🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What small change do you want from the new government?

Options

Comments

• reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Scrap discounts on second homes, why would you get a discount for owning two when so many can barely get one!
    Plus it may help stop tourist towns where the town is empty half of the year and locals cannot afford to buy.

Council tax should be a percentage of the price of the house at time of sale. If bands remain then at least standardise council tax across the country so the same band pays the same price wherever they are.
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Standardise Student loans & make them actually enough to live on for all. This is for the people receiving the education to fund & should not be dependent on the vagaries of parents income. Parents will not be the ones paying back the loans, so why is their income considered.

If students from poor families need extra help, there are enough university bursaries around to fund the need.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,568 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    'Small change' i.e. petits sous is too small.

RESIGN! would work.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• simplesph
    Options
    It is almost impossible to purchase a ticket for a big concert or event before they sell-out, and yet they are available via resellers websites as soon (if not before) they become available. It now seems that it is common practice to purchase 4 tickets when you require 2, then re-sell the spare tickets at a minimum of double their face value (in effect making the required 2 free). If it were made illegal to re-sell an event ticket above its face value, this practice would cease, ticket touts would be out of business, and real fans might stand a change of attending these events/concerts.
  • j0hn80y
    j0hn80y Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have been refused credit you are told to consult your credit file, but like me often see nothing wrong. Have creditors tell you why you have been rejected so you could try rectify the problem before rushing off to 4000%APR lenders.
    You get rejected for many reasons that would not show on your credit file, like 2 credit cards offered by the same bank, like sigma and creation. Maybe that's all THAT creditor wants to lend you but others would be prepared to help.
    I feel this is an add on to your number 8 that I read on the yahoo news page
  • I.L._Fixit
    Options
    - Extend the Retail Ombudsman scheme specifically to cover house repairs, builders and tradesmen.
  • Former_MSE_Paloma
    Options
    What would you tweak about the UK? I'm not talking about big contentious change – but quick fixes for life glitches ...
    Read the full story:

The 10 changes I'd make to Britain

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Firms shouldn't be able to advertise 'half price broadband for 6 months', or similar deals in any industry, if the discount isn't applicable for the whole minimum contract period. It's not half price at all if they are forced to pay full price at some point, it's just a new, lower, full price over the whole contract period.
  • JenniferK
    JenniferK Posts: 264 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Change benefits from money to vouchers that can only be used by the recipient.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    Fund the BBC from general taxation - removes the need for all the collection apparatus, the massive TVLicencing database and would save all the collection costs along with saving court time currently spent dealing with prosecutions.

Better still scrap this tax all together and make the BBC fund itself like all other TV companies do
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business