The "Mortgage-free in 2025-30" club!

Options

Comments

• NorthernMonkey1
    Options
    Well, today I confirmed my subscription to the company share save scheme.

5 years at £300 a month :eek::eek::eek:

It comes out of my paycheck after tax, so it will put a significant dent into what I can overpay. On the plus side, in 5 years time, hopefully I can pay a £20k plus chunk off the mortgage.

I've already got a £200 a month share save which I subscribed to 10 months ago, which matures in September '17. If the shareprice stays as it is, that one could be worth £12k

These 2 together will probably be most of my overpayments.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good work, NorthernMonkey1! I was reading that thinking it was a bit rubbish that they didn't make it a pre-tax benefit, but then I read about the upside with the share price on your current load, and figured it was a pretty good benefit already. :D

Our regular savers that I thought matured at the start of May FINALLY mature tomorrow!! At least £6k to be OPed and then I finally get to enter it on my spreadsheet and see how many months that knocks off.
  • NorthernMonkey1
    Options
    The price is based on the current share price minus 20%, so if the share price remains constant, then I'll come out with £22500 from £18000 investment.

And because it comes out my paycheck, I don't see it, any money I don't see isn't real money at all, because it was never there.

Thats my flawed logic, and I'm sticking to it
  • choccielover
    choccielover Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like fantastic logic to me.similar to eating his chips being calorie free as they aren't on my plate !!:)
  • NorthernMonkey1
    Options
    That's silly. Everyone knows that other people's chips have calories in them.

Except on Fridays. Calorie free Friday means you can have as many chips as you like on a Friday safe in the knowledge that they are calorie free because it's the last day of work.
  • choccielover
    Options
    dammit, so that's where I have been going wrong all these years!!
  • choccielover
    Options
    Awwww I think it's starting to hit home with Hubster, he sold the iPhone and suggested we put the money against the mortgage (that's what was happening anyway but nevertheless.....) such a proud moment in the Choc household. ;)

We may stay sub £180k by the skin of our teeth :)

Chocs
  • pinkteapot
    edited 29 May 2015 at 10:09AM
    Options
    Had it in my head that the interest on our maturing savers would be a few hundred quid, but it was only £154. Ah well. And in the end I had to keep £400 back as we've just had unexpected vet bills, so had to keep back the interest plus a little bit of what we'd put away.

But still...

Just OPed £7,254, which knocked 14 months and £5,346 in interest off the mortgage!!! And it took the balance below the £220k mark - I love passing £10k boundaries.

Happy Friday!! :j:j:j
  • turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    well done teapot!

Today is payday so I'm off to do my money shuffle.... :)
  • pinkteapot
    Options
    Woohoo, turtle! I love the end of the month - paydays and OPs. :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business