Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

edited 25 August 2015 at 3:36PM in Phones & TV
2.2K replies 478.4K views

Replies

• sunshine81sunshine81 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Rang to cancel, we have tv broadband and phone, next month will be £60.15. They offered it all for £38.90 for 10 months on a new 12 month contract but with no inclusive landline calls which is fine. But I need cheaper! Do I tell them to go ahead and cancel it, and risk losing the above offer, or do I tell them I'll think about it? How will I get a better offer?
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sunshine81 wrote: »
    Do I tell them to go ahead and cancel it, and risk losing the above offer, or do I tell them I'll think about it? How will I get a better offer?

Cancel only the TV part and wait for an offer. The offer may be in your MySky home page or they may write to you or email you. This offer would be for at least 50% off for the full 12 months and often with no recontract. You may get an offer quickly or it may take longer, sometimes even after switch off but as it's TV it's easy to switch back on.

Once you have an offer for the TV you can then ask them to look at the LR/BB. This isn't as easy to cancel especially if you don't want to lose your number.
  • ljs2000ljs2000 Forumite
    85 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi

I have full tv, phone and broadband at the moment so pay well over £100 per month. I'm not in a contract and have never haggled.

I'm due to move in a week or so. I haven't contacted them yet as I'm not sure whether to haggle them down first or get my husband to be a new customer. I can't remember how long it takes to set up a new customer and I would need bb quite quickly. Any advice?

Many thanks
  • BuzzzBuzzz Forumite
    122 Posts
    Stupid question maybe, but is it worth haggling as a new customer, or do you get what you get? Any 'deals' to be asked for?

Currently, according to their website, broadband, phone (UK mobile and landline numbers free eves and weekends) and standard Sky tv channels is £31.40 a month, which is over £15 cheaper than we're paying right now with another provider.
  • TropezTropez Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Cancelled Sky TV a few weeks ago.

Received a letter through the post before the TV was switched off with an offer.

Negotiated the following:

60% off Variety + Sports and Movies for 12 months.
    50% off Multiscreen and HD for 12 months.
    £100 credit
    £10 off Line Rental for 12 months.
    50% off Fibre Pro for 12 months.

Confirmed contract only applies to line rental and broadband, so no new contract for TV.

Possibly could have got better had I waited for the TV to be switched off but it was due to go off around Xmas time and my wife would not have been happy about that.
  • Been with Sky for over 15 years and rang to cancel hoping for a better deal, paying around £80 a month for variety package, 2 boxes, fibre and evening&weekend calls.

Not impressed with their miserly offer of saving £20 for 10 months on a 12 month contract so have handed in my notice. Just hoping a better offer is forthcoming as I do like Sky and my OH would never move!
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buzzz wrote: »
    Stupid question maybe, but is it worth haggling as a new customer, or do you get what you get? Any 'deals' to be asked for?

Currently, according to their website, broadband, phone (UK mobile and landline numbers free eves and weekends) and standard Sky tv channels is £31.40 a month, which is over £15 cheaper than we're paying right now with another provider.

The haggling, mentioned on here is by current customers who have cancelled or say they are about to cancel services, so are offered retention deals.

The package you mention, assuming the current offer of free broadband, would normally be £17.40 line, £4 weekend, evening & mobile calls, Original tv £20. Total £41.40.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been with Sky for over 15 years and rang to cancel hoping for a better deal, paying around £80 a month for variety package, 2 boxes, fibre and evening&weekend calls.

Not impressed with their miserly offer of saving £20 for 10 months on a 12 month contract so have handed in my notice. Just hoping a better offer is forthcoming as I do like Sky and my OH would never move!

You probably have an offer of at least 50% off, already on My Sky, though some people don't get offers. (I didn't last year)
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    You probably have an offer of at least 50% off, already on My Sky, though some people don't get offers. (I didn't last year)

That would be nice, nothing there yet and dont want to have to bite the bullet and cancel my cancellation.

How long can I safelyt leave it and without affecting my current services, have a month till 7th Jan before everything switches off.

Great advice and comments on here btw:T
  • TropezTropez Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    That would be nice, nothing there yet and dont want to have to bite the bullet and cancel my cancellation.

How long can I safelyt leave it and without affecting my current services, have a month till 7th Jan before everything switches off.

Great advice and comments on here btw:T

It was about two weeks from cancelling to receiving a letter making an offer to stay in my case. And it was about the same amount of time the last time I cancelled before I received an offer to stay (via email I seem to recall). Just make sure your marketing preferences enable them to contact you and they'll probably make an offer.