Spambots

Options

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 June 2015 at 11:40AM
    Options
    That has happened before, A banned user simply waits a bit then their name gets put back into the system to be reused again.

I gave up reporting them with one of the previous spam sessions. If a user is stopped from posting further spam then its worth it, but when they post more and more whats the point of clicking spam, Nothing stops them.

A user with less than x amount of posts should be blocked from posting if even one is marked as spam until someone has verified it. But their spam posts need to be removed from view also.

If something like that happens then i will start reporting them again, I am a night owl and usually on here in the early hours so i get to see a lot of the spammers join up and do their deeds.

I watched for new members signing up and followed them to their first post and marked it as SPAM and then commented to know i was watching them.
    Bit of a game for me.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    or is it a very similar name, with just one character difference - hence why it feels like I recognise it?
    fermi wrote: »
    Just a slight variant on a previous one. A lot of the usernames are like that.

Demonstrated here on the auto-suggest on the memberlist search.

Shows that there are quite a few very similar previous ones registered, so you will be remembering one of those and not the latest one.

Neukj6P.png
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Another example of how they are going through similar usernames.

4lmTXvl.png
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    prowla wrote: »
    I wonder if Obama or the CIA used this to find and direct Seal Team 6 to bin Laden's location? :)
  • MothballsWallet
    edited 27 June 2015 at 1:28PM
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    a) For legal reasons we don't moderate
    This - IANAL, but to my mind, not moderating the forum leaves MSE even more open to legal action by someone who takes the slightest offence to something posted here.

And lest we forget the number of times companies have leaned on MSE to have less than glowing comments about them removed from the boards even when the poster was shown to be telling the truth.

And telling the truth isn't a crime in this country. Well, not yet it isn't.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    said it before and it's worth repeating.

Give the BG's the power to ban a spammer at the point of contact.

Its great that they can remove the posts but this means nothing to the bot, it just continues on as if nothing has happened but if a BG is on duty and can stop them from posting it will get noticed at the other end.

and not just for their own board, for the whole forum, I doubt if any of the BG's would abuse this extra power, in fact there would be a few that might enjoy the privilidge of killing off the bots as soon as they start rather than have to clean up after they have been going for half an hour or more.
  • minty777
    minty777 Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 June 2015 at 1:29PM
    Options
    anyone found a good lottery mantra
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    More spam-tards all over the place :(

It's now open season on MSE for spammers...
  • fierystormcloud
    fierystormcloud Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    Options
    This is not rocket science.

What MSE need to do is this... When a new person/newbie joins, they cannot post for 4-6 hours, and then limit them to 2 or 3 posts an hour for say 24 hours.

Other posters - and board guides and admin - will then see if it's a spam account before multiple dozens of posts have gone on, and the account can be deleted.

They stop people posting links til they get to so many posts (or until they have been a member for a certain time...) so why can this not be implemented? They do this on a few other sites I go on.
    cooeeeeeeeee :j :wave:
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    torbrex wrote: »
    said it before and it's worth repeating.

Give the BG's the power to ban a spammer at the point of contact.

Its great that they can remove the posts but this means nothing to the bot, it just continues on as if nothing has happened but if a BG is on duty and can stop them from posting it will get noticed at the other end.

and not just for their own board, for the whole forum, I doubt if any of the BG's would abuse this extra power, in fact there would be a few that might enjoy the privilidge of killing off the bots as soon as they start rather than have to clean up after they have been going for half an hour or more.

has been covered many times.
    It already exists in VB

vb_oneclick_clean.PNG

Then the tool bans and cleans up all affected threads/posts.
    All forums are covered by that one posts cleansing.
    Admin can set it to protect users. In the forum I mod its limited to members registered over 7 days.
    For those over 7 days the admin/supermods can use the 'delete as spam' tool to clean up just as the one touch does.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure