Supermarket's Own Brand Value Ranges Disappearing?

Options

Comments

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One of my two local stores has just recently started stocking the Value Yogurts (4x fruit ones) again. The other store never stopped selling them. Still can't get them online for delivery (comes from a third, more distant store).

Neither store has Value Plain Yogurt. Which means Sainsburys is now quite a bit cheaper if you just want the cheapest plain yogurt.

What happened to Everyday Value bread? Seems to have stopped in the last few weeks. Tesco's own bread is now cheaper, but not as low as Tesco Value or Aldi's own.

We still have the 17p lemonade in all my local stores.
  • deely
    deely Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    been in 2 stores and can't find the EV crumpets I used to buy as they were slightly smaller so less calories than the other ones available :(
  • kanith
    Options
    :(
    I shop at Asda online and have noticed a few of the 250 Smartprice items available disappearing every week (it's now down to 226). So I wrote to Asda and they have said they are indeed phasing out the Smartprice Range completely! I'm so disappointed as the range not only is great value but often has less of unhealthy ingredients.

At a time when Food Banks are being opened every week the Smarprice range is helpful to so many families.

I just wonder why they're doing this and will the other supermarkets be phasing out their value ranges also.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Notice that Tesco also doing the same, no longer stock own brand spirits for example.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    kanith wrote: »
    :(
    I shop at Asda online and have noticed a few of the 250 Smartprice items available disappearing every week (it's now down to 226). So I wrote to Asda and they have said they are indeed phasing out the Smartprice Range completely! I'm so disappointed as the range not only is great value but often has less of unhealthy ingredients.

At a time when Food Banks are being opened every week the Smarprice range is helpful to so many families.

I just wonder why they're doing this and will the other supermarkets be phasing out their value ranges also.

They want to make a better profit margin out of you.

They can't do that if people are always buying the lower price item.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I placed an order online with Tesco for collection from my local store. That store doesn't do home shopping, so the collection point is a van that comes from another store nearby (not sure which one yet). Whilst shopping online, I discovered this other store stocks many products that my local (where I'm collecting the order) has discontinued.

It appears Tesco are tailoring the range of products to the customers of the store.

Apparently, not content that living costs are atronomical here, people in Cambridge don't want to buy Tesco Value products.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sadly like most businesses, the big supermarkets feel that perhaps Aldi and Lidls cater for the less well off customers Perhaps that's why their car parks are always full and Tescos and Sainsburys aren't Folk vote with their feet and their purses, if they stop selling something its their perogative . Its not ours to tell them what to sell.So we just go elsewhere with our cash simples :):):) I have changed my shopping habits over the past year and tailored it to suit my purse not what the big four want to sell me
  • EllieWellie
    EllieWellie Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco has recently introduced a range of 'farm' brands to replace its Everyday Value range, and these are in store now. Prices seem to be on a par or cheaper, such as the cooking bacon (which was 80p for 500g, but is currently 60p), and there appears to be a wider range of products. Links below to some of the news items:

http://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2016/03/tescos-move-launching-discount-own-label-ranges

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/mar/21/tesco-revamps-own-label-range-fight-discounters-aldi-lidl
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options
    Having tried many brands over the years I finally settled on Tesco own brand ketchup.

When I went shopping last week they didn't have any on the shelves so thinking that I just needed to wait for a restock I left it.

I went again yesterday and still no own brand ketchup so I have done a little digging and it seems they've killed it off.

Due to competition from the likes of Aldi and Lidl they are rationalizing what they sell. In reality it looks like they are moving to expensive branded ketchup only.

My local Tesco Extra had Heinz, Hellmans plus some even more expensive ketchup. They do still have the value ketchup, but I'm not keen on that one and the own brand reduced sugar version but that's the same price a the Heinz.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/30/tesco-cuts-range-products

I really do hope this cynical attempt to raise flagging profits backfires. With a business plan like this it's hardly surprising that budget supermarkets are carving chunks out of their business. I for one will not be buying expensive brands that I don't really like.
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • judexx
    judexx Posts: 495 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can't get Tesco value cornflakes at the moment - anyone know if it's just local store or if they've discontinued them ?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport