The "Mortgage-free in 2025-30" club!

Options

Comments

• ourcornercottage
    ourcornercottage Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yes and I had laser eye surgery at quite considerable cost! Forgot that!
  • choccielover
    choccielover Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh goodness yes the house. We often get asked why we need such a huge space for the 3 of us but it makes us happy so.....

Guess as they go we are a bunch of "in need of improvement" MSE'ers aren't we ;)

Chocs
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    Oh goodness yes the house. We often get asked why we need such a huge space for the 3 of us but it makes us happy so.....

Guess as they go we are a bunch of "in need of improvement" MSE'ers aren't we ;)

Chocs

Yep 4 bedrooms for 3 of us!!!

Btw does anyone have a Barclays reward account in their current account portfolio. Was thinking of adding that one next when I've finally completed setting up the Halifax account. Just wanted to check do you get the reward in cash or in stuff! I don't quite get it!
  • choccielover
    Options
    5 for 3 of us, plus far too many bathrooms..... :rotfl:

Not got that Barclays one, I have the Santander ones though which I'm loving.

The Barclays one seems a mix, £7 loyalty cash, £5 if you have a mortgage with them, £3 insurance with them then various cash back offers for spending at high street stores.

Chocs
  • ourcornercottage
    Options
    5 for 3 of us, plus far too many bathrooms..... :rotfl:

Not got that Barclays one, I have the Santander ones though which I'm loving.

The Barclays one seems a mix, £7 loyalty cash, £5 if you have a mortgage with them, £3 insurance with them then various cash back offers for spending at high street stores.

Chocs

Haha 5 beds that's worse than me! So I don't use Barclays account except to for fill account rules it will be £7 loyalty, less £3 account fee so £4 per month is that right?
  • choccielover
    Options
    I think so and you need £800 to fund it each month but I think that can bounce in and out like the others :)

Chocs
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    Alright, team - confession corner:

What's your least MSE/MFW thing?

I'll kick off. We have a cleaner. :eek:

The extra time we could knock off the mortgage by ditching him just isn't worth it. :rotfl:

Hmmm...we're pretty good actually! I'd have to say my OH is the least MSE thing. He asks for an advance on his spending money pretty much every month!

I also have to admit to spending quite a lot on the garden, but it brings me joy!

We pondered buying a more expensive, bigger house when we moved but this one just felt right. Our first home was tiny weeny. I equate a large house with more cleaning and more DIY. :rotfl:
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • liuhutOz
    liuhutOz Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Least MSE thing is that I have a swimming pool, I do live in Oz though so I need it in summer for the heat! and I keep an eye on running costs :-)
    Formally liuhut
    WIN £2008 in 2008 £1836.31 2009 wins - £91!!! 2010 6170.... wins 2011 aprox 2000
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    choccie - you sound like us (minus the private school bills as no kids here). If you think about it, having a cleaner is doing your bit for the local economy by employing someone. ;)

ourcornercottage - that's a VERY good point about house size actually - do I win with five beds / four receptions for, well, two of us? :o And the house's sixth sofa is being delivered on Monday. But on the other hand, houses are an investment, and our new house has more upside potential in value in the future than our last one. I'm aware that the sofas aren't an investment. ;)

amycool - I think you might win on the MSEometer. :money:

liuhutOz - pool party at yours when we're all mortgage-free? :D

Whole thing comes back to the point about balancing living for today with saving for tomorrow (which is what we're doing, whether we're saving or OPing the mortgage).
  • turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Reading this is quite an eye opener for me. I clearly have a different lifestyle to many on here.

My most non-mse thing is the OH, who has £350 a month play money and moans he cannot afford new clothes/going out/insert item of your choice here.

I don't have a cleaner I could cancel, a coffee habit I could cut back on, or an overly large house. And I've never had any of the above!

In my adult life (12 years) I've been on holidays abroad twice (plus visits to stay with the parents in France), and a holiday in the UK twice (both Sun deal type things).

Is there anyone else on here in a similar situation?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback