edited 4 March 2016 at 11:32AM in Old Style MoneySaving
603 replies 71.5K views

Replies

• VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RAS wrote: »
    The vast bulk of food waste goes into the compost.
    I'm not sure I'll ever buy into composting / a wormery although I do agree with the environmental benefits. There are enough rats in London and I'd rather they went elsewhere.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    .... you can't buy YS online :o

Nor can you just spend £2-4 on the essentials you needed.

Online shopping's fine for fatties/greedies/alcoholics and families. It's not for the slim/skinny or single :)
  • NewShadowNewShadow Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Has anyone NOT had to put their food waste bin out this week, or even at all?

There's only me in the house, and I'm only generally here for evening meals, so mine goes out every 2/3 weeks. No garden, so i can't compost, and the bulk of it is tea bags.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • PixieDustPixieDust Forumite
    944 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Fuddle - nobody here complained (re unpeeled spud mash) :)
  • NewShadowNewShadow Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there not a third episode of this?

There's nothing scheduled as upcoming on iplayer.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • wishuswishus Forumite
    977 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    *sigh * no 3rd episode.

I do hope they do an update programme next year.
    Still wanna live in a house in the countreeee! Debt-free/£25K paid OFF!
    February 2021 Grocery Challenge £172.98/£200 March grocery challenge £0/£170
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I do believe I've just seen the ultimate irony.....I just saw the M*rrisons Christmas ad on the television featuring in part a saccharine sweet child choosing a carrot to leave for Rudolph.....It's a BENDY WONKY CARROT!!! which following on from their response to HFWs programmes I find hilariously funny!!!
  • Emm-in-a-pickleEmm-in-a-pickle Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I do shop around, and find that in this area of North Wales all the supermarket veg is never a patch on my `magic greengrocer`, the stuff I buy there isn`t pre-bagged/use by dated/cosmetically uniform in shape/size. But it`s so fresh that the leaves of cabbage,cauli etc SQUEAK when you pick them up, because they are fresh. Sprouts are sold on the stalk, and the tops are also good to eat, the sprouts stay fresh till you `pick them yourself` from the stalk.
    Supermarkets only sell on the stalk vac-packed and topless for Christmas, and that is criminally wasteful I think.
    Also, if he has stuff that he isn`t going to sell at its best, he knows his customers, and who makes jam/chutney/keeps rabbits/a pig etc., and he would rather just give stuff to his regulars if he knows they`ll use it up or pass it on in the family or to a neighbour, so it won`t be wasted. If he can do this, and thrive as he is doing, it`s an example from a small business to the big boys, surely ?

( For anyone in the area, Steve at Jones Bros Farmshop, Mold Road, Wrexham. )

Morrisons aren`t the only ones who are getting it wrong with the fruit & veg, and to be fair, they do seem to be the only ones selling meat sensibly round here. Marrow bones, trotters, and pig cheek - I haven`t seen them in the other supermarkets.
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    13K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) Your magic greengrocer is cut from the same cloth as mine. It's a family firm, the old Dad retired a few years ago and now its son, dil and a couple of staff.

They do things like save trimmings for people with hens and bunnies and put partially damaged stuff aside to sell very cheaply. They are honest and down-to-earth people and I think the world of them.

They have an utter abhorrence of waste and cook up and eat the imperfects themselves. As the gaffer explained, they have a paid-for waste collection as part of their shop contract, so it doesn't cost them anything extra financially to jettison trimmings etc, they just can't abide the waste and would much rather it went to be used, by humans or by their pets and livestock.

I know several people who run small businesses and they are acutely aware of preventing waste, and much more motivated to do so than someone who works as an employee for a huge and wasteful company.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • cbrown372cbrown372 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Watched both episodes at the weekend and enjoyed them both, thank you Hugh, signed up. When I was selling second hand clothing I wish the goods coming in were as up to date and in good conditions as yours, sadly people thought their going away outfit last worn 45 years ago would sell no problem ��

Food bin out today, next week I will do better.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals