Hope is not an Effective Financial Strategy

Options

Comments

• A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Thanks all (I can't seem to multi-quote on my chromebook  :/). 

SJ - with the chromebook you just click on each "quote" on the bottom of the quote you want to use, it then appears up in your reply,  SL - told me that, thanks.
    and I'm afraid it's bad news for the chromebook - it has an expiry date for updating, which mine reached a couple of months ago, you can still use it - but security is not there :(  but I now have a shiney new one, didn't know that when recommended them, sorry.  But I still love them and think they are good value  : <3
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • shangaijimmy
    Options
    Like your thinking SJ, every chance you get. 
    The date 29th Feb also has significant meaning to me.  I can't do the o/p - but although working a 12 hour day that day, I am arranging a "special"  meal - as 1st of all - that was the date my mortgage started - 8 years ago, and it was also my "goal" date to becoming MF  :)  Special date  <3 
    When the date comes round, I always think - Where's my extra day's pay  ;)  Would be nice - free money  :)
    Now that does have some special meaning to the date! Unfortunately I suspect we're all on the lookout for free money.

Oh I am liking that idea - my friend proposed to her (now) husband on the last leap day and they married the following August. That seemed a momentous thing to do but it was because he had had a health episode where she could not make a decision for him as she was not his next of kin...

This sounds much more up my street. My mortgage will have 29 more payments when we get to 29th Feb so
    might multiply by 29 - my 29 on 29 (to go with my 20x20s for 2020) - but I might not make it a mortgage repayment, it might have to be a saving or a spending thing. I will have a think (and about yours, of course, as this is your idea)
    Love the idea of a 29 Feb bonus OP. Mine will have to be small as it’s all tied up elsewhere... but think it’s a great idea (and it’ll be nicely marked on the mortgage statement!). Will have a think... 

With all those correlated numbers I think you have no choice but to find a way to utilise the number 29. It would seem that the stars really are aligned for it...

Are the memorabilia tops worth listing on eBay? (By get rid of, I assume you’ve chucked them, but thought it might be worth checking if they’re worth anything?)

They're not really worth a great deal, but through work I have a way of donating to a relevant museum where they will be appreciated. I paid nothing for them and am happy for an acknowledgement of being donated by...

MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • shangaijimmy
    Options
    Now I can't even remember what the name used to be!
    I'm hoping to erase it from memory as well! Hopefully people will find me somehow!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought you had a new diary for a while Jimmy, love the new title.

Hasn't half-term been a washout!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Re memorabilia tops, that seems like a nice thing to do with them, especially if they didn’t cost you anything.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 February 2020 at 12:26PM
    Options

What do you exactly mean by expiry and security, what does that mean to me using mine? And how will I know? I reckon mine is about 4yrs old, maybe 5?
    Expiry and security - I mean automatic updating - you get a message saying that you have received the last automatic update but mine gave me that for at least 3-4 times after that,  they only do this for so long. Lets see if I can do a link with this new site.
    http://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/ (just tried it - doesn't work) !!!!  if that doesn't work, will get back to you about it later, or maybe google it -
    "manage policies for chrome devices - Auto update policy"
    Your chromebook will still work, it -  just won't update - utube starts going fuzzy sometimes, and they captcha things
    wont work, so cant get by them to get to my paypal etc.  hehe - got some money in there but dont know how much  :)
    Karmacat said:
    That interests me too about the chromebook ... I was investigating them on the off chance, and a woman at PC World who seemed very knowledgeable told me that they can last 20 years because the operating system is updated forever ....
    Sorry, don't know how to operate them very much, but imho - they are talking nonsense.  Please look into it more, however when they are "in date" and working fine they are excellent, just be aware they have a life span.

Sorry need to dash - meeting girls at work for lunch - will be back later, to see how you both get on with the info.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure