Pre-existing Travel Insurance Guide Discussion

Comments

• OK - problem is talking to 2 different parts of Nationwide Insurance.

I was talking to Sales, but I needed to talk to Claims too.

Basically due to my new condition I am entitled to a refund of money paid for booked holidays, they just will not offer cover if I want to travel.

My best solution is to wait until I am liable to have to make further payments on my holiday, and if I can't get adequately priced cover, cancel and claim.
  • I had an operation back on 5th August, in hospital overnight, no problems or issues 5 months later and don't expect there to be. This was pre planned elective surgery, I was not ill! Do I have to declare this and if so, which insurers are best to get a quote from for a one off 3 week trip to Australia. Thank you.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Clgreen wrote: »
    I had an operation back on 5th August, in hospital overnight, no problems or issues 5 months later and don't expect there to be. This was pre planned elective surgery, I was not ill! Do I have to declare this and if so, which insurers are best to get a quote from for a one off 3 week trip to Australia. Thank you.

Probably not - but it depends on the insurer and the questions asked. You need declare it only if there's a specific question which can only be answered honestly by disclosing it.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The policies which I have browsed recently all state that you must declare any hospital treatment/referral in the past 2 years (except accident and emergency). Not sure why they leave A & E out. I fractured my wrist last July but it is healed now and not causing me any problems so I am reluctant to declare it now.
  • Hi there, I would be really grateful if anyone could confirm the pregancy advice given in the guide. Is it really correct that you are not expected to disclose a known pregnancy, and that you will be covered nonetheless up to 37 weeks?? Could anyone quote chapter and verse or experience on this? Cheers!
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    From Columbus Direct:
    Pregnancy is not a medical condition. You may
    decide to travel until you are quite late into your
    pregnancy. Airlines and ferry/shipping companies
    including cruise liners have their own restrictions
    due to health and safety requirements. You should
    check with them or any other mode of transport
    you propose to take before you book. Please make
    sure that your medical practitioner and midwife
    are aware of your travel plans, that there are no
    known complications and that you are not
    travelling against any medical advice. We have the
    right to request a medical certificate to confirm
    this. We will only pay claims due to a complication
    of pregnancy, or where you were unaware of the
    pregnancy at the time of purchasing the insurance
    and you are advised not to travel by a medical
    practitioner.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Hi, I have found Avanti to be the cheapest with good cover for the last 2 years. I bought annual insurance both times - I visit the USA a lot, so I worry about needing medical treatment for my heart condition. However, you never know how good a company is until you need to make a claim, and so far I havent needed to!!
    Avanti was £500 pa cheaper than the nearest rival, but still cost a helluva lot!!
    Better than the alternative tho!
    :j
  • Has anyone used Swiss assist repatriation service as alternative to expensive travel insurance for multiple pre existing medical conditions
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    American Express are currently offering 23% cashback via Quidco. This covered the extra tenner I had to pay to cover my BC from 3 years ago: on tablets (AIs) now, for a 12 day cruise. £53 single trip for OH & I.
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• Heart attack followed by angio and stents.

No incidents ever since, and no claims, despite being around the world twice!
    Are there any insurance companies who recognise that some people are fixed? or have no claims discount? My consultant, who I last saw in 2011 !! said there was almost no chance of a recurrence. I run marathons, and hike up to 20 miles.

Also I take blood pressure medication when my BP has NEVER been high. The doctors just seem to prescribe "standard" drugs for those with heart issues.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback