Get Lean for Halloween with Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Tamsak
    Tamsak Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    As a previously super fitness freak that let himself go, and now fighting to get back in shape I have gained new understanding of the battle weight loss hopefuls deal with.

I personally think counting the weight is not the way to go. As we eat more healthily and exercise more (hope your're doing both) we gain muscle mass. That muscle is phenomenally heavier than fat and as such you could happily burn 8lbs of fat but gain 8 lbs of muscle all whilst losing an inch off your waist. Thus the scales would lie to you demoralizing you further.

That said, before and after photos are the way to go. The only true way to see the difference.

On a side note, as you burn the fat you will have days where you feel great (you've lost some fat so of course you do), but soon after that fat loss will mentally emphasize what you have left to lose, making you feel down.

Ignoring that roller coaster is essential to your mental health whilst getting healthy - (yeah i said getting healthy not losing weight). It's a long term game and eating healthier and getting more exercise can only improve your situation. You need only to keep it going and going and going. It is not temporary weight loss but a change in life, so it does not need to be rushed, simply kept on going.

GL to all of you.
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Commiserations, tweets. Swansea seems to have a hex on you.

TIE, well done on the walk – hope you’re not suffering too much. Also hope pooch is better and you can get a good night’s sleep tonight.

Syns bank balance 10
    Sunday’s syns: Walkers French Fries (4 ½ syns), piccalilli on sausage (1 syn)
    End of week balance 3 ½ (I forgot to make the jelly)

I’ll be really scunnered if I haven’t lost anything when I WI tomorrow.

Monday
    Breakfast: beans on hexb toast, apple
    Lunch: AH roasted veg couscous (1 syn), pomegranate, Total 0% fat Greek yogurt, tomatoes and cucumber (I’ve been planning to have this for over a week now!)
    Dinner: chunky chilli & rice with green beans
    Snacks (choose from): choc digestive (4 syns), hexa cheese & grapes, Kit Kat (5 ½ syns)

Have a great day, everyone.
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • TakeItEazy
    TakeItEazy Posts: 2,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Tamsak wrote: »
    As a previously super fitness freak that let himself go, and now fighting to get back in shape I have gained new understanding of the battle weight loss hopefuls deal with.

I personally think counting the weight is not the way to go. As we eat more healthily and exercise more (hope your're doing both) we gain muscle mass. That muscle is phenomenally heavier than fat and as such you could happily burn 8lbs of fat but gain 8 lbs of muscle all whilst losing an inch off your waist. Thus the scales would lie to you demoralizing you further.

That said, before and after photos are the way to go. The only true way to see the difference.

On a side note, as you burn the fat you will have days where you feel great (you've lost some fat so of course you do), but soon after that fat loss will mentally emphasize what you have left to lose, making you feel down.

Ignoring that roller coaster is essential to your mental health whilst getting healthy - (yeah i said getting healthy not losing weight). It's a long term game and eating healthier and getting more exercise can only improve your situation. You need only to keep it going and going and going. It is not temporary weight loss but a change in life, so it does not need to be rushed, simply kept on going.

GL to all of you.

You are preaching to the converted :D but thank you anyway :A
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results :T
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13 :cry:
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,434 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy your Tuesday Lois :)

Happy Monday to those of you who are off tomorrow.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Smedley
    Smedley Posts: 257 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi all, I wish to congratulate everyone on the losses!

I just wanted to post an update. I have been very busy recently, sorry for not managing to follow the forum!

My experiment eating less meat went well, I found I could replace “mince meat” with “Quorn mince” quite easily, especially where the dish was flavoursome.

Quorn Steak strips and Chicken pieces were more of a challenge because they lacked flavour, even after marinating. I managed to find a compromise, half meat and half Quorn was just the right recipe for me.

I experimented with Indian Vegetarian dishes such as “Aloo Saag”, “Chana Masala”, “Dal Tadka”, I found them both filling and tasty, but I have to refine my recipes.

My weight loss is still on track, I have now lost 15.2kg (2st 5.5lb) in 27 weeks, I am losing smaller amounts recently, at least the weight loss trend continues downwards.

Hope this helps someone :)
    SW loss= 15.5kg / 2st 6.2lb
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Have been chatting on my new dating site. so far much nicer people than the last one . received this and thought how nice and how so true.
    We seem to have lost 1940sgal and I have been dying to know how things are going with her date. cos as you all know I am a nosey old sod.

11232359_10207492172126934_6146171955796566355_n.jpg?oh=e7926b58880cb2f63843561d99482f88&oe=5674E952

That's lovely Meg really strikes a cord with me. Having spent most of the year unwell and not interested in going out etc and not in the best of form I really learnt who my friends were and people showed their true colours good and bad!
  • orlao
    orlao Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Morning,

Well, horrible weather here today but must get the dog out at some point (he's gone back to bed for now :rotfl:)

WI tomorrow :eek:

Todays menu
    Breakfast
    'Fry up' Bacon, eggs, baked beans, tomatoes, mushrooms Chicken sausage (1 syn) Tea
    Lunch
    Warburtons Thin (HEA) Light cheese triangles (HEB) smoked salmon, radishes, peppers, lemon,water

Dinner
    Gammon, Egg, Corn on the cob, roasted veg (Onion, tomato, potato, shallots, courgette, butternut squash - all from the bottom of the fridge) sugarsnap peas, pepsi max

Snacks

Plum, Banana, orange and maybe a DG skinny latte (2.5 syns) more tea...

Does anyone have a link for the Hairy Bikers beef that gets mentioned a lot please - it's that kind of weather :) TIA
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Shala, you make me laugh, stay in there and behave yourself lol . Or we will poke the stick through the bars at you!
    IpLKWAAA7
    The Holiday is best enjoyed with a nice bottle of red :D Roll on Christmas.

Meg – A pet rabbit or a rabbit to eat? I just got the one in the chiller cabinet. That’s my weekly allowance a tin or 500ml bottle. Any more and I’d be back on my addiction. Good to know its good with vodka though! Would be a nice hot day drink.
    Hope you are ok Durham mim:A
    Ha ha Saverupper, typical male behaviour eat the stuff and put the empty packet back in the cupboard. I suppose it wasn’t him? Hope you told him off lol.
    Your holiday sounds fab Scarlet Marble! Lots of eggs, salads and fruit I’d be going for during the day. Don't undereat either as you'll go all floppy in the heat!
    Lush - Giant M&MS? Am I missing something here?
    That’s some target Joee! Really wish you well with that. Would be amazing!
    Nice to see you back Crapapple, well done with all the running that’s fab. You can pull it back now. Make sure you stick around.
    Hope the dog is ok now TIE. Great unexpected Body Magic though!
    So weekend wasn't too bad foodwise as far as food goes. Friday night I went to the gym and had Steak, BNS Chips, Cauliflower Rice and Mayflower Curry Sauce. This was lovely! Def be doing this again.
    Been having the feeling like I've been getting the cold off and on all week, sore throat and aches and pains. Felt rubbish on Saturday and all I wanted was a tin of Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup and cheese and ham toasties. They were on wholemeal rolls mind you as if that makes it any better! lol :rotfl:
    Yesterday I was up early at 8, went to the gym and then cooked myself I massive roast dinner I was starving! :rotfl:
    M&S Rotisserie Chicken, Frylight Roastie, Roasted Veg, Ratatouille, Carrot & Parnsip, Red Cabbage and Garlic Mushrooms. Told you it was massive!!! :rotfl:
    Throat was still sore last night so went and got some ice cream. So all in all not a great weekend food wise but certainly not a disaster either considering I was meant to be out for a Chinese and cocktails. Back too it today, got to get something off this week for my own sanity! :rotfl:

• Tete_en_l'Air
    Tete_en_l'Air Posts: 7,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hola everyone - I've had a stressful few days so been MIA. My granny has been unwell and consequently ended up in hospital, and as I'm the only young/active relative nearby it's me who ends up doing all the ferrying about, housework, seeing to her dog, etc. She is doing much better after a couple of blood transfusions but honestly I hope they keep her in until she's much stronger rather than send her home quickly only for her to do too much and deteriorate again.

Anyway, I have mostly managed to stay on track. I've had less speed food than I should have but I did resist the McDonald's drive-thru near the hospital several times so I'm proud of myself for that :A After totting up my Syns I've come in just under the weekly limit so hopefully not too much damage done. The worst bit was THIRTY SYNS for a tin of leek and potato soup with two slices of white bread and butter! :eek: I did run 12 miles on Saturday morning though so hopefully that's a bit of damage limitation!

Back on it today with a brekkie of Mullerlight, an apple and two passion fruits. Perhaps I'll rustle up some (FREE!) soup for lunch and am thinking some chicken and roast veg for tea. Back to work tomorrow (new job!) so I need to have a think about my packed lunches and snacks for the week.

Looking forward to the new challenge - thanks so much for organising Shala!

Welcome to the newbies/returners and hope everyone has a fab bank hol!
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
  • Lois_Lane
    Lois_Lane Posts: 3,449 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all :)

We had rain through the night but it's stopped now and there's a good chance we might get some sunshine later, fingers crossed!
    Hola everyone - I've had a stressful few days so been MIA. My granny has been unwell and consequently ended up in hospital, and as I'm the only young/active relative nearby it's me who ends up doing all the ferrying about, housework, seeing to her dog, etc. She is doing much better after a couple of blood transfusions but honestly I hope they keep her in until she's much stronger rather than send her home quickly only for her to do too much and deteriorate again.

Best wishes to your granny, it's worrying when they're in and out of hospital. Hopefully they do make sure she's recovered sufficiently before they discharge her, but sadly, my experience with Mum and MIL were just the opposite. The hospitals were so keen to avoid bed blocking that they were sent home and then it was down to the family to run around and try to make sure the promised care package was put in place.
    The worst bit was THIRTY SYNS for a tin of leek and potato soup with two slices of white bread and butter! :eek: I did run 12 miles on Saturday morning though so hopefully that's a bit of damage limitation!

It's hard to believe that something so innocuous can be so high in syns, but your run will have helped burn it off. Home made soups are very easy to make and syn free, the white bread and butter is a different matter! :rotfl:
    orlao wrote: »
    Good Morning,
    Does anyone have a link for the Hairy Bikers beef that gets mentioned a lot please - it's that kind of weather :) TIA

Here it is.
    Smedley wrote: »
    Hi all, I wish to congratulate everyone on the losses!

I just wanted to post an update. I have been very busy recently, sorry for not managing to follow the forum!

My experiment eating less meat went well, I found I could replace “mince meat” with “Quorn mince” quite easily, especially where the dish was flavoursome.

Quorn Steak strips and Chicken pieces were more of a challenge because they lacked flavour, even after marinating. I managed to find a compromise, half meat and half Quorn was just the right recipe for me.

Hope this helps someone :)

Welcome back Smedley - pleased to hear you're still succeeding with your weight loss journey.

I've used Quorn quite a lot in the past and found it can be very bland so it does need spicing up with plenty of flavour. The steak strips are good done as a stroganoff, and I've used the chicken pieces with pasta in a tomato and onion sauce spiced with paprika, fennel seeds and a touch of chilli.

Have a good day everyone. I've got a feeling I'm going to get a lot of knitting done today!

LL :)
    Start BMI - 38.7 Current BMI - 31.2 Target BMI - 26.3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family