Travel credit cards

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
384 replies 134.5K views

Replies

• WeebetsWeebets Forumite
    3 Posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    We have just returned from Kos in Greece where we used our Barclaycard Platinum Card to withdraw cash and found that all banks in Greece now charge customers (tourists) who do not have a bank account in Greece, a transaction fee.
    This varies from bank to bank with various charges from 2.5 euros to 3% per transaction.
    Piraeus Bank charged 3 Euros and Alpha Bank charged 2.5 euros which we found was the cheapest.
  • Hello,

Seeing Martin's top choices for a credit card to use abroad, I applied for a Barclaycard Cashback Plus card on the 24th June. I received it today and called up to confirm the t&cs as couldn't see anything to confirm there were no fees abroad. I was told that offer was withdrawn on the 26th June and my application was processed on the 27th June. I explained that as I made the application on the 24th then those should be the t&cs I was offered. Lady was very friendly but couldn't do anything about it so it has been referred to the complaints department.

I have cancelled the card as I only wanted it to use while on holiday and was not impressed by the way Barclaycard have handled the process. Will await the outcome of the complaint but wanted to warn anyone else who may think they are getting one offer but actually receive another!

Think I will try Tandem or Starling instead.
  • engineer_amyengineer_amy Forumite
    803 Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi All

2 trips to New York and Vegas planned for February and april 2020 and just wondering on peoples opinions for spending options. Last time I was in New York for a very short visit and only used cash, this time will be longer, and vegas will also probably be a bit more spendy.

So I see that the Halifax clarity card seems best for my needs and I also have 95% chance of getting it on the eligibility checker. is it worth applying now, or waiting until the end of the year? I see there is a £20 cashback now if you spend within 90 days of opening the account, but I don't tend to use credit cards much at home. Do cashback offers occur regularly? IE If I wait until closer to travelling, is it likely there will be a similar offer then?
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • I recently started using revolut and its seems really cool, they also offer a little bit better currency exchange rate and if you're dealing with little bit bigger amounts you can feel it
  • Hi, yes, I read about that. here's a link to an article that summarises what the charges will be -
    apparently from July 1st apart from Pireaus Bank which will start charging on July 22nd.

As I haven't posted much before, I'm not allowed to include the link. So Google KeepTalkingGreece (an English Language site for Greek news) - and search on the site for "ATM withdrawals with extra charge go into effect on July 1st 2019".

Kales Diakopes/Have a good holiday!
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weebets wrote: »
    We have just returned from Kos in Greece where we used our Barclaycard Platinum Card to withdraw cash and found that all banks in Greece now charge customers (tourists) who do not have a bank account in Greece, a transaction fee.
    This varies from bank to bank with various charges from 2.5 euros to 3% per transaction.
    Piraeus Bank charged 3 Euros and Alpha Bank charged 2.5 euros which we found was the cheapest.

Did the same apply when you tried to withdraw money over the counter?
  • EveryWhereEveryWhere
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amethysto wrote: »
    Hi, yes, I read about that. here's a link to an article that summarises what the charges will be -
    apparently from July 1st apart from Pireaus Bank which will start charging on July 22nd.

As I haven't posted much before, I'm not allowed to include the link. So Google KeepTalkingGreece (an English Language site for Greek news) - and search on the site for "ATM withdrawals with extra charge go into effect on July 1st 2019".

Kales Diakopes/Have a good holiday!

Article covering all ATM charges;

Translated article here

Original article here; https://www.dikaiologitika.gr/eidhseis/oikonomia/261089/xreoseis-fotia-sta-atm-poso-tha-kostizoun-apo-ayrio-deftera-1-7-oi-analipseis
  • hisloplhislopl Forumite
    4 Posts
    I have been looking for a card for forthcoming trip to Australia and this looks by far the best - no exchange or transaction fees, but it doesn't even get a mention in MSE. How can that be - am I missing something ??
  • EveryWhereEveryWhere
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hislopl wrote: »
    I have been looking for a card for forthcoming trip to Australia and this looks by far the best - no exchange or transaction fees, but it doesn't even get a mention in MSE. How can that be - am I missing something ??

Yes, a link.

https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ is the best debit card, regardless of what you think that you have found.
    Credit, of which you should have at least one; Halifax Clarity, Tandem CC, Santander Zero...
  • hisloplhislopl Forumite
    4 Posts
    By the by, this query is about the Barclaycard Platinum Cashback Plus credit card - even though I replied to a thread about this, it seems to have lost the link !!