NST August - AB's Amazingly Aware August Challenge

Options
academiablues
academiablues Posts: 170 Forumite
Bake Off Boss!
edited 30 July 2015 at 7:32PM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
Hi All

So this is the 8th Ninja Saving Turtles challenge of 2015, it’ll be the end of the year before we know it!

We’re now well into the summer holidays (for those of you who have kids, or are teachers), and might be thinking about heading off to somewhere warm, or just somewhere different. August also seems to be the month when many stores try to sell you “summer” – new fitness or fad diets for your “beach body” (ick), pricey beer for a BBQ “because it’s summer” (maybe that’s just me!). We don’t need these things to be happy, to feel summery, and August can definitely be the month where we make a huge commitment to the lives we want to live.

As we move along in out turtle-y way, it's important to remember the reasons for joining in these challenges, and to be aware of every penny earned and spent. Only by being aware of what's coming in and going out can you keep chipping away at that debt total, or keep adding to savings.

So, here are the challenge rules for August

1) This challenge runs from midnight on 1st August to midnight on 31st August.

2) You will aim for 20 No Spend Days - No spend days can be defined by you. Some people choose to include days their Direct Debits go out, some don’t. Items you don’t have to lose a NSD for include prescription medication, essential travel bills (including petrol), and YS food as well (which means marked down items purchased in the yellow sticker section or whatever your supermarket equivalent is). If you do a shop made up entirely of “reduced” items, you don’t lose a NSD.

Feel free to add in any more "totals" you want to aim for as well (workouts, lunch to work, targets and stretch targets for the month - whatever helps you do your thing!)

3) You will give £5 or the equivalent in time to charity – it’s good to give something back :) many people volunteer, or give money to charities that are close to their hearts. I know this time of year is particularly hard for food banks, because the kids are off school so parents have to feed them at home, so maybe consider giving some items to one if you can.

4) You have a “self-care” budget of £20. Self-care means something different to everyone but it should delight some or all of your senses – this could be buying a new book to read/audiobook to listen to, some nice smellies to treat yourself to a lovely bubble bath, or some indulgent food. Looking forward to hearing what you all come up with.

5) I’m a big convert to mindfulness (I teach it for my day job, so figured I couldn’t really preach what I didn’t practice!) so wondered if people would like to join me in at least five minutes of mindfulness each day. It’s really good at helping to manage with stress, which all turtles feel from time to time on this debt-busting journey. "Awareness" is going to be a recurring theme on this thread, so apologies to anyone who doesn't fancy it.

6) Turtles are animals that like lots of healthy food – veggies especially! If you’re someone who cooks, share a recipe with the other turtles that is a money-saving staple for you! If you’re not someone who cooks, maybe August could be the month where you try a recipe (or a food) you’ve never tried before – let us know the results!

7) Last month we nominated turtles that turtally inspire us (I love the pun and I’m not taking it back!) so this month, let us know about someone in your “real life” that is inspiring to you – if you’re feeling really into it, write down why and tell THEM why they inspire you! :)

8) You must check in on the thread daily, or as often as is possible if you are at work etc. Turtles are sociable creatures and like to chat as they make their way slowly towards freedom.

Onwards and upwards, turtles!
Bought my first house in 2014 - now, to be mortgage free! :D

New York, New York: 3150/4000 (79%)
Emergency fund £1000/1000
Survey earnings 2016: £40

Comments

• academiablues
    academiablues Posts: 170 Forumite
    Bake Off Boss!
    edited 5 August 2015 at 6:49PM
    Options
    August NST Contenders:

1) AcademiaBlues
    2) The Only Girl
    3) Fmess
    4) Apple muncher
    5) Nannygladys
    6) Misstara
    7) Bobarella
    8) Stewby?
    9) Weshkitty85
    10) Calling14
    11) Dolly84
    12) Abundant1972
    13) Mothernerd
    14) Wishus
    15) Synonymous

• The_Only_Girl
    Options
    Me please. Any number will do. x
    "There is Life AFTER DEBT."LBM 2009 Total Debt £49046.24 Debt Free as of 27/08/2015
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me too please :)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Academia - stewby needs to be number 8 ;)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • academiablues
    Options
    Thanks...Fmess are you sure, they were 9 on the July thread? Stewby, you can have any number you want :) welcome to the new thread!

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Me! Me! Me! Any number!

Off to plan August's activities and targets.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Please, please

No holidays, no expensive dgc staying for any length and the need to save this August. Will work totals out and get back.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Me too please.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes please AcademiaBlues!

I love the sound of this challenge so much. Mindfulness is a great idea to include.

There are a few things I just jotted down on my list today so the £20 budget will come in dead handy.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • stewby
    stewby Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 July 2015 at 9:51PM
    Options
    Hi!!

Just realised this was up. Yes please and number 8 would be lovely (lucky number but didn't want to be cheeky as I missed it last month). Thanks very much Academia Blues.

Will need to try much harder as have seen the light at the end of the tunnel.... only £1650 to go and should be able to clear it by the end of the year!!

Will go back and read the rules now.
    :)
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts