TalkTalk website hit by cyber-attack

Comments

• Still the big question is... Do i have the right to cancel without charge?
    It's laughable that I ask that question because if anything I should be charging them!!

no! they clearly state that this is a criminal act performed on THEM , they are the grieved party , not the general public

no "fines" etc cos its a criminal act on THEM

please change your password , the site has been down for almost 48 hrs , allowing access to our info .

bit like loosing your debit card with a piece of paper with your pin number on it , and not reporting it for 48 hrs , who,s guilty the "magic fairies"
  • I don't see how we couldn't leave them.
    They have not encrypted our data, and because of this we have a data protection issue, caused by them.
    So under the data protection act we must have something.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Talk Talk have 4 million customers......it takes time to contact all those people.... Give them a chance!

I'm a Talk Talk customer, I have my broadband with them - I was migrated over from AOL. When I opened my Talk Talk account, I certainly don't recall giving my date of birth. I pay by direct debit, so they only have my sort code and account number, which would be on a cheque anyway. So even if these hackers have access to my details I don't think they can actually do anything with them.

We need to remember that Talk Talk have been the victim of a crime. Do you normally blame the victim of the crime? Or the criminal?

As has already been said, i wouldn't be surprised if it was an inside job, someone who knew the way into the system.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • The T.T share price should go through the floor.
    An absolute shambles and they are not fit for purpose.
  • Diane60
    Diane60 Posts: 571
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Talk Talk have 4 million customers......it takes time to contact all those people.... Give them a chance!

I'm a Talk Talk customer, I have my broadband with them - I was migrated over from AOL. When I opened my Talk Talk account, I certainly don't recall giving my date of birth. I pay by direct debit, so they only have my sort code and account number, which would be on a cheque anyway. So even if these hackers have access to my details I don't think they can actually do anything with them.

We need to remember that Talk Talk have been the victim of a crime. Do you normally blame the victim of the crime? Or the criminal?

As has already been said, i wouldn't be surprised if it was an inside job, someone who knew the way into the system.

They have been the victim of a crime, the same way if I had my purse taken from my open handbag, which was on view to everyone and I am walking down Oxford Street.
    They had a duty of care to protect our data, this is what we were paying for.
    A lot of people out there are wondering what they can do to protect their identity now. Any answers?
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite

If a victim has become a victim through their own negligence, then they have to shoulder a significant part of the blame.

We don't have any reliable technical details of the hack yet, so it's hard to assess right now.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Millions of TalkTalk customers should change their passwords now after its website was hacked earlier this week...
    Read the full story:

TalkTalk website hacked: what you need to do now

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
  • Babbler
    Babbler Posts: 3,083
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They have potentially got all the details you gave talk talk to open an account with them... so they could use that to open other accounts in other companies in your name with potentially a different address.

Talk Talk have 4 million
    customers......it takes time to contact all those people.... Give them a chance!

Being bored is so boring Im bored of it... :rotfl:
  • MSE_Paloma wrote: »
    Millions of TalkTalk customers should change their passwords now after its website was hacked earlier this week...
    Read the full story:

TalkTalk website hacked: what you need to do now

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

your report of this , as actually faster than the email from talk talk

did you read about it on breakfast TV?
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    edited 23 October 2015 at 9:28AM

Ditto.
    I'm looking to get a renew my contract now,as this should give me a bit of leverage. Might as well buy a new VW at the same time :rotfl:
    I bet Sky deals et.al soon come down, mass migration due.
    it's an ill wind ;;;;;;;;;;;and all that
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport