Changes you have noticed

Now I am in my 60s I have had some positive changes like retiring, children all grown up (youngest graduated when I was 60) no mortgage but there are obviously some less positive things like needing glasses, needing cataract op but not bad enough yet (would have been a couple of years ago but guidelines have changed, at least that's what they tell me.)

Anyway the worst change is I can't sleep. Now I have always liked my bed, with 4 kids and 20 years between youngest and oldest I had many years when I was kept awake or woken in the night. Now I can sleep as much as I like except that I can't. Most nights I am managing maybe 3 or 4 hours and I wake up zombie like.

Any tips welcome and is there anything similar for other people?
Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500

Comments

• mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Oh dear, no tips. I am so desperate for sleep I have even had a week of sleeping tablets to try to reset my sleeping pattern but no success. Dr won't let me have any more.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • What has worked for me in the past has been a Night Nurse tablet. This has enabled me to have a 10hr to 12hr brilliant sleep. I would under no circumstances recommend you taking Night Nurse tablets on a REGULAR basis. good luck and night night.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    Sad to say no tips other than a long walk before bed :o

I am having similar problems sleeping but mine is due to the meds that I am on, I'm tired all the time but lucky if I get more than 2 hours sleep at a time. I have to force myself to stay in bed at night until the next wave of sleep catches up with me, if I even as much as switch the light on, that's me up for a couple of hours at least :(

Sometimes I wish I could go back to my old meds as they knocked me out for 8 hours at a time :)
  • indsty
    indsty Posts: 372 Forumite
    It sounds like you have always been very busy and active - that makes you tired. Are you sure you are still being active enough - walking, gardening, getting outside, going to yoga, running a marathon (whatever you enjoy!) etc.

Also try overhauling your diet. It is so easy to get into bad habits. Although I thought I ate a reasonably good diet I recently went to see a nutritionist who gave me some really good advice and I definitely feel the benefit of it, both in my sleep and general wellbeing.
  • are you sure that it isn`t quiet heartburn waking you up?

Try a gaviscon just one time and see. Have the main meal mid day and just a light meal by 6 ish. Then only water to bedtime

Magnesium is often missing, magnesium flakes in a nice bath or a magnesion oil to put on the skin, mag is best absorbed through the skin not via a tablet

I struggle with sleep too and find that getting away from any screen an hour before bedtime is good. Last night I had 7 1/2 hours with one loo wake up. If I cannot get to sleep then I put my air cleaner on for a timed two hours, the hum is soothing

Aches and pains can wake anybody up, the need to turn over. If shoulder pain and a side sleeper then try hugging a pillow, to rest the shoulder. I get thumb and wrist ache because I have a lot to do in the house these days, so I wear an appropriate support at night all from the physioroom. Last night I needed to wear one to support the wrists and thumbs

Taking strong nightnurse tablet is not a good idea, best to get into a natural habit. Save the nightnurse for when you cannot breathe at night with a heavy cold

There are lots of positives about being 60 but there is a slippery downwards slope starts at about 65. I am 67 and have just moved 1/2 tonne of fuel for the stove, all positive as it helps me to retain my bone and muscle strength and right now at my age, every little helps
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Cataract ops here, too, in the far distant future, I hope, as I'm a wimp. (An internet friend has just had one of hers and says the results are amazing).

My spine is wearing out at an alarming rate and I did have problems sleeping (I do wake, I notice, several times, but only very briefly), but either the before bed Tramadol and/or the Kepra I need to stop spinal spasms in the night, seem to knock me out (but I wouldn't recommend them).

I feel very frustrated at not being able to do things I once could, that my husband either won't do, puts off or doesn't do properly.

Grand children are a delight, as you don't have to keep them.

I hate seeing aging personalities on tv,as they make me realise that I am nearly as old as they are.(I'm 66).

Like friends on a forum I use, I have sudden reminders, usually via tv, of things I hadn't thought about or seen for years, so we often have a laugh about them. The latest was home decoration , as in the new BBC comedy 'From Cradle to Grave.'
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Maybe the walk thing is it. My old dog died last year so my late night walk has gone. Might have to try a walk after supper. Pain isn't really an issue, well sometimes but not regular, heartburn not something I am aware of and I am busy as I do voluntary work one day a week and have grandchildren 3 or 4 times a week and am carer for my disabled husband so I don't sit around. In the last month I have painted 3 bedrooms, stripped the kitchen ready to decorate and helped one of my children move house. Maybe I am overtired?

Thanks for all the tips, I do love having a cold so I can take nightnurse, makes it almost worth having a cold.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    indsty wrote: »
    It sounds like you have always been very busy and active - that makes you tired. Are you sure you are still being active enough - walking, gardening, getting outside, going to yoga, running a marathon (whatever you enjoy!) etc.

Also try overhauling your diet. It is so easy to get into bad habits. Although I thought I ate a reasonably good diet I recently went to see a nutritionist who gave me some really good advice and I definitely feel the benefit of it, both in my sleep and general wellbeing.

I am trying to eat healthy, making more homemade meals and baking as I have more time. Maybe I am eating too much, that could be it.:rotfl:
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    OK plan for tonight. No computer after 6, some homemade chicken soup for my evening meal, it is bubbling away nicely and is my favourite comfort food but I will stop before I am stuffed. Nice walk before bed and then a warm bath and bed. Fingers crossed, I really need some sleep.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Reading a book in bed is guaranteed to send me to sleep.

Have you tried it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport