NST: October: Letting go of the love of stuff.

Comments

• Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sneaking in, sorry not for not posting yesterday, had a day off work
    Fridge/freezer arrived looks gorgeous.

Spent a wee bit yesterday food 7.80 and bought a top - whoops, before I am impaled onto the naughty step this month as well. My excuse 60% off and had a 5 pound voucher to use up this month, so spent 4.65.

Day 2 being good SFD, and no meat day sardine salad for lunch, omlette for tea planned.

Tomorrow off to a gig, ticket already bought, might be getting a lift but think I might be better going under my own steam, tad complicated lol.

Sunday planning to visit Nat Trust property - make the most of this weather. Might be a wee spend - cider festival.

Haven't seen Eat well for Less programme yet, will catch up tonight.

Bob - so close to your due date and on a bike and still working . Wow impressed. Hard going when you can't sleep at night. Good luck with the birth in case it happens early.

TOG I would get a rug, you would pay a hefty excess if you made an insurance claim and your premiums rise next yr, haven't you got any spare bits of carpet, some firms could join it up.

Have a lovely day turtles.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Have done my food shop and walked both ways. The walk home was slow as the bags were so heavy, and I'm sure I've shrunk an inch or 2 with the weight! I felt like I bought more than was necessary, yet it only came to about £33 :D. I have also analysed what it went on (dairy, veg, protein, snacks).

I contemplated going back to aldee to buy a box of beers for dh - about £15. And then I thought that I could buy him some individual bottles instead, thus spending less! So far, I've not got them as they are for Christmas and I've nowhere to store them.

I've done a workout, appropriately named Fierce Friday, although it was more like 'tomato-faced-Friday' by the time I'd finished!

I'll be joining those of you who are giving up chocolate this month, but I'll be giving up grains and sugar instead. I wil allow myself a 70% or more % aldee bar of choc of an evening though.

LSD - hello again! And congratulations on the pregnancy.

Calling - glad your fridge-freezer is a good-looking one!

tog - yep, get a rug! And have a lovely weekend away.

thrifty - do you have a freezer to put the milk in? Or could you do a 'milk' envelope like we do for kiddie activities? And set aside the amount that you will need for milk for the month, so if you only buy milk, then you can still keep the NSD.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 October 2015 at 3:05PM

I'll be joining those of you who are giving up chocolate this month, but I'll be giving up grains and sugar instead. I wil allow myself a 70% or more % aldee bar of choc of an evening though.

A 100g bar a chocolate every evening? :rotfl:
    thrifty - do you have a freezer to put the milk in? Or could you do a 'milk' envelope like we do for kiddie activities? And set aside the amount that you will need for milk for the month, so if you only buy milk, then you can still keep the NSD.

That's actually a good idea, should have thought of that as it was mentioned before as you say for the likes of after school clubs etc. Little things that cost money often. BTW our freezer is tiny too :( so will try that. Maybe start with £20 in that envelope.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • JennyG84
    JennyG84 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Hi there, I'm a newbie but have been lurking for a week or two on the forum and would really like to join in if I'm not too late? This forum has made me really excited about trying to pay off our debts, I don't know if that sounds weird but the positivity on here is contagious!
    Light Bulb Moment ~ September 2015
    £50/£1000 Emergency fund :)
  • apple_muncher
    thrifty - tee hee!:rotfl:
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    JennyG84 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm a newbie but have been lurking for a week or two on the forum and would really like to join in if I'm not too late? This forum has made me really excited about trying to pay off our debts, I don't know if that sounds weird but the positivity on here is contagious!

Welcome. I'll add you to the list of contenders.

TOG - I would cover the burn with a rug and then give it some thought. Have a lovely weekend.

Calling14 - on the naughty step you go. Did you really need the top or were you just seduced by the discount? I sometimes find it really hard to leave something with a big discount but having it then adds to the stress.

This morning it was 2.5 degrees when I set off to school and the fog was so thick you could barely see a thing. This afternoon it is 22 degrees.

I have completed a lot of work and given myself a maths induced headache, had a lovely woodland walk with my pooch, cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed upstairs and made pizza dough. The washing has dried on the line, the dishwasher has been emptied and I have done another job application so not a bad day all in all.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • traveller
    traveller Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    Hi everyone, I was supposed to be having an Asada delivery in an hour and they hve just cancelled :mad: Someone will call me to later to reschedule! On the one hand I couldn't be bothered to unpack it anyway :rotfl: but on the other, I wanted and need the food as I shop monthly and we are bare bones at the moment. Oh well, worse things happen at sea. Welcome back Littleskintdragon :)Andcongratulations. Welcome Jenny :) I'm glad your happy with your fridge calling and Apple,lol at the exercise 'tomato faced friday ' really made me laugh' :D
    :A Your Always in my heart, you never ever will be forgotten-9/9/14:heart2:
  • traveller thanks for the welcome. Theyve cancelled on me beforre, said they hadnt taken a payment yet there was no issue with my bank account?. I'd ordered for a sun afternoon when the shops were closed and needed the stuff for lunches the next day. Needless to say ive not ordered with them since!!

Nsd number 1 all done, just making shepherds pie and fruit scones for tea. Fingers crossed it's all edible!!
    Still here..... but working on that!
  • apple_muncher
    We are having a loose version of fish and chips for tea. (can't get them from the chippy anyway as they are all glutenised). So it is pan fried salmon in a sweet chili sauce and home made chips - parboiled and tossed in oil and salt and then oven baked. And lo veggies from yesterday. Yum!
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Apple - Our local chippie does a GF night, I wonder if yours would consider it? They've won awards for their food.

Thrifty - Well. My only thought other than going down the UHT route is do you think its worth learning some new breakfast specials that would reduce your milk intake? Just a thought.

Hi Jenny - nice to meet you :)

Traveller - See this is what bothers me at the thought of ordering online stuff for the shop. Because if they did that to me, I'd be skuppered. So I end up buying stuff every day & cycling it to work. Paranoid yes, safe yes :)

Calling - Thank you very much. Hope you enjoy your new fridge freezer, its lovely having something like that, I bet you'll be organising it all weekend :) And enjoy your National Trust trip, this weather is just right for outings.

TOG - I think these shows always go for people at the ends of the spectrum. They want good TV at the end of the day.

Dolly - Cycling is quite a political topic in the capital, Im not very right on myself, but I feel support for those that are trying to improve things for me & all the other workaday cyclists. The superhighsways are a hot topic at present. As in, is keeping bike traffic & car traffic seperate a bad idea?, is it teaching car drivers to be lazy because they know that cyclists arent 'in their way' should we all learn to share better the roads we do have? I just want to cycle to work/school & thats it, but then again the headlines are grim when you do hear of incidents. Food for thought.

A good day at the cafe. Except everyone came at once. Now if I could just teach them to spread out their visits like good people :) Cant complain, have managed to pay £200 to our account this week, so all good there.

Found £1 on the road on my way to pick up son, so roadkill for October off to a flying start.

Made home made burgers for dinner which were a gazillion £ cheaper than buying ready made fresh ones. I paid £3.80 for 1kilo mince, & made 4 burgers straight off, will freeze the rest. They wanted £5 for 8 ready made burgers that were much smaller.

Ok, hot bath calling.

Night

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport