Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2016 at 1:01PM
    Options
    Just be aware that Revolut have now sneaked in some charges under the guise of a fair usage policy, haven't bothered to inform existing customers and have obviously reneged on their previous "no fees for the first 12 months" guarantee ... I've done a copy/paste of their fair usage policy below, and have noticed that a couple of bits, which I've put in italic, have been added in the last few days it seems to clarify things.

Fair Usage Policy:

ATM usage is FREE for up to £500 / €650 / $700 (or equivalent) a month, after which there will be a 2% fee applied to further ATM withdrawals until the end of the month. For example, if you withdrew £550 in one month, this would only cost you £1. We have to pass on these costs as Revolut doesn't own the ATMs...yet!

If you are approaching your ATM withdrawal limit, don't worry, you can still spend as much as you want on your Revolut card instead, as this policy ONLY applies to ATM withdrawals

USD Debit Card Top-Ups

Supporting debit card top-ups in USD is expensive for us. We are working to bring these costs down. Until then, we have to pass on our costs, which are 3% per USD top-up. In this case it might be cheaper for you to top up via bank transfer.

Don't forget though...spending, sending and exchanging in USD is completely FREE

Illiquid Currencies

For most currencies we provide you with the interbank rate...Awesome! However there are some illiquid currencies such as Thai Baht and Russian Ruble which are difficult for us to trade. For these currencies we will give you the best rate we can. You can check all these rates within the app.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • Pieeater
    Options
    I only needed it for this holiday, so I can only tell you of my experience with the card, I had heard rumours that they were going to introduce something, however spend wisely and it is still free.
  • mikter
    Options
    I've been using the WeSwap prepaid card for 8 months to allow me to access Euros in Spain. I've used it 8 times and here is my experience.

Four times, when I've been trying to deposit Sterling into my account with them the transaction has been blocked by my bank (Royal Bank) as they have had "experience of fraud transactions" relating to WeSwap. After a costly call to the bank each time it was OK'd by the bank.

Once the WeSwap transaction to Euros did not happen on the date expected, but was sorted after another expensive phone call to WeSwap from Spain.

So overall, plenty hastle. I'm now looking elsewhere as there is just to much using their service.
  • Pieeater
    Options
    Revolut all the way, every time, every answer in this thread.
  • dave_lx
    Options
    Hi,
    Bit of a funny request but im looking for information on topping up (locally in cash) a prepaid travel card whilst abroad. Im going to be working in the USA for 2 months, and will get paid a cash subsistence allowance per week, however i also want to spend my own money whilst there.
    I wondered if there are any companies providing pre-paid cards that i can top up with my cash subsistence allowance? Maybe a card through Travelex who have local branches.....

Any help warmly welcomed!
  • Middledyke
    Options
    I am seriously questioning the sense of using the new 'Revolut' travel money card due to their total lack of help! :(

I've got the Revolut app on my phone but since I did the initial top-up from my bank, I CANNOT top up anymore ... I've been trying for over a week to sort it out, using the 'app chat' and emailing, and even tried calling but to no avail. All I get is the same old !!!! about having to verify my card using a 4 digit code ... no matter how many times I tell them I cannot they keep telling me to use it and/or referring me to 'tutorial' section on the website on how to top-up ... or coming back and asking me what my query was again ... the requests for help on the 'app chat' can take 24 hours before a response is sent back! :eek:

The phone number is supposed to be for help but if you ring it you get a message to say it's for emergencies only and to go and use the 'app chat' or email them instead ... but if you hang on the phone you then get told they are very busy and it will take X minutes to be dealt with (or words to that effect) then if you DO hold on you eventually get told they are too busy and tell you to ring back later!

I've now emailed them again and asked for someone to RING ME ... that I need to speak to a HUMAN BEING to sort it out and for them NOT to send me a message via email or chat ... so what happens next? Yup, you've guessed right ... I get a message on the 'app chat' referring me to the tutorial section again!!!!
    :mad:

It is stupid, totally stupid ... what would happen if I had a MAJOR problem I hate to think!

Not a happy bunny at all! :(
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Middledyke wrote: »
    having to verify my card using a 4 digit code ... no matter how many times I tell them I cannot they keep telling me to use it
    What is the actual problem, why you cannot do the verification?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Ark_Angel
    Options
    I'm heading to the US on holidays in just over 2 weeks, I was wondering if anyone could let me know the best prepaid card to get. I really only need it to pay hotels etc as they are already booked and I can pay by card when I get there and possibly some back up money as I'll be taking cash also but in case I lose that or it gets stolen. Also which one is best all round i.e. exchange rates, fees etc. Thanks.
  • Robin_Davies
    Options
    I have this prepay card by FX broker VFX who trade as EasyFx. It works really well, charges are almost non-existent, and the exchange rate is better than you can get for travel cash. Please take a look.
  • stupidgirl09
    Options
    Good morning I am looking to get one these cards as i am due to go to New York in May and want to lock in the rate due to rates going down. Does anyone know if i will get charged by my bank to pay the money onto my card by direct debit? Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback