We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MFW Baby steps

Options

Comments

• Petal88
    Petal88 Posts: 272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MFW update:
    - I've had 2 NSDs in the past week
    - Total OPs for Jan are £125, which would keep me on track to OP £1500 this year - i.e. my MFW 2016 goal
    - It's not an achievement in itself, but I realised that my friends have spent up to £500 in the January sales this year and I have yet to buy a thing, which I'm pleased about.
    - Been chucking (rearranging) as much money as I can in to my 123 account to ensure I get the most out of the 3% interest rate

One thing I might have to use the Jan sales for though is a new bed... The one we have was left behind by the previous owners (as they were letting the flat out and had no need for the extra furniture) and it's in a pretty bad state, inlcuding a slope down one side so my OH keeps rolling into me whenever he's home:rotfl:. Oh and did I mention the previous owners' last tenant died in it? :eek: Don't worry though, they replaced the mattress for us!

With regards to the resolutions, so far I've kept up with the eating less meat and increasing my reading. I've only been on one run in 2016 though so the exercise/weight loss aspect could use a bit of a boost...
    Mortgage Oct '20: £615k
    Mortgage Feb '24: 590k
    Debt Feb'24: £35,501.54
  • hiddenshadow
    hiddenshadow Posts: 2,525 Forumite
    Options
    We inherited a bed as well and I was really glad to spend the money to replace it. Our previous owner died, but thankfully not in the bed that was left to us (that I know of :eek:).
  • Petal88
    edited 18 January 2016 at 8:34AM
    Options
    Ha so the bed we were about to buy on dfs (due to their manageable monthly payments) turned out to have a 146 cm high headboard and a not much lower foot of the bed so would have drowned the whole room with its size... Now I'm not sure what to do as that was the only bed I liked from dfs and now we'll either have to live with a sloped bed indefinitely as the wedding fund comes first and I have a few trips this year planned already (e.g. granny's 80th in France and auntie's 60th in Poland) and all other beds I would consider are easily £400-500...

Anyway - the main news should be that I PASSED ALL FOUR EXAMS!! Boss promised me a raise if I did as it means I'm a qualified accountant (just need to submit some papers) and I'm hoping it means I'll get promoted too. It doesn't hurt to browse though so I've got an interview scheduled for Wednesday as well ;). Bottom line is that it will be more £££ in the bank which will be great!

Edit: I just checked my 123 account and I received £16.84 in interest this month after tax and the new £5 account fee! So far I'm loving this account <3
  • ScotinLondon
    ScotinLondon Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    edited 18 January 2016 at 12:36PM
    Options
    Petal

Congratulations!! I know how hard these exams are. Am planning on taking my last F paper in March & my 1st P paper in June....

:j
  • Petal88
    Options
    Petal

Congratulations!! I know how hard these exams are. An planning on taking my last F paper in March & my 1st P paper in June....

:j

Thank you! They're nuts if you think about it - can't believe I was crazy enough to sit 4 but I was so desperate to get rid of them and have it all done and over with. You're lucky in that they've changed it to quarterly exams now at least! Is your June paper the P1 one? If so feel free to PM me your email cause I have the revision papers scanned, if you're self study it will help you see which parts of the syllabus to focus on :)
  • hiddenshadow
    Options
    CONGRATS on passing your exams! :) Super well done. Hope the interview and/or promotion work out.

Have you looked around for used beds? We got both of ours from British Heart Foundation charity shop (~£50 each), but are planning on replacing the one in our bedroom as the base doesn't work with a memory foam mattress. Looking on gumtree there are loads of bed frames super cheap, so it might be worth keeping an eye out to see if anything nice looking comes up.
  • ScotinLondon
    Options
    Morning...my first P paper is going to be P4, as I did F9 (financial management - for those not au faix with ACCA) back in June 2015. Then took a break to take stock and relax a bit (a bit too much)

I do both - LSBF & Open Tuition.

It is hard, working full time & studying. Congrats again, as you did 4 really tough papers. Am having trouble just concentrating on revising for the March paper, let alone the June paper. Too many distractions! LOL :rotfl:

I also have to start on the ACCA PER too...that format for that has changed also, so will need to read everything again and work it out.

If OK with you, may I follow your journey?

Am also in London and am also oping little amounts as & when I can.
  • thewalrussaid
    Options
    Congratulations on the exams! I need to start my professional exams again (not required in my industry but well thought of) and they are such a pain to fit in so you have my utmost respect and admiration for taking and passing 4 at once! :T

Let me know how you get on with Kayla Itsines - the results look amazing.

And yes to the 123 account - I love it too - it has actually made me want to save for the first time!
    Current mortgage as at start of diary 14.08.15 - £245,990.00
    Mortgage balance as at 04.01.20 - £123905.51
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Congrats on your exam results! :T :T :T x
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • Petal88
    Options
    Morning...my first P paper is going to be P4, as I did F9 (financial management - for those not au faix with ACCA) back in June 2015. Then took a break to take stock and relax a bit (a bit too much)

I do both - LSBF & Open Tuition.

It is hard, working full time & studying. Congrats again, as you did 4 really tough papers. Am having trouble just concentrating on revising for the March paper, let alone the June paper. Too many distractions! LOL :rotfl:

I also have to start on the ACCA PER too...that format for that has changed also, so will need to read everything again and work it out.

If OK with you, may I follow your journey?

Am also in London and am also oping little amounts as & when I can.

Of course! We can commiserate about how expensive everything is here :)
    I never did P4 so I'm no help there I'm afraid - I do have all the books (some Kaplan, some BPP - although Kaplan is my clear favourite) for P1, P2, P3, P5 and P7 though? Can you BELIEVE I sat all those bar P1 and passed - I feel like I've won the lottery?!

CONGRATS on passing your exams! :) Super well done. Hope the interview and/or promotion work out.

Have you looked around for used beds? We got both of ours from British Heart Foundation charity shop (~£50 each), but are planning on replacing the one in our bedroom as the base doesn't work with a memory foam mattress. Looking on gumtree there are loads of bed frames super cheap, so it might be worth keeping an eye out to see if anything nice looking comes up.

I have had a look at both gumtree, preloved and BHF's ebay store but didn't really see anything that appealed - unless pine is coming into fashion again?:D Thanks for reminding me though, I definitely need to keep looking regularly as I have a sneaky feeling I just keep missing the good stuff :)
    Congratulations on the exams! I need to start my professional exams again (not required in my industry but well thought of) and they are such a pain to fit in so you have my utmost respect and admiration for taking and passing 4 at once! :T

Let me know how you get on with Kayla Itsines - the results look amazing.

And yes to the 123 account - I love it too - it has actually made me want to save for the first time!

They really are a pain - I'm not sure I could motivate myself to do one if I didn't have to! This one is 14 exams and I did 9 of them in a 12 month period ending this Dec so I am well and truly exhausted and in need of a rest. Although my global boss has already asked me what qualification I want to be doing next?!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business