Spambots

Options
torbrex
torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
Dear MSE towers

Filtering out certain words using the swear filter doesn't stop the black magic spambots from flooding the boards every day, they still post 50+ times on each visit and irritate the life out of anyone using that particular board or the general search function (New Posts)

A new tactic is needed please.

Limit Newbies to a certain number of posts on their first few days.

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    As much as I hate the spambots or whatever they are, I dislike more the idea of putting limits like that on new users.

I think it's important and part of the ethos that anyone can join and post freely - within rules.

Throttling the rate at which new threads can be posted for x number of hours or days after registering could help (though default vB throttle is new posts not threads I think so could require hack), but even that only requires a small adjustment of tactics to get around.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • torbrex
    Options
    Hey, I can live with them flooding the boards, in fact there has been another one at least this morning since I started this thread.

but

See it from a genuine Newbie's point of view when they post a genuine queary on a board then it gets lost for a couple of hours in a sea of that junk, that must be very offputting.

I suppose my main point got overlooked, the fact that censoring certain words does not stop the posts from hitting the board.
  • fermi
    Options
    Not designed to stop posts hitting the boards.

It's designed to block some of the key words often used, which to some degree frustrates the objective of these bots, which is to get results higher up in search engines for their scam. That in turn may discourage the people running the bots from sending them here.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• torbrex
    Options
    But it doesnt :mad:

These posters don't go back and read anything that they have posted, its all about posting as many times as they can before they get taken down and banned.

I have always said that spammers can't read.
  • fermi
    Options
    Sometimes they do. I've seen them go back and check sometimes so they are not always bots. Plus they will be checking independently to see where their spam terms are showing up most, so if that's not here, or less here, then that will get factored into which site they prioritise.

It's just one part of putting them off in the long run. Not a quick solution to stop them straight away.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Captchas for the first 50 posts.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Limit 2 posts a day for Babies
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Robin9
    Options
    Yesterday Mr fdh...... was flooding the Credit Board with his Black Magic and he's here again this morning !
  • Robin9
    Options
    .\\\\\\ joined by his mate Mr Shram.....
  • Piggywiggy
    Piggywiggy Posts: 452 Forumite
    Options
    They're on here every morning, deleted by 7 though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure