Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Options

Comments

• andy23
    andy23 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Not sure if anyone has the answer, but my "new customer" deal expires in June. Should I start negotiating with them now or leave it longer and nearer the time?

I'm currently on m100 and they will want £47 after that....

• PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    andy23 said:
    Hi,

Not sure if anyone has the answer, but my "new customer" deal expires in June. Should I start negotiating with them now or leave it longer and nearer the time?

Wait till your 30 days from contract ending would be my advice
  • JasperAlex
    Options
    andy23 said:
    Hi,

I would call up anyway to accept the automated message offering to freeze the price increase for 6 months without entering into a new contract and that should take you to the end of your contract. Just choose the 'I'm thinking of leaving option' and you'll be able to accept it without speaking to anyone or waiting on hold music. 

However if I were you, I would probably try and negotiate a new contract now. Come May they will have you over a barrel with the discounts ending plus the price increase. 
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,
    our contract with virgin comes to an end in I think July but we are thinking of going to Freeview. My problem is we need to keep the internet so I’m not sure how to approach this as we obviously want a deal on the internet. Would I be better cancelling the whole package and then just before the end contact them and ask to keep the internet or just cancel the tv package? 
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    our contract with virgin comes to an end in I think July but we are thinking of going to Freeview. My problem is we need to keep the internet so I’m not sure how to approach this as we obviously want a deal on the internet. Would I be better cancelling the whole package and then just before the end contact them and ask to keep the internet or just cancel the tv package? 
    Just call them now (because of the price increase) and take the "thinking of leaving" option. Tell them you'd consider dropping the TV from the package and ask what they can do landline and broadband for. Or, if you want to wait until close to the end of your package, you can do so. Always worth looking around and seeing what deals you can get with other providers for a similar service, before you call, although they probably won't be able to match Virgin's speed, to which you say you can live with a lower speed.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• harrys_nan
    Options
    Thank you.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • harrys_nan
    Options

UPDATE

Just spoke to them on the phone and we have the same package for £44, currently paying £45 but when our contract ends it was going to be £85. I am more than happy
    Pays to be cheerful

Harry born 23/09/2008

UPDATE,
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

UPDATE

Just spoke to them on the phone and we have the same package for £44, currently paying £45 but when our contract ends it was going to be £85. I am more than happy
    Pays to be cheerful
    Well done. People will tell you you could have got it cheaper by giving your notice to cancel etc., but it's a hassle free solution and you've got what you want, at a price that suits you.  :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

UPDATE

Pays to be cheerful
    Well done
  • houseofcharacter
    Options
    Hi, I have just spoken to Virgin Media to haggle for a new price. Have been paying £66.99 (just out of contract a couple of months ago) and have managed to get it reduced to £65.00 for 18 months. I do pay for all day phone calls as well due to elderly relatives etc and they have chucked in the larger TV package. My broadband speed stays at M100. Not sure that it's a great result but it would save me £5.99 a month over the period of the 18 months. In light of what is coming overall this year, at least we can stay in and watch more telly!!!  I was on the phone for over 30 minutes in total but at least I got a better offer than the £4.00 for the next six months which was replayed several times on the line whilst I waited.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback