Sunday fun: what's the cringiest money saving you've witnessed??

Options

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    owlet wrote: »
    I don't drink caffeine & if a cafe doesn't serve fruit teas (infusions), I ask for a cup of hot water but always say charge for a tea. The vast majority of places then don't charge anyway . It's a cheek to just do it though!!

I do lovely herbal teas. If you asked me, I probably wouldnt mind, Im nice like that:D however, its a bit mean to just do it without asking.

Im always amazed at how people think a cafe works. Its actually incredibly hard to make a living as a small trade, as you have to sell an awful lot to make your margins, & the overheads are massive. Trouble is the chain cafes have spoilt people to the realities, and we all know that they dont pay tax etc...

This thread is fun :)
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lhead123 wrote: »
    You guys should keep an eye out on tv for the 'extreme cheapskates' program....it's american, but some of the things they do are horrendous!

There was a guy who only had 1 lightbulb and would put it in the room that everyone was using so no one could leave a light on anywhere else! If someone wanted the toilet they had to take a candle...made me wonder if they went through lots of candles would it have been cheaper to have another few lightbulbs?

There was also a lady who was a millionaire and served her guest a sandwich made with catfood tuna instead of proper tinned tuna because it 'tastes the same' and was something like 8cents cheaper per tin :/

Thanks for this - i watched a couple of episodes on YouTube last night - hilarious!! :rotfl:
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • TimeToDoIt
    Options
    These are great - keep em coming !!!
    ~~I am debt free~~
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    Two years running I had the same Secret Santa buy me a gift and all I got was an IOU that was never redeemed. (I recognised the writing)
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • TimeToDoIt
    Options
    I was taken out for pizza one night by a guy, when we were there he advised me that the pizzas were really very big so we would only need to share one medium between us.

He ordered two glasses of tap water.

And when I suggested a glass of wine, he made a real point of emphasising it was a SMALL one to the waiter.

Happy birthday to me.

I would have preferred a nice home cooked meal anyway...
    ~~I am debt free~~
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    TimeToDoIt wrote: »
    I was taken out for pizza one night by a guy, when we were there he advised me that the pizzas were really very big so we would only need to share one medium between us.

He ordered two glasses of tap water.

And when I suggested a glass of wine, he made a real point of emphasising it was a SMALL one to the waiter.

Happy birthday to me.

I would have preferred a nice home cooked meal anyway...

You should have tipped it over his head upon getting the wine served to you, Some people are sooooooo tite they squeak when they walk. :)
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    When I first started my MSE journey - I called in all the favours I could to ensure I didn't pay for a meal out (we often had lunches) for a month. It worked! I had been too generous previously and now I cashed in those IOUs!

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • joeblags
    joeblags Posts: 169 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2015 at 9:44AM
    Options
    'extreme cheapskates'

that's not even ben frugal, some of them are just a throw away from living a 3rd world life lmao

the light bulb woman - seriously , how does she have a partner?
  • Muhren
    Muhren Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    joeblags wrote: »
    'extreme cheapskates'

that's not even ben frugal, some of them are just a throw away from living a 3rd world life lmao

the light bulb woman - seriously , how does she have a partner?

Unless you realy really have to, and only for a short period of time need to live like this I really can't see the point. Isn't life supposed to be about living?

There was a thread on here a while back about someone who gave a whole list of ways to live more frugally. I can remember there were some belters on there but can't think what they were or what the thread was called. The only one I can remeber was about watering down milk or it may have even been having water on your cereal!
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016
    Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

• joeblags
    Options
    If I want to save money ill make more of an effort to turn items off that arnt been used inc lights , spend less on crap at the shops. not stuff that effects how I live. some people really need to draw a line and not go below it. as for watering milk down, its what 89p for 4pints at asda.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure