Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Triffle wrote: »
    I am about to head off to Volunteer abroad for a while. Need to be able to get cash out mainly.

Prepaid or credit?
    And which one?
    Don't rely on a single card, get at least one of each. See the MSE advice on travel cards. Try to have both Visa and MasterCard.

Revolut now charge 2% for ATM withdrawals in excess of £500 equ. per month.

Where are you volunteering? A few discretely concealed banknotes may come in useful.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Jeej
    Jeej Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have had similar problems today. My card has been rejected at 4 different places, one of them a bank!
    Email, chat and telephone contact have all failed, so I am stuck in Australia with my funds apparently frozen, and bills to pay.

Not a great advert for Revolut, sadly. When it was working, things seemed so easy and convenient.
  • eDicky
    Options
    Jeej wrote: »
    I have had similar problems today. My card has been rejected at 4 different places, one of them a bank!
    Email, chat and telephone contact have all failed, so I am stuck in Australia with my funds apparently frozen, and bills to pay.

Not a great advert for Revolut, sadly. When it was working, things seemed so easy and convenient.
    Assuming that the chat would have responded by now, although during your night - did you find out the cause and/or resolve the problem?
  • revolutapp
    Options
    Hi eDicky, we are sorry if you were having issues with your Revolut card this weekend. There was a technical issue and we implemented a fix yesterday morning. We were working extremely hard to respond to our customers queries as quickly as possible. If you're still having any issues please message us on the in-app support.
  • barafear799
    Options
    Hi, I've had a Kalixa card for a few years now and been very happy with the rates/charges. However, as a poster mentioned at the beginning of this thread, very little mention of them. Maybe now I know why, email just received stating the forthcoming closure of my account, as they appear to be moving out of the market? Was this coming?
  • ath021075
    Options
    Snapelover wrote: »
    Going to Rhodes for a week, mid May, taking cash for initial beers etc. :beer: but looking for a pre load card that doesn't require an app as both me and my hubby have Windows phones.

Should we take a debit or credit card also as back up as there are some horror stories of cards not working?
    Hi, I've had a Kalixa card for a few years now and been very happy with the rates/charges. However, as a poster mentioned at the beginning of this thread, very little mention of them. Maybe now I know why, email just received stating the forthcoming closure of my account, as they appear to be moving out of the market? Was this coming?

My husband and I are in a similar situation. We used to use Kalixa, which was great, no problems whatsoever to load at their website, we used it fine in many different countries around the world, and the exchange rates were quite good, but today I got the closing account email. From what I read the Revolut seems to be good (almost no fees, good exchange rates, works around the world), but as we have Windows phones, we cannot use it. If someone has any suggestions...
  • Charitybarnes
    Options
    Hello,

I am shortly going to be visiting Vietnam, Malaysia, austrailia, Bali and Dubai. I currently have a Halifax clarity card for card spending but want to know the best option for withdrawing cash across multiple countries outside of the EU. Online I have found the revolut multi currency card which seems pretty good for both cash and card spending but I have not seen many reviews for it. Does anyone have any opinions over this card?

Many thanks,

Charity
  • MikeBR
    Options
    I had a minor problem at the very begining with it rejecting the pin when I tried to us it for purchases. Support told me to put it in an ATM and withdraw a small amount then try again. That worked and it has worked every time since on purchase & ATM's apart from trying to get petrol from an automated garage where it is always rejected [OK if you pay at the kiosk] Rate is way above what anyone is offering, BUT if you withdraw more that £st500 in a month from an ATM they now charge 2%, but because the rate is so good it has still worked out cheap. The £500 is not applied to purchases because they get a % from the supplier. If you are going to spend more that £st750 per year you have to go through a ID verification [Money Laundering laws in UK] using your passport and taking your own photo on your Smart phone, not easy on your own unless you have a tripod, better to get some one to take your picture as trying to get your eyes in the right place is very difficult. Overall as easy as using any Mastercard except I don't get my Tesco points:rotfl:
  • eDicky
    Options
    ath021075 wrote: »
    From what I read the Revolut seems to be good (almost no fees, good exchange rates, works around the world), but as we have Windows phones, we cannot use it. If someone has any suggestions...
    Buy a cheap or secondhand Android phone to use with Revolut..?
  • eDicky
    Options
    revolutapp wrote: »
    Hi eDicky, we are sorry if you were having issues with your Revolut card this weekend. There was a technical issue and we implemented a fix yesterday morning.
    It wasn't me having a problem, but thanks for updating us on what the issue was, the people who complain rarely do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure