Hugh's War on Waste

Comments

• We are lucky enough to have a Miele dishwasher, it was given to us when we had our kitchen replaced, I say we had it replaced but He Who Knows and a friend built and fitted all the new flat pack units we got in a sale. We did buy a new hob and oven, again in a sale and our neighbours were also having a new kitchen fitted, their third in the 20 years we've lived here and they offered us their Miele dishwasher which was 10 years old. Up to then I'd never had a dishwasher ever, well that was 3 years ago and it's still working wonderfully well and I use it maybe twice a week because there are only two of us and I won't run it unless it is full. It's a wonderful thing is a dishwasher but I wouldn't have actually bought one, I've two hands and a bowl that have served me well in my 67years and I can still remember how to wash up, I hope this one we have lasts a good deal longer but if it goes, well, back to hand washing up again!
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Rainy-Days wrote: »
    I have been typing about this very thing over on another thread. It won't go down well of course and quite honestly I don't care if I am castigated as the forum Bigot - the issue is simple, we are buying too much, wasting even more and have lost the principles of cooking from scratch!

BTW that food from the back with the market - well known trick and my Mum got caught a few times with it.

Pensions - seems to be clear that if you were a teacher, planning officer, fireman or junior management upwards you can do very well out of the LA pension scheme.
    Those in administrative positions, from what I have read on here, seem to fare the worst!

Neither teachers nor firefighters are part of the LGPS.
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We are lucky enough to have a Miele dishwasher, it was given to us when we had our kitchen replaced, I say we had it replaced but He Who Knows and a friend built and fitted all the new flat pack units we got in a sale. We did buy a new hob and oven, again in a sale and our neighbours were also having a new kitchen fitted, their third in the 20 years we've lived here and they offered us their Miele dishwasher which was 10 years old. Up to then I'd never had a dishwasher ever, well that was 3 years ago and it's still working wonderfully well and I use it maybe twice a week because there are only two of us and I won't run it unless it is full. It's a wonderful thing is a dishwasher but I wouldn't have actually bought one, I've two hands and a bowl that have served me well in my 67years and I can still remember how to wash up, I hope this one we have lasts a good deal longer but if it goes, well, back to hand washing up again!

I would never go back to washing by hand again, it's boring and unhygenic. Even now I'm on my own (with the animals) I use it, although normally only every other day.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,539
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Definitely an interesting point of view but not a sustainable one. Looking at the washing machine example shows why. Its perfectly possible to buy a machine that'll last 10 years and have the parts available should it need a repair i.e Miele offer 10 year warranties and a guarantee to have parts for a minimum of 15 years. Now lets compare that to a cheap brand say Beko who offer a mean 1 year warranty and no parts guarantee. Now lets look at the prices- the cheapest Miele is 450% more expensive than the cheapest Beko. Beko recently said that they were the biggest supplier of washing machines in Europe by volume.

So what have we learn? Even if people have the option of getting a good quality long lasting washing machine they default to the cheapest. Manufacturers are in business to make money and money is in CHEAP, LOW QUALITY CRAP. Hence thats what they produce as that's what the market wants.

Things are way way too cheap!

Agree with the Naomi Klein book.
    Flawed reasoning, Mr_Singleton.

You're assuming - erroneously - that everyone can afford a Miele washing machine.

Some people can only afford a Beko (your example)
    And it's very arrogant of you to dismiss other posters' financial limitations.
    You can 'look at the prices' all you like but if a Beko (your example) is all someone can afford, then your reasoning is a load of tosh.

I do hope that a very interesting discussion on a friendly board isn't going to be ruined by one person who appears intent on attacking another poster for something entirely off-topic.
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2015 at 7:48PM
    Neither teachers nor firefighters are part of the LGPS.

Teachers and Firefighters pensions ARE CATEGORICALLY administered by a significant majority of the LGPS! :mad:

The LA administer these schemes on behalf of the Teachers and the Fire authorities in England and Wales.

http://www2.westsussex.gov.uk/ds/cttee/gov/gov290615i7.pdf

https://www.teachers.org.uk/node/15893

Also I will tell you something else - beings as you so frequently get your facts wrong on here - that certain police authorities also contract out their pensions to being administered by the LGPA as well!

You have been placed on IGNORE I will not respond to you again!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • Well we'd have to as I don't think the budget would stretch to buying a replacement and as we've been healthy for the 64 years of my existence up until we were given the dishwasher my hygiene when washing dishes must have been OK so I'm assuming that it will still be so if I do have to go back to hand washing up we'll hopefully survive healthily when I do!
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Mrs LW, our dishwasher is a Miele, and it is 13 years old. Showing its age now in parts, but it still washes the dishes and fingers crossed shows no signs of giving up the ghost yet!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Good little workhorses aren't they NARGLE?
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Mrs LW & Nargleblast - our last one was built in with the kitchen so when we moved we got this freestanding Bosch one. It's okay and it does the job, but the other one was a Neff and it was all singing all dancing.

Miele make some really tough as nails products but the cost can be prohibitive.

I would not be without my dishwasher though especially after Sunday lunch! It goes on maybe three to four times per week. In between I do a bit of washing up and the washing up water also gets used afterwards for dealing with the dog and cat bowls as well. I bought a huge 72 tablet pack of Fairy dishwasher tablets from Iceland of all places for £7.00 in February this year. Only coming to the very last of them now.. Got to say the Lidl all in one tablets are pretty amazing too!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 November 2015 at 8:40PM
    Rainy-Days wrote: »
    Teachers and Firefighters pensions ARE CATEGORICALLY administered by a significant majority of the LGPS! :mad:

The LA administer these schemes on behalf of the Teachers and the Fire authorities in England and Wales.

http://www2.westsussex.gov.uk/ds/cttee/gov/gov290615i7.pdf

https://www.teachers.org.uk/node/15893

Also I will tell you something else - beings as you so frequently get your facts wrong on here - that certain police authorities also contract out their pensions to being administered by the LGPA as well!

You have been placed on IGNORE I will not respond to you again!

Not quite sure where that little temper tantrum came from, particularly as I've had no previous interaction with you (fortunately).

However, it might have escaped your notice but your links show details of the TPS, FPS and LGPS - ie. three separate schemes. In fact to quote directly from your link

"These two categories of teachers (ie 2 categories of part timers) must be enrolled in the LGPS (but, in the case of those in the second category, only until they attain normal pension
    age, at which time they must be enrolled into the TPS).

Not really much point saying that if they're actually the same scheme, is it?

ETA

From the NUT website:

"This briefing describes the changes to the LGPS, implemented from April 2014, which will apply inter alia to NUT members who work in non-teaching posts in local authority services and do not qualify for TPS membership. "

Just saying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport