Hugh's War on Waste

Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
Forumite
edited 4 March 2016 at 10:32AM in Old style MoneySaving
MSE update 18 November:

We grabbed Hugh's time for a quick War on Waste Guest Comment. See what he had to say!

Also see our new blog
Back to the post...

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has a new programme starting 9pm Monday.

I thought you and the Green and Ethical boarders might want to watch it :)

Hugh's War on Waste schedule

Hugh's War on Waste

Save waste, save money Sign the Pledge
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Comments

• Thanks for the heads up Andrea, I will watch, but I find all these multi-millionaire chefs jumping on the bandwagon, preachifying to those who have to struggle and have been doing this for years rather sickening
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Thanks for the heads up Andrea, I will watch, but I find all these multi-millionaire chefs jumping on the bandwagon, preachifying to those who have to struggle and have been doing this for years rather sickening

Yet compulsive viewing! :D

I wish they would bring back Shirley Goode, or something similar. Her book and series was actually very useful and I still follow a lot of her advice.
  • Yet compulsive viewing! :D

I wish they would bring back Shirley Goode, or something similar. Her book and series was actually very useful and I still follow a lot of her advice.

Yes it is like a drug, but I love sitting back and saying "I do that already" :p

Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!

Absolutely - and each time they popularise a cheap food item, the price goes up.

Ham hocks and belly pork used to cost pennies. Now they are served up in restaurants and cost so much more in the shops.
    Grocery challenge 2017 January £158.74/£200
    Grocery challenge February £100.91/£190
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    "Hugh is determined to try and help the farmers by getting the supermarkets to change their practices"

Hugh doesn't understand supply and demand, the farmers are dumping 30-40% of their produce as they don't meet standards, and the price they are paid has fallen.

He thinks that getting the supermarkets to accept the wonky veg will help the farmers, but all that will do is crash the price of veg, which would mean less for the farmers, its an oversupply problem...
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the heads up Andrea, I will watch, but I find all these multi-millionaire chefs jumping on the bandwagon, preachifying to those who have to struggle and have been doing this for years rather sickening

He isn't preaching, he is highlighting the fact that perfectly good food is being thrown away simply because it doesn't conform to Supermarkets' uniformity criteria.

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 October 2015 at 4:05PM
    Ah yes... the Eton-educated rich boy who spent (probably) £1+million on his own farm so he could preach about eating food sourced locally and grown at home.

We know the fella....

He paid over £200k in 2001 for what was just their "holiday cottage". That was nigh on 2-3x average house prices at the time.
  • summerlady wrote: »
    Absolutely - and each time they popularise a cheap food item, the price goes up.

Ham hocks and belly pork used to cost pennies. Now they are served up in restaurants and cost so much more in the shops.
    Yes, I noticed recently that belly pork was more expensive than chops! :eek:
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ..He thinks that getting the supermarkets to accept the wonky veg will help the farmers, but all that will do is crash the price of veg, which would mean less for the farmers, its an oversupply problem...

Maybe the demand for vegetables would increase if the price dropped. Price is often used as an explanation by people who don't eat enough veg / fruit.

Cheaper priced veg from outlets like Aldi, Lidl, farmers markets etc aren't the most perfectly shaped, but there's a demand for them.

I'm sure there will always be consumers who want easy prepared and perfect prepacked veggies, but there's plenty more out there on tight budgets keen to eat healthier and learn how to prepare and cook them. As this forum testifies.

There needs to be more education and incentives to cook and eat a variety of fruit / veg regardless of its shape and looks. It's well known that UK people don't eat enough of them. A drop in price and increase in skills and recipe ideas would certainly help. Never mind reduce appalling waste.
  • katkin wrote: »
    Maybe the demand for vegetables would increase if the price dropped. Price is often used as an explanation by people who don't eat enough veg / fruit.

Cheaper priced veg from outlets like Aldi, Lidl, farmers markets etc aren't the most perfectly shaped, but there's a demand for them.

I'm sure there will always be consumers who want easy prepared and perfect prepacked veggies, but there's plenty more out there on tight budgets keen to eat healthier and learn how to prepare and cook them. As this forum testifies.

There needs to be more education and incentives to cook and eat a variety of fruit / veg regardless of its shape and looks. It's well known that UK people don't eat enough of them. A drop in price and increase in skills and recipe ideas would certainly help. Never mind reduce appalling waste.
    I expect that if the mis-shapes were sold very cheaply instead of dumped there would be no waste at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure