Hope is not an Effective Financial Strategy

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great running efforts Jimmy. I used to run and loved it. Did a couple of HM but then fell out of love with running.

Where are you going for your birthday weekend?
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well up an at it this morning. Steady increase in distance (trying to avoid any soreness) and headed out at 7am and ran 4.2 miles. I was pleasantly surprised with speed as well, as i was aiming for 11min mile but ended with 10m 32s average. Feeling totally fine on flat and to be honest i reckon i could manage 10miles on flat, but any hills just totally drain my legs. Obviously its early days and that strength will come, and i will keep reminding myself that im 39 not 25, and a 12minute mile is the same distance as a 10minute mile!

40p TT this morning. Had the pleasure of logging onto bank account and seeing a nice healthy balance after payday, just a shame that only last a matter of days! Football soon for DS2, and then straight to a 2 hour party in a room with 60 screaming 5yr olds, and its warm...!

Got loads of Matched bets going on for Champions League final tonight and just need to place a couple of inplay bets. Our house are Liverpool fans so looking forward to the match tonight.

Cath - not sure on weekend yet. Mrs SJ will decide on all that! Last weekend she was talking about Jersey as its somewhere different. We're not really ones for city breaks and sight seeing, so it makes it a challenge!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • shangaijimmy
    Options
    Busy busy weekend! Not much financial to report I'm afraid. I OP'd the weekly TT pot which was a disappointing £3.35. Managed to sell 15 items on ebay tonight, all kids clothes so not fantastic amounts but will all add to the pot.

Am counting down the days till accounts posting on Thursday - double brick colouring month!!

The running is going well and managed a gentle 3mile tonight as a loosener after yesterday.

• shangaijimmy
    Options
    Well the final stage of the month is here. In some respects its seems to have been a long month, but then i can't get over how quickly the year has gone..bizarre.

I have today only in work this week, and its a very easy day. Just tidying up some stuff and then basically baby sitting a guest for the afternoon. Thursday morning we head to the caravan for a few days and its definitely needed.

I made a nice 72p TT this morning, i've posted most of the 15 ebay items that we sold at the weekend and i will finish the day off with a run. Aiming for 4 miles tonight, so sticking with my discipline of taking things easily enough that i don't end up sore the next next day. I need to run Tues, Weds and Thurs this week, as i will be away for my Saturday run.

Accounts posting is Thursday and Mrs SJ payday is Friday.

The sun is out (i do love the sun and warmth) and life is great!

• shangaijimmy
    Options
    Well i am officially on my holidays, and the sun has disappeared! I have an empty house today and plan to do very little (I may hoover the living room and fill the dishwasher but that is my limit).

Financial wise we are limping to the months end, which means that we've made every £ work hard for itself. Mrs SJ gets paid on Friday which is paying out day for mortgage and regular OP standing order. Whilst we're going to the caravan tomorrow i will do out accounts posting later today (there won't be anymore OP's other than regular standing orders), along with our networth calculation. Its a double month brick colouring in as well which is worthy of a celebratory beer tonight (just 1).

I continue to attack the banks with my morning TT's, and todays amount was a cheeky 12p TT (very much helping to stay motivated when we hit the mid month slump).

As for running i managed 5 miles last night but it was tough. The first 25mins were fully in the sun and i couldn't get any shade on either side of the road/path. Added to this at leadt 50% of that 25mins was pretty much running up hill! So i was struggling a wee bit at the half way point. Then i hit some shade and finally a prolonged portion of a flat route. I recovered pretty quickly and pushed through to 5miles but the last 1/2mile was agony on my calves and achilles. I think it'll be a dog walk day today rather than running. Anyway I've run 21.9 miles in 10days which i'm very happy with; 478.1 miles to go on my challenge!

Enjoy the day everyone.

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy times, Jimmy, put your feet up for a bit :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nice going SJ, Enjoy your time off :)
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Financial wise we are limping to the months end, which means that we've made every £ work hard for itself.

That's fabulous Jimmy :T.

Have a great holiday :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope the weather keeps good for you all. But enjoy the break whatever the weather.

Your doing great - keeping positive, and keeping the goal in sight.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have a great break jimmy :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback