children too. I work circa 60-70 hrs a week! and have done for the last 12 yrs to make a life for me and my family....so please dont criticise what you dont know.
    It terms of living with mothers, I had my partners mum move in with us for 2 yrs as her business was struggling, to enable her to rent out her house, so she didnt loss it. Not living in an annexe but in our house. So please do not patronise me.
    I know that mum would feel a burden on us if she could not contribute, right now she gets more housing benefit due to her health issues. If she was eligible for HB in the annex, if would be far less than she currently gets.
    We are not looking to screw the system, Im looking to keep my family safe. As a household we get NO benefits, and hopefully will never need to. My mum wants to be with us to feel safe, and be with her grandchildren, but she is a proud lady.
    My dad worked every year of his life, paying into the system and taking nothing. He died 18 months after his retirement......Surely what he paid into the system should aide my mother. She doesnt even get his pension. If her had lived another 25 yrs he would have had his pension every month/year, but he didnt. He worked, he died!
    Financial gain???? There is none! Im looking at upping my rent £400 a month! HB would not even cover it.

What cruel comments?
  • That I am looking at nothing more than a financial gain, how would my mum feel!?! Its her idea not ours, and is still at debate with myself and partner.
    That its fraud.....how? She already takes more from the system now, being in a 2 bed property, fully paid for by the state. We are looking at having her in the annexe of our potential property, which would save the taxpayer money!?!
    I only wanted some advice! Of course any HB she gets would go towards the rent, not us!
    We arent some family with loads of kids, refusing to work!
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    That I am looking at nothing more than a financial gain, how would my mum feel!?! Its her idea not ours, and is still at debate with myself and partner.
    That its fraud.....how? She already takes more from the system now, being in a 2 bed property, fully paid for by the state. We are looking at having her in the annexe of our potential property, which would save the taxpayer money!?!
    I only wanted some advice! Of course any HB she gets would go towards the rent, not us!
    We arent some family with loads of kids, refusing to work!

You must've been reading a different thread - you certainly haven't been reading this one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure