edited 4 March 2016 at 11:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
603 replies 71.5K views

Replies

• Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
    9.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rainy-Days wrote: »
    Andrea - not sure why but I finally found the Wastemen programme which was an Open University documentary screened on BBC2 earlier this year.

If you type into Google
    Wastemen BBC2 Daily Motion

It will bring up two videos of the refuse programme. Tried posting the links but it won't work. Having said that it is a fantastic two part docu and it's really really worth watching!

That is a very HFW type programme and I enjoyed watching this rubbish :rotfl:

If you could dig out the links that would be great. I'd love to see that.

I generally talk rubbish most of the time anyway :D
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: [email protected]
  • wishuswishus Forumite
    977 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    My compost bin is full of onion skins, teabags and peelings. I put some chicken bones in my general waste (boiled the carcass for some soup!) - I suppose I should get a council food bin for that!
    Still wanna live in a house in the countreeee! Debt-free/£25K paid OFF!
    February 2021 Grocery Challenge £172.98/£200 March grocery challenge £0/£170
  • wishuswishus Forumite
    977 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and can I say I might be converted but HFW can preach to me all he likes! :happyhear
    Still wanna live in a house in the countreeee! Debt-free/£25K paid OFF!
    February 2021 Grocery Challenge £172.98/£200 March grocery challenge £0/£170
  • Rainy-DaysRainy-Days Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    If you could dig out the links that would be great. I'd love to see that.

I generally talk rubbish most of the time anyway :D

Thanks Andrea,

I tried to post them but the filters on here are blocking it out!! I think it could be because it's a video, but I will have a go again:-

www.
    dailymotion.com/video/x2oqdf8

^^ That Is part one

www.
    dailymotion.com/video/x2p9ur3

^^ That is part 2

I am trying to find part 3 but I am hoping that will get around the filters
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wishus wrote: »
    Oh, and can I say I might be converted but HFW can preach to me all he likes! :happyhear
    WOW!
    A secret crush!

Now that's a whole new thread......
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't have a food waste collection, but I try to compost all peelings, eggshells and teabags. My garden has had some fantastic compost this year because of this but, confession time now, I have reverted to putting the waste in the household bin for the winter (Bad Nargle!). The reason being, our black plastic composting "Dalek"over time got warped and bent like the leaning tower of Pisa, so eventually it was chucked out at the start of the autumn and the contents were spread over the garden. As we go into next spring I will start composting again, using a corner of the garden for the heap. Promise!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi ANDREA I've just checked the council web site for waste and they say food waste can be disposed of in a cone food digester and if you don't have one advice is to put food waste into the general waste bin. I know most councils are having funding cut backs and I guess that it's not a priority to invest in food caddies. I have to say they're pretty good with all other recycling and we have a reliable 2 weekly collection of the bin and green waste bags so I suspect we'll have to wait for an economic upturn before they will consider food waste collection as an extra.
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its because they spent so much on the incinerators in this area Lyn. Recycling isn't worthwhile for them, as they need to keep feeding them... They are 'energy recovery' plants, so at least they're helping keep the lights on!
  • RASRAS Forumite
    29.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone NOT had to put their food waste bin out this week, or even at all?

The vast bulk of food waste goes into the compost. We do not have food waste bins but the only food that goes into the council waste is fat trimming if I have not rendered, diseased produce (storage rots on onions and apples are not good additions to compost) and stuff that would attract rats.

During the winter I can go weeks without having the main waste emptied if it is cold enough. The recycling bin needs to go out every time or other time.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to check out Hugh's War on Waste Guest Comment we published yesterday :)
    A useful summary - pleased to report score 5/6!
    3. Internet shopping is the friend of the thrifty cook, allowing you to select just what you need without subjecting yourself to the temptations of the supermarket.
    ^^ This is where I fail - because you can't buy YS online :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals