Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »
    I cancelled my Sky package and I have now passed my notice period and it is still on. I'm enjoying this freebie of course but should I tell them? I don't want to get charged as I will be paying full price!

When mine last went off, it was the following day to expected and early in the morning. Perhaps the delay is because it's a weekend.

Mind, you , in the early days of Sky, my son cancelled his tv and it stayed on for two months, with no charge as they acknowledged that it would go off.

I assume you aren't watching something free from Sky, which gives the illusion of still being switched on?
  • teddysmum
    Options
    Thanks for confirming that VM cannot beat sky.

I've just priced broadband (slowest),line and anytime calls from Virgin and it works out at about £32.70 for the first 12 months, if you pay line upfront, then it goes up by £9, provided that you renew pay up front.

Now, as in a thread I started TalkTalk have drastically reduced their offer with no gift voucher or cashback on Topcashback, so it makes Virgin not look so bad, as you get fast broadband, but the tv is still very expensive.

However, £32.70 then £41.70 is a lot more than I can justify spending out on, as at the moment I get the Original tv, line, Anytime calls and broadband for just £26.70 and that's not including the £50 cashback I had.

I'm not feeling optimistic about tomorrow, when I was hoping for a good phone/bb offer and then take back tv.
  • catswhiskers4
    Options
    I just did an online chat with Sky and despite offering me 60% which expires today, they wouldn't give me it. They only offered 50%. When I was phoned up with the offer, they mentioned seeing what they could do with my broadband too, but the Sky advisor couldn't offer me anything. I was obviously through to the wrong person. Will they call me again? My contract doesn't end until 31st October so I've still lots of time.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just did an online chat with Sky and despite offering me 60% which expires today, they wouldn't give me it. They only offered 50%. When I was phoned up with the offer, they mentioned seeing what they could do with my broadband too, but the Sky advisor couldn't offer me anything. I was obviously through to the wrong person. Will they call me again? My contract doesn't end until 31st October so I've still lots of time.

I had a 60% off offer showing via interactive service yesterday -but today it has dropped to 50% for 10 months in line with the website. Wonder if it coincides with the new month?
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    When mine last went off, it was the following day to expected and early in the morning. Perhaps the delay is because it's a weekend.

Mind, you , in the early days of Sky, my son cancelled his tv and it stayed on for two months, with no charge as they acknowledged that it would go off.

I assume you aren't watching something free from Sky, which gives the illusion of still being switched on?

No, it's definitely still on as the sport channels are working and was also able to record something last night. It's still on today, I'm tempted not to say anything but I know the b*stards will end up charging me. I'll see if it's off when I get home later and decide then.

Also, my offer to come back has now changed to 50% for 10 months like others having previously been 50% and then 60% off for 12 months. I'm planning to keep it off for a while now so I'll see if it goes back to anything better after a period of time, I was being greedy and hoping for credit in addition to the 60% off!
  • catswhiskers4
    Options
    I'm going to just keep going with the cancellation and see what happens. In another couple of weeks they might offer me something better. Think I might go to Plusnet for broadband and hopefully get a decent % off my Sky tv. Otherwise if it cancels, I'll just use Now TV for a bit and see what deals are about.
  • teddysmum
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »

Also, my offer to come back has now changed to 50% for 10 months like others having previously been 50% and then 60% off for 12 months. I'm planning to keep it off for a while now so I'll see if it goes back to anything better after a period of time, I was being greedy and hoping for credit in addition to the 60% off!

In which case we refuse the offer and go without tv. 50% for 10 months is only just over 40% off over the 12 months.
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2016 at 6:37PM
    Options
    So home from work and it is still on, I think I'm going to keep quiet for a while and hope I don't regret it!

Also, the 60% off offer is back in my sky account, strange goings on.

Edited to add it has now gone off, nice while it lasted!!
  • catswhiskers4
    Options
    I no longer have any offers on my account. :cool: Will look again in a few days.
  • AngelPatch
    Options
    I've been a loyal Sky customer for EVER, paying £74 for my Sky TV package. Reading your Forum messages I decided to haggle for a better price. The first Sky Adviser offered 20% off & despite my threatening to leave Sky he wouldn't budge. So I gave 31 days notice. A week later Sky rang me offering 35% off if I come back. I was just about to take that when I saw a message on your Forum saying that their Sky Interactive button gave a message offering 50% for people who had left Sky in the last 12 months. I checked & discovered that I, too, had that 50% message! THANK YOU, MSE, for helping me get my new Sky deal: 50% off for 12 months, no contract, so I can give 31 days notice and quit at any time. Just saved myself £372 a year! I'm very happy with it! :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback