🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• choccielover
    Options
    :wall:

I really thought you were making progress Alex
  • Paspatur
    Options
    Retro fridge freezers to research quality/reviews - Swan, Servis, Gorenje, Montpelier all far cheaper than Smeg. Mine is a 10 year old Nardi still working perfectly but they do not seem to be available in UK anymore. The Servis ones come with 5 year guarantee parts and labour
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think I disagree Alex, privilege shouldn't be home /food /clothes and a bit of money left over but nowadays I think it IS that.

The hunger hurts article is extreme, but I think many people may have had perhaps had similar experiences to differing degrees. I know me and my dh have had times years ago when the kids were tiny when it's was 9p tins of beans on toast for a week, not all all as bad as the article of course, but I think far more people than you might think have had financial hardship if only temporarily.

I have to ask, how did the lady at school only know what you do at school but make all those assumptions about you and your background?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When my marriage broke up, ex decided it would be a good hoot to clear out the (joint) bank accounts and leave me with all the month's bills with just my part time earnings pay...oh and 3 small children at home.

I suppose I can see where he was coming from, he was moving out and needed money to pay for his new digs, furnish it and have fun money would have been his simplistic view but I can never forgive him for putting us through that. All the savings cleared out, the current account cleared out, all gone and bills (which included his as well), coming out of my ears.

I've no idea how we got through, a lot of that time has been blanked from my memory, I know it involved lots of sacks of potatoes and tins of beans but we got some relief when I got my Christmas bonus and Christmas savings came through from work and the top up benefits started up, only for my card to then be cloned 3 days later and 2 days before Christmas! Thankfully the money was back in my account very quickly and the culprits caught...they were described as the most inept criminals as they had actually booked a holiday, in their own names, with an invoice to their own address with my money and thought they could get away with it.

Christmas that year was the most depressing one I can remember. The boys had gone from a dual income, fairly comfortably off family to one where all mum could afford to buy for them was a couple of quids worth (quite literally) of presents. Not that they complained though, eldest was old enough (only just 12 but was mature beyond his years due to being a young carer) to be able to understand there was not the money to treat them with and he explained to his younger siblings so that when I went to talk to them about it and apologise, they said it was ok, they didn't need expensive presents or indeed any presents at all.

We've been a team ever since, they have never demanded toys or gadgets despite the peer pressure and will work within the budget I have set, they have never complained that such and such has *insert latest craze* because I have always been very open with them and all this despite having had an upbringing of plenty prior to that.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Wow what a story Sue, I hope things are much happier for you all now, it sounds like you are the one that came out of that marriage with all that matters, your kids should be so proud of their mum :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh goodness yes, those were dark times but we have moved on from that. Now I have two boys at university, one going next year and although we still don't have a great deal of money, we are happy.

I'm the one who is proud, the boys are amazing, level headed, responsible and kind with a never give up attitude.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • newgirly
    Options
    Great to hear :)
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Being privately educated, having parents to bail you out when you mess up in your youth, and the expectation of a large inheritance makes you privileged. Very privileged.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Bluefire
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Does having to sell my TR6 to fund the roof / MG count?

No, selling one of your multiple cars in order to fund a roof repair doesn't count as you not being privileged I'm afraid.
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]08/13 £28,896.49[/STRIKE] 01/18 £0
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A very busy day with my wife and son. :) Did have a talk with Mrs K about managing any behaviour issues with our son in the future. Hopefully, she will deal with and move on in a speedier fashion next time.

I do need to get back to trying to make some money to boost the savings, so have a few plans for next week.

Ate a frozen cottage pie this evening which was absolutely delicious! :D On a day such as today we'd usually eat out but this was so easy to prepare and much, much cheaper. Will be doing this again and have been looking for other recipe ideas.
    SingleSue wrote: »
    I rely on state benefits as a carer.

A new washing machine or cooker (or even a new fridge freezer :D) would more than clear me out, I wouldn't have the money to buy one straight away.

I hope everything runs smoothly for you then, Sue. :)

A bit ashamed to admit this but a few years ago, I'd have been going to my parents / adding to a credit card. My wife and I were really terrible with money (spent absolutely all our income and more every month).
    :wall:

I really thought you were making progress Alex

Having read back some of the things I wrote yesterday night, I suppose it does sound somewhat spoilt. :( I do want to make progress with my wife and I paying our own way; sometimes it's rather difficult to stick with, though.

I was initially irked because the teacher made such an assertion on no real information. I don't know why the assertion was made and it was said in a derogatory manner.
    Paspatur wrote: »
    Retro fridge freezers to research quality/reviews - Swan, Servis, Gorenje, Montpelier all far cheaper than Smeg. Mine is a 10 year old Nardi still working perfectly but they do not seem to be available in UK anymore. The Servis ones come with 5 year guarantee parts and labour

Thank you. :) I will definitely have a look at all of these options.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business