Forum Home» Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning

Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion - Page 8

New Post Advanced Search

Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion

365 replies 175.2K views

Replies

• jouefjouef Forumite
    97 posts
    Covering a family member for travel with several non-serious pre-existing conditions appeared to be fairly easy and inexpensive, using online comparison sites. However the cheapest six results in each case excluded 'Swimming in open water' in standard cover - how many people taking a beach holiday with the odd dip in the sea would realise this is not covered? I read through 30-odd pages of small print several times to find one that routinely covered that. I could also save money by annual rather than single-trip policies, but decided not to after spending 30 minutes on hold to speak to the screening dept - I don't fancy doing that to update them every time she has been to the GP between trips. It took minutes to compare price alone between providers, but genuine comparison of exclusions and provisions is much more work.
  • owletowlet Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I got a good quote from Staysure the other day & I have 5 pre existing conditions (one could potentially beserious, clots etc but not had them yet). I opted for single trip and they cover up to 90 days per trip (I think it was). I'm 51.
    SPC 8 (2015) #485 TOTAL: £334.65
    SPC 9 (2016) #485 TOTAL £84
    SPC 10 (2017) # 485 TOTAL: £464.80
    SPC 11 (2018) #485
  • Help. Have just booked a cruise to the USA and then onto Nova Scotia. In all 22 days. Both my husband (73) and myself (64) have pre existing medical conditions (none serious), are both healthy and take medication and good exercise to remain so. As we are already LV customers and also have at present an annual European insurance policy with them - cost £287 though I would try them for a Worldwide policy just for the one trip to USA and Canada. Imagine my shock when they quoted £1,140 for the single trip or £1,348 for an annual policy. Obviously looking for a decent policy but need help. Would be grateful for any advice given.
    Thanks
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Insurance cover for cruises is more expensive as it may involve helicopter evacuation
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    sheramber wrote: »
    Insurance cover for cruises is more expensive as it may involve helicopter evacuation

Not normally THAT expensive, though, and cruise cover isn't necessarily required (unless cruises are specifically excluded from the policy).

The only answer, I'm afraid, is to shop around until you find a reasonably priced policy. Maybe try a broker - they tend to know where the best deals are to be had for particular medical conditions.
  • well I paid extra my husband diabetic condition which always do, but last time I went away with him to mexico he was doing well, than had an accident with a screen door in the hotel and hurt his foot, 4 days later he died in front of me in the sea, the holiday insurance company insure and go after nearly 2 years of fighting still haven't paid out on his death, the Mexican people said was heart attack and diabetic attack, which he was covered for, it was in the end a blood clot in his leg that went straight to his lungs and killed him straight away, but on either they still fighting me not to pay me anything, I fell I been to hell and back not only seeing what I saw, but insurance company not wanting to pay out, I didn't ask to come home alone , I insured us both obviously not enough .
  • Thanks PammieSavage and so so sorry to hear of your loss. It really is true that none of us know how good an insurance company are until a claim is made. I do hope a good resolution comes soon. Take care.
  • I had a general blood test a few months before my trip. it was ok apart from cholesterol which I was advised on and declared on my insurance I do not take medication for it. Is having a blood test classed a pre -existing condition even though no problems came up. I had an accident on holiday and had to claim. I am waiting to see of the insurance will pay out.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    alliegrant wrote: »
    I had a general blood test a few months before my trip. it was ok apart from cholesterol which I was advised on and declared on my insurance I do not take medication for it. Is having a blood test classed a pre -existing condition even though no problems came up. I had an accident on holiday and had to claim. I am waiting to see of the insurance will pay out.

You should be fine. Provided the blood test wasn't done because of a pre-existing condition (which seems not to be the case) and the only 'condition' it disclosed was the high (?) cholesterol level, which you disclosed anyway, there's nothing they can use to refuse the claim.

The blood test is not a pre-existing condition, the cholesterol level wasn't presumably high enough to worry about (no medication) and you declared it anyway - so any problems with the insurer should be firmly resisted.
  • I've read all you guide. Our main concern, after our own pre-existing conditions is an elderly relative. I can't find information about cancellation due to her sudden illness