Hugh's War on Waste

edited 4 March 2016 at 11:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
603 replies 71.5K views

Replies

• LindlouLindlou Forumite
    82 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts
    I would never go back to washing by hand again, it's boring and unhygenic. Even now I'm on my own (with the animals) I use it, although normally only every other day.

Each to their own but I've survived for 50+ years without one and I aint killed us yet!
    Never, ever give up........
  • Mr_SingletonMr_Singleton Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Some people can only afford a Beko (your example)
    And it's very arrogant of you to dismiss other posters' financial limitations.
    You can 'look at the prices' all you like but if a Beko (your example) is all someone can afford, then your reasoning is a load of tosh.

I'm incredibly jaded when it comes to what people can and can't afford. People need to make a distinction between what people want and what they need. To me a good reliable washing machine would come way way above non-essentials.
    There was programme recently about Scotland's largest food bank located in Dundee. How could it be that on the one hand people needed food handouts yet had flat screen TV's (and presumably licenses), Playstation's etc. Again, there's currently a series on Channel 5 about high court bailiff's evicting people from rented accommodation and the number of people with possessions that are completely at odds with there circumstances is extraordinary. And before you comment theses people don't look like the victims of sudden and unforeseen circumstances they look like they've spent most of there lives 'bumping along the bottom'

I think that what I've been saying goes to the very heart of what waste is about. The attitude these days is shrug, I'll buy another one its cheap enough.
  • edited 17 November 2015 at 9:55PM
    Rainy-DaysRainy-Days Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 17 November 2015 at 9:55PM
    Not quite sure where that little temper tantrum came from, particularly as I've had no previous interaction with you (fortunately).

Wrong again, I have seen and had interation with you down in the Money Savers Arms - short memory! I have also seen some of your posts on here and have deliberately set myself on a course to avoid you. However, when you question me and then attempt to discredit me I will go flat out and all out to prove you wrong!

Not really much point saying that if they're actually the same scheme, is it?

It is and they are administered by the LGPA and furthermore those changes came into effect in 2014 and updated in 2015 - I know this to be a given fact because my cousin is a Teacher and there was an almighty hoo haa about the changes at the time! Going on from that they are dealing with Capita.

Not all, but a significant amount of police pensions are also being dealt with by LGPA (The Met and West Midlands are staying put for the time being) as further exercises in additional cost cutting measures. In fact the only one not affected yet - which I am a member of - is the Civil Service Pension scheme and that at present stays where it is!

If you are going post and take refernce and issue with someone please make sure that your facts are right!

Edited to add - noticed that you avoided the Firefighters Pension being dealt with by LA's !
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • Well done R-D for standing by your guns.

She caused trouble down in the MSA and she has been lurking here in the background for quite some time waiting for the momement to kick off.

She has had more jobs than I know what to list! She must have had every job underneath the sun been a know all at everything and an expert in nothing. She was the architect of telling us we should open our borders and let everyone fro around the world to come in and max out the benefits because we are a rich country and qwe can not only afford it but we have room for them FGS

You wait she'll be trawling back through your previous posts digging stuff up on you to throw back in your face! On top of that don't be surprised if she sends you some nasty messages either one of her M.O's!.

Irgnore her totally - she needs a Government Health Warning attaching to her signure that she is a danger to your health and sanity!
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    13K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) I needed to replace my washer in January this year. A Miele washer would have been ideal but was beyond my pocket - my income places me in the lowest 10% of earners and there isn't a lot of spare flesh on the budget at the best of times. And I have no expensive habits to curtail and no TV of any stripe and not a games console to my name, so it wasn't a case of not spending my resources wisely, they just weren't there in the first place.

After careful research in the Which? magazine for reliability and energy efficiency, I bought a B0sch for £369, which was almost £100 more than the 9.5 year old B0sch it replaced. I am hoping that, with careful use, that I can get 10 years at least out of this one. Both models were the Best Buys of their price range, which was middlin' and hopefully not piddlin'.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • JustamumJustamum Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I'm a retired lecturer (as was my late husband) and receive my pension from the TPA, I can assure you that I have no contact with the LA whatsoever, only the TPA.

My aunt was a retired teacher and received her pension from the TPA. She also had one from Leeds City Council which is the local authority she worked for. Is that normal?

• meritatenmeritaten
    24.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm incredibly jaded when it comes to what people can and can't afford. People need to make a distinction between what people want and what they need. To me a good reliable washing machine would come way way above non-essentials.
    There was programme recently about Scotland's largest food bank located in Dundee. How could it be that on the one hand people needed food handouts yet had flat screen TV's (and presumably licenses), Playstation's etc. Again, there's currently a series on Channel 5 about high court bailiff's evicting people from rented accommodation and the number of people with possessions that are completely at odds with there circumstances is extraordinary. And before you comment theses people don't look like the victims of sudden and unforeseen circumstances they look like they've spent most of there lives 'bumping along the bottom'

I think that what I've been saying goes to the very heart of what waste is about. The attitude these days is shrug, I'll buy another one its cheap enough.

oh for chrissakes - people can lead quite affluent lifestyles. BUT - lose your job, delays in benefit payments and within a couple of months you are skint and starving! but, you still have your 'toys' bought when you can afford them! and yes, people in that position often sell them on the bebay or other sites as they desperately need the money!

Mr Singleton - it seems to me that you are deliberating stirring on here! This is a NICE board! so YOU are now going on ignore.

Why don't you go and post down in 'The Arms'? or is it too intimidating for you?
  • K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    "A girl called jack"

Now renamed "Jack at a pinch "
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 J(absent),F -N£4,167.55/£4,120 2021 J £213.10/380, F £306.09/380 M £233.67/380 A £338.58/£240 M £264.93/£340 J £238.64/£300 J 247.19/260 A £254.88/£250 S £71.37/£250
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Now renamed "Jack at a pinch "

So it is! Thank you I didnt know that. Their first book still has the title though.

http://jackatapinch.com/2015/11/15/the-transformation-of-jack-monroe-the-times-november-2015/
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care whether you're 'incredibly jaded' or not.
    You've got no idea what individual people can afford and it's rude and presumptuous to say you have.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides