Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Options

Comments

• caveman8006
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    If I log into my MySky account, my notice period having run out on Jan 9th, in the "left Sky in the last 12 months section" I'm immediately offered 35% off the new Sky Entertainment package (which is offered to me for £13 a month on a 12 month contract) and 40% off each of the new addons with 31 days rolling. With at least one addon it'll work out to an average discount of about 38% for 12 months and I believe they'll just reactivate my Sky+HD account and I can keep using the box I have now.

But I've had no contact at all from Sky with regards to their asking me back - no text, email, letter or anything. I only found the offer by accident when I logged in.

So: for existing customers on 60% discounts who have a link offering to renew for 12 months @ 50% off their current packages the prices are almost identical.

Eg: for Box sets the old price was £38x40% = £15.20 per month
    New offers seem to be Box sets @ 50% = £19 per month
    or, on new packages, Entertainment @ 65% + HD, Box sets (and kids?) @ 60% = £13 + 6 = £19 if willing to forgo kids (which I am). Only problem is that the 50% renewal offer expires 31 January while my existing offer ends 15 April, so will lose out on several months extra 10% discount if risk getting less than 50% off in mid April.

Any thoughts of chances of still getting 50% off old-style packages or 35% off entertainment/40% off add-ons if wait until April?
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So: for existing customers on 60% discounts who have a link offering to renew for 12 months @ 50% off their current packages the prices are almost identical.

Eg: for Box sets the old price was £38x40% = £15.20 per month
    New offers seem to be Box sets @ 50% = £19 per month
    or, on new packages, Entertainment @ 65% + HD, Box sets (and kids?) @ 60% = £13 + 6 = £19 if willing to forgo kids (which I am). Only problem is that the 50% renewal offer expires 31 January while my existing offer ends 15 April, so will lose out on several months extra 10% discount if risk getting less than 50% off in mid April.

Any thoughts of chances of still getting 50% off old-style packages or 35% off entertainment/40% off add-ons if wait until April?

Wait till April and switch off totally. Let them come begging to you. Life carries on without....
  • Phill84
    Options
    Agreed this deal today

2TB box
    One mini box

Entertainment
    Boxsets
    HD
    Cinema
    Multiroom

First 12 months £38.80 and then for the last 6 months will be £60. This is on an 18 month contract. All equipment is free and no charge for install. Have been trying to get the discount for 18 months all week but they haven’t been budging. He did say to ring a month before the 12 month discount ends and they would look at new discounts. I can cancel the HD, Boxsets and cinema packages at anytime as they are on rolling contracts. Maybe if I waited longer I could get for 18 months but my partner was already getting annoyed as we have been cut off for a week, so didn’t want to wait much longer. Pretty happy with deal as we did want to upgrade to Sky Q as well
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Phill84 wrote: »
    He did say to ring a month before the 12 month discount ends and they would look at new discounts.
    They won't offer further discount after twelve months because you've tied yourself into an eighteen month contract. You'll therefore have no leverage after a year, because you cannot leave.
  • Phill84
    Options
    Only tied in to entertainment package and mulitroom for 18 months. Which will be £32 after 12 months I can cancel the cinema, Boxsets and Hd packages after 12 months or even before then as they are on rolling contracts. So I have some leaverage there once the 12 months is up. I may not get it for the £38.80 I’m paying now but will be less than the £60 if I decide to keep those rolling packages
  • Vegastare
    Options
    At moment have sports cinema and box set HD package and 2 boxes(1 HD). Paying £56 (after 2 years of haggling) don't think they will roll over again, noticed on My Sky account it is already showing a £52 increase for April 2018. Would I pay £104 for Sky a month............no way.

It never ceases to amaze how Sky keep prices up there nowdays! I will play the cancel game again and see what they throw at me
    Their monopoly is not what it was.
    With all the other options around I may bite the bullit this time.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Good news for me. Just phoned sky to be advised that my 50% off TV deal will not finish until November 2018.

I thought it would finish during August 2018. I vaguely remember querying prices during November 2017. They must have extended my 50% of deal.

Very pleased.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 January 2018 at 2:12PM
    Options
    Amazingly I know a couple of people who are happy to pay whatever sky charge them for their packages and they don't even call to negotiate a discount despite knowing they can do it.

Sky deserve their custom lol
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    More good news. Sky advised me that my bband and phone contract was coming to an end this month and the best deal that they could offer me was £38 per month for unlimited fibre bband and anytime calls. So I am moving to Plusnet for £31.99 per month for the same package.

It seems that sky are playing hard ball at the moment for any good deals or price matching. Their loss not mine.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    Amazingly I know a couple of people who are happy to pay whatever sky charge them for their packages and they don't even call to negotiate a discount despite knowing they can do it.

Sky deserve their custom lol

I know someone who's paying Virgin circa £150 a month (I kid you not) despite me keep asking them why.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback