Battling Debt and Mental Illness — and (hopefully) Winning!

Options

Comments

• crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Pleased you're feeling a bit better today ABA. We all get days where we don't do much. I'm having one today - plenty I need to be getting on with but no motivation to tackle it.
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    Trouble is, it's been more like off-weeks rather than days lately... I'm considering getting a lightbox, which is around £40 on Amazon. Anything that helps would be useful. Maybe I can pay for it with vouchers if I manage to earn more. I can afford to buy with cash from my rainy day fund when I get my ESA payment on Monday, but don't know whether it's wise to deplete the fund so soon. I need to save for a trip to the theatre next March, so would prefer to keep the money aside. I don't want to use my EF unless I absolutely have to, so the rainy day fund also acts as a buffer for unexpected expenses. I guess I'll think about it and see how it goes.
    Rainy day fund — 210/1000 Emergency fund — 1019/1500
    Loan — 424/19,224 = 2.2% Fun fund: 1/100 Credit card balance — 0
  • AspiringButAnxious
    AspiringButAnxious Posts: 753 Forumite
    edited 27 October 2015 at 2:36PM
    Options
    I think writing that crystallised my thinking! I looked on Amazon and actually found an SAD lamp for £30, so I decided to use my current Amazon balance and get it for just over £23. Realising I could get it for that price made me realise how important it is to try and improve my mood ASAP. It's a bit of an investment, since I am currently in no shape to make good progress career-wise and have no motivation to find paid freelance assignments. I should have learnt to prioritise my health by now...

I have £7.46 left in my rainy day fund, which is better than nothing! Hopefully I will be able to add plenty to all my savings during the remainder of this year :)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    I think that you've done the right thing - I would be willing to try it. Vitamin D is so important for mood, and your body only makes it when exposed to sunlight - it's no wonder people get down in the winter. I had thought about getting one of those boxes for dh but I don't think it'll be worth it if he's not even willing to make a phonecall about counselling.
    I take a vitamin D supplement - costs about 70p a tub from Ald! and I swear by it.
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    Yep, I need to actually take the multivitamins I have! Will see what happens with the SAD lamp — it's already dispatched, so I'm hoping it won't take very long to arrive.

The handbag I want has been reduced from £240 to £170 on Amazon... I'm tempted, but I refuse to give in! Old Me would have dived in and put it on the credit card, considering it a bargain, but New Me realises that I would be spending money I don't have and putting myself in more debt. I also want to rise to the challenge of buying it with Amazon vouchers :) It's still really tempting though...
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    Dangerous day. Been feeling weepy last night and this morning. :( Had shower, but that's all I've achieved today. Handbag is calling out to me... So difficult to resist when I'm depressed, but I know I will feel worse if I give in and buy it. It's over 1% of my debt and I would rather be debt-free sooner than the owner of a gorgeous handbag. Of course, if I can get it with vouchers at some point, I will have the best of both worlds. :)

So frustrated for feeling this way. The only silver lining is that I'm 109SB away from my next voucher, so could order that by the end of today if all goes well.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Big hugs to you ABA - hope you're feeling better now :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
  • AspiringButAnxious
    Options
    Thanks Tara :) I feel a little better courtesy of ordering another £5 Amazon voucher from SB and overspending on shopping... Spent £7, which is £5 more than planned, but got some yummy treats. Also convinced my mum to buy my brother and me a toffee apple each!

I'm focusing on just getting through the day atm. Hopefully this will change when I get the SAD lamp and feel more able to help myself in other ways.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better soon ABA
  • bellevie
    bellevie Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry to read you haven't felt too good this week.

I agree that the SAD light is a good idea.

Well done on resisting the urge to buy the bag:T It will be such an amazing feeling when you do reach your target in vouchers!
    MFW
    Starting debt :£287,410 -11/2020

2022 Closing balance £271,402.45 

2023 closing balance £263140

Original end 11/2045 
    New end date :....... 

Overpayments to date £514.4 (1/24)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing