Mobile Roaming: Cheapest Calls When You're Abroad

Options

Comments

• meher
    meher Posts: 15,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    there's a good review on storytelecom but it isn't free to receive calls in the Great united states :mad: is this company a joke

But on a lesser serious note :D I don't understand how it works, do we not need a sim, do we use our own mobile and some kind of pre paid service like the teletopup calls?
  • smartphone
    Options
    coopsxx, I've used Truphone in the US before - not sure what the data rates are like these days, but the service was pretty good (I seem to remember it used T-Mobile over there). Service isn't quite as good in the UK, but it's probably worth considering.
  • mrcamp
    mrcamp Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Truphone actually has good data rates in the US. The last time I checked it was about $0.20/MB. Yes, 20 us cents!
    smartphone wrote: »
    coopsxx, I've used Truphone in the US before - not sure what the data rates are like these days, but the service was pretty good (I seem to remember it used T-Mobile over there). Service isn't quite as good in the UK, but it's probably worth considering.
  • coopsxx
    Options
    Yes it looks really good.

I put a different SIM in my phone to make sure it would work, and it says 'No Sim Card Found' ... I assumed this meant it was Sim Locked, but there is no prompt to insert an unlock code?

Therefore if I go for TruSim, I dont think it will work/
    and if I pay to get an unlock code, I dont see how/where I will insert it?

Can anyone help?

thank you.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2011 at 10:32AM
    Options
    coopsxx wrote: »
    ... I assumed this meant it was Sim Locked, but there is no prompt to insert an unlock code?
    If only it was that simple for all the phones!
    Also, it isn't 'sim locked'. It is 'locked to a network', but I am not sure that 'No Sim Card Found' message means exactly this.

Mobile Unlocking
  • trying_to_fly
    Options
    Going Vancouver for 3 months
    Wanted to know if I can get a sim as I use whatsapp all the time. So when I am not connected to wifi. I don't care for calls and texts but I do need data I guess to whatsapp for heavy usage

thanks
  • rjs200
    rjs200 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Going to HK, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore for 3 weeks in January.

The advice in the article is to switch off your data roaming *before* you leave UK- and to use wifi rather than 3g where at all possible overseas.

A couple of questions:

1) on my iPhone and iPad (I intend to take both) as well as a 'data roaming' switch there is also a 'mobile data' switch. Should I switch that off as well?

2) If I access internet and update apps via wifi with 3g switched off will I be charged against my sim-account or is *all* data usage via wifi effectively 'free'?

I can't locate an answer to these two questions in the article.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 October 2011 at 7:32PM
    Options
    1) it will make no difference abroad if data roaming is switched off. However, it is better to switch mobile data off too for extra protection.
    2) you may be asked to pay for wifi, but if you use wifi, your neither use, nor pay for mobile data.
  • rjs200
    rjs200 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for answering both questions- will switch off both before departure and stick to wifi where I can find them: either generic fee or 'FON' free hotspot access via my wired BT account. Cheers!
  • kronenbourg
    Options
    i have an orange san fran
    if i donwload skype app to it and whilst in austria switch off 3g and turn on wifi ( hotel has free wifi ) will i be able to phone home for free ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback