Hope is not an Effective Financial Strategy

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
        Karmacat said:
    That interests me too about the chromebook ... I was investigating them on the off chance, and a woman at PC World who seemed very knowledgeable told me that they can last 20 years because the operating system is updated forever ....
    Sorry, don't know how to operate them very much, but imho - they are talking nonsense.  Please look into it more, however when they are "in date" and working fine they are excellent, just be aware they have a life span.
    Sorry need to dash - meeting girls at work for lunch - will be back later, to see how you both get on with the info.
    AFK, I was perfectly happy to take your word for it, as you're a known and trusted mse member, but I thought you too might like some written proof.  And here it is: https://www.computerworld.com/article/2897690/chrome-os-upgrades.html   6.5 years from the launch of the chipset!  This woman said up to 20 years :( I thought I might be onto a winner environmentally :(  and she really didn't look like she was lying.  In which case, she's mistaken :( hi ho.
    Hope you had a nice lunch!

2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • shangaijimmy
    Options
    Karmacat said:
        Karmacat said:
    That interests me too about the chromebook ... I was investigating them on the off chance, and a woman at PC World who seemed very knowledgeable told me that they can last 20 years because the operating system is updated forever ....
    Sorry, don't know how to operate them very much, but imho - they are talking nonsense.  Please look into it more, however when they are "in date" and working fine they are excellent, just be aware they have a life span.
    Sorry need to dash - meeting girls at work for lunch - will be back later, to see how you both get on with the info.
    AFK, I was perfectly happy to take your word for it, as you're a known and trusted mse member, but I thought you too might like some written proof.  And here it is: https://www.computerworld.com/article/2897690/chrome-os-upgrades.html   6.5 years from the launch of the chipset!  This woman said up to 20 years :( I thought I might be onto a winner environmentally :(  and she really didn't look like she was lying.  In which case, she's mistaken :( hi ho.

Hmmm, food for thought for future. I love my little chromebook, and had assumed I may get 10yrs out of it. Ah well better to know now than get hit with the nasty surprise.
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds like you had a very busy day!!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    I normally take the day off as I don't want to work an extra day for free! No need this year with it being a weekend though 😀
    We should get a BH for it!
    Great idea, since I'm working on that day  :)
        Karmacat said:

Yes, thanks KK for your kind words and for the proof - that's exactly what I was trying to link.  I especially looked into the EOL dates (now I know about them) when buying my new one, I know not environmentally friendly  :( I just couldn't be without my chromebook, and when I was first buying one they hadn't been about the market very long, but suited my needs perfectly and more.
    and Lunch was lovely, thanks, went on to meet my mum and aunt who is visiting from up north, so then went for a drink and a good old natter (actually not back home, that long).
    Hmmm, food for thought for future. I love my little chromebook, and had assumed I may get 10yrs out of it. Ah well better to know now than get hit with the nasty surprise.
    Sorry SJ - I feel so bad for now recommending them to you, (I'm glad I'm not in sales !!!I just hope you would have still bought one knowing the full information.
    You can check with KK's link when your lovely little chromebook will end its life (that sounds so sad, and dramatic)
    and when you get the message - "its your last update", it feels just as it sounds. My next one will hopefully last to Mid summer of 2026 as I tried to get one that would last the longest, using the link that KK gave.  For me - got to look on the bright side - still a bargain,  as works out at under £40 a year and got a free google mini nest.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure