SSE broadband feedback

Comments

• i have been on the sse website & it says i dont have a landline but i called the number & they say its fine. no connection charge. it will mean i may have to go a month without broadband but i will get a mobile dongle for my laptop for that month. im on a basic sky package & itll save me £200 so im going to give it a go.
  • panda64
    panda64 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    malakoffee wrote: »
    Oh dear, they are going to make me work for a definite answer . . . . .

My Enquiry Message ( to SSE ) about Carrer pre-Select with SSE:

I too would like to move to SSE broadband and phone, but the crucial factor is being able to continue using 18185. A pleasant lady answered my other questions but had not heard of an override service provider. On consulting with a colleague she brought back the answer that "they didn't offer the service" - but I suspect neither of them knew the correct answer. I hope someone who is already with SSE will post a definitive answer.

I cannot ask 18185 as I know no way of emailing or phoning them!
  • Has any had any experience of issues / problems switching from Virgin cable / phone?
    My phone is not a BT line - will this prevent me being able to access the cashback offer on Topcashback?
    Any advise or guidance appreciated as the SSE Fibre + Phone package price is much lower.
  • Am having the problem regarding the number not being recognised as a BT line, it's a Fuel Broadband (formally Primus) line that I only use for broadband, I don't even own a landline telephone to plug in. Spoke to SSE using the 0800 number (use 0800 Wizard app on Android to avoid mobile charges). They said this isn't a problem but has to be done over the phone. They implied this is the case for Talktalk and SKY too, ie any LLU provider or other provider that resells an LLU's network (Fuel use Talktalk's).

As such it appears the TopCashback/Quidco deals are a non-starter unless you're currently with BT or a provider who is reselling a BT Wholesale product.
  • Mirandoch
    Mirandoch Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't trust broadband guides and won't touch them with a barge pole anymore.

SSE might be really good, but if they are, that's not because of being a 'top pick', that's just coincidence.
  • dtb2579
    dtb2579 Posts: 16 Forumite
    If SSE does not support 18185 direct there is always the 18185 freephone number that allows it to be used with ANY landline provider, even virginmedia although it is 1p a minute instead of free but still great value.
  • Innys1
    Innys1 Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    So, the line rental is only for 12 months and the BB for 24 months, though you can leave after 18...........what happens when the line rental offer expires?

SSE could whack up the line rental rate but I guess you could just hand in the notice for it and continue to get BB from them for 6 months until the 18mth period with someone else providing the line rental. Is that correct?
  • gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Innys1 wrote: »
    So, the line rental is only for 12 months and the BB for 24 months, though you can leave after 18...........what happens when the line rental offer expires?

SSE could whack up the line rental rate but I guess you could just hand in the notice for it and continue to get BB from them for 6 months until the 18mth period with someone else providing the line rental. Is that correct?

it is, BUT the free broadband has a requirement of taking the line rental, so if you no longer have the line rental, you will not get the free broadband - i believe the line rental discount is £10, if i remember correctly when i signed up, with the £8 a month discount being the 'extra' promotion to give the free broadband for the term.

- sneaky yes, but still likely to work out cheaper than any other provider at the moment, and would be suicide for them if they up the cost too much, as it would just mean a exodus of customers once the 18 months is up on the broadband minimum term
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • malakoffee
    malakoffee Posts: 17 Forumite
    Second try . . . .
    Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reply.
    I am thinking of becoming a phone and broadband customer, but ONLY if I can get a clear statement of policy regarding the use of Carrier Preselect Services ( which gives access to much cheaper call charges by dialling an access number e.g. 18185 to route the calls via the CPS provider).

Only BT are absolutely obliged to permit such services - by the regulatory authorities. As far as I know other phone service providers are NOT obliged to.

Please refer to this to your technical department and to your sales/marketing departments to ensure that your company knows what I am asking AND to ensure that the company can make a clear statement.

I am aware that many other people who are interested in the outcome of this.

Best Wishes
  • Innys1
    Innys1 Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    gonzo127 wrote: »
    it is, BUT the free broadband has a requirement of taking the line rental, so if you no longer have the line rental, you will not get the free broadband - i believe the line rental discount is £10, if i remember correctly when i signed up, with the £8 a month discount being the 'extra' promotion to give the free broadband for the term.

- sneaky yes, but still likely to work out cheaper than any other provider at the moment, and would be suicide for them if they up the cost too much, as it would just mean a exodus of customers once the 18 months is up on the broadband minimum term

So what you're saying is you HAVE to take up their monthly line rental, at whatever cost they chose to charge, after 12 months? If you don't, you're in breach of their free broadband contract and they can sue you for the remainder of that contract - £4 a month, or £24.

I think this point should be made clear in Martin's recommendation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure