Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I admire you for supporting independents Alex .I suppose it depends on how much you prioritise money saving.
    Sorry to hear MrsK isn't feeling too well. If she's not well enough to take LittleK to orchestra tomorrow then maybe your parents could step in again and that would give your father a focus outside himself.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,996 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Whilst I have absolutely nothing against shopping in a discount supermarket (I have little care for food "brands"), I do still like to buy the majority of food from small independents.

I have discovered the joy of an excellent butcher which has proved MS given his advice, for example I was going to buy some lamb shanks and he told me shoulder would be cheaper. I was baffled by this as they look different - I'm not a great cook :) - he took a saw, hacked up the shoulder and hey presto - perfect chunks to cook like the shanks. He now recognises us and will sometimes tell of us of things he wants to clear - like a huge gammon a couple of weeks ago which he cut into 4 smaller parts and told me how to cook. Love the service, the food is local and high welfare and its actually cheaper.
    I've discovered a good independent is better on many levels than the big stores. I know its not always the case but its been worth looking.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • misscousinitt
    Options
    Success is not always measured by money...it's what you do with it!

For example, my Dad had a huge criminal injury claim and my mum had a sizeable inheritance from her father. All in all for arguments sake lets say £500k. Mum's inheritance was 17 years ago and Dads claim approx 14 years ago - all of this money is now gone. The house is paid for and a couple of things were done to the house when they first had the money. But now my Dad is gone, my mum now has nothing left in the form of capital. Dad ate, drank and smoked the lot!!!

I am not singing my own praises here, but I had roughly 10% of what my parents had (a gift from Dad and an inheritance 4 years ago) - I don't have alot left, but I have one house paid for outright which I rent out and we were able to put a 33% deposit down on our new house. I would term this as fairly successful.

Your parents may provide the money in the future (I know you wasted money in your youth, but you are a changed person now)...but it's what you do with it that will measure your success.

And of course you have other criteria to measure success like how much money you save from meal planning...even the little things can mean you are successful.

And besides you are doing a really good job at being a parent...

I know what you mean when you wished your Dad was back to his old self - my Dad was the same and no matter how much we think we despise them, it's clear that we worry about them and care for them. Hope it's just a glitch and things improve soon.

Sorry for rambling on.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Fairly quiet day today, spent with my wife. She's not very well and completed a work project this morning but it was quite nice to spend the day together with our son at school. We hardly ever have time alone.

Been a cheap day, too. Not quite managed an NSD but spent less than £10. Need to get back to making some money to go into our savings, though.
    maman wrote: »
    I admire you for supporting independents Alex .I suppose it depends on how much you prioritise money saving.
    Sorry to hear MrsK isn't feeling too well. If she's not well enough to take LittleK to orchestra tomorrow then maybe your parents could step in again and that would give your father a focus outside himself.

Thank you, maman. I suppose I'm not too worried about how much I spend on food (apart from eating out, I don't think we ought to let that get out of control).

My wife took him and we both picked him up. :) It's not far. I'm not really sure my father ever has had a focus outside himself. :rotfl:
    Watty1 wrote: »
    I have discovered the joy of an excellent butcher which has proved MS given his advice, for example I was going to buy some lamb shanks and he told me shoulder would be cheaper. I was baffled by this as they look different - I'm not a great cook :) - he took a saw, hacked up the shoulder and hey presto - perfect chunks to cook like the shanks. He now recognises us and will sometimes tell of us of things he wants to clear - like a huge gammon a couple of weeks ago which he cut into 4 smaller parts and told me how to cook. Love the service, the food is local and high welfare and its actually cheaper.
    I've discovered a good independent is better on many levels than the big stores. I know its not always the case but its been worth looking.

That's great to hear, Watty. :D Glad someone else on here is advocating independents too. :)

My relationship with cooking has got a lot better over the last few years. It's not been something I've ever particularly enjoyed but I do like good food. :) My son seems to really enjoy baking and helping with cooking and I suppose that's made me a lot better and I've started to find some enjoyment from it, especially when I put the effort in and can enjoy what we've made together.
    Success is not always measured by money...it's what you do with it!

For example, my Dad had a huge criminal injury claim and my mum had a sizeable inheritance from her father. All in all for arguments sake lets say £500k. Mum's inheritance was 17 years ago and Dads claim approx 14 years ago - all of this money is now gone. The house is paid for and a couple of things were done to the house when they first had the money. But now my Dad is gone, my mum now has nothing left in the form of capital. Dad ate, drank and smoked the lot!!!

I am not singing my own praises here, but I had roughly 10% of what my parents had (a gift from Dad and an inheritance 4 years ago) - I don't have alot left, but I have one house paid for outright which I rent out and we were able to put a 33% deposit down on our new house. I would term this as fairly successful.

Your parents may provide the money in the future (I know you wasted money in your youth, but you are a changed person now)...but it's what you do with it that will measure your success.

And of course you have other criteria to measure success like how much money you save from meal planning...even the little things can mean you are successful.

And besides you are doing a really good job at being a parent...

I know what you mean when you wished your Dad was back to his old self - my Dad was the same and no matter how much we think we despise them, it's clear that we worry about them and care for them. Hope it's just a glitch and things improve soon.

Sorry for rambling on.

MCI

No need to apologise at all, MCI. :)

I don't just measure success by how much money one can make. I know it sounds negative but I'm not successful in either business or being a "good" person. I love my son dearly and try my best as a father but cannot say I think I'm doing a really good job; not really sure how much I'll be able to prepare him for a happy and successful adult life as I have not managed that myself. It all really rather worries me, to be honest.

As for using money wisely, whilst my younger self wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about, I entirely agree now. :) These days I think I'm a lot better with money than I once was. I know everyone despairs on here when I announce a new car or something else which to others seems like an expensive toy but I tend to play for a while and sell for a profit adding to my savings rather than hoarding all manner of "stuff" for the sake of it. Looking back, I had a very big problem letting go of things. Still do in some ways. :o Recently, I'd say I'm being quite sensible about my spending and we are quite easily living within our means, which is something of a "win".

My parents are good with money and would be horrified to hear of someone eating, drinking and smoking their way through their life's work / inheritance / other source of money. Not that either of them taught me how to be good with money, though. :rotfl: They thought I couldn't be so stupid and thought knowing how to look after your money and live within you means was something everyone could do without really thinking about it.

Thank you, re. my father, he has a few health problems as well as a lot of regret for the past (clearly the apple didn't fall far from the tree, there :rotfl:). No 'phone calls from mother today. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We've had a quiet day and wife is a little better, going to have another quiet day tomorrow at home. It's not been a cheap day though as I've given in to my wife's request for a TV. :eek: She's been saying she thought it would be nice to watch it a few nights per week in the sitting room as the nights are getting longer. It's rather impressive, goes on the internet and fits inside a cabinet so is hidden from view unless we want to watch it. My son liked watching a nature documentary we watch on youtube together once per week on the big screen rather than my laptop. :)

Unfortunately, it does look like the October overpayment is either going to be very small or nonexistent as a result of this purchase. :o
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a sensible purchase that you will enjoy over the winter. My TV is hidden in a cabinet too I hate it dominating the room even when it isn't on. Savings are looking very healthy Alex.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    It's not been a cheap day though as I've given in to my wife's request for a TV. :eek:

OMG Alex, next you'll be getting a tattoo!:eek:

More seriously I think it'll be good for LittleK. I'm not suggesting hours of mindless rubbish but a little children's TV would be good for him as he lives in such an adult world.

The fact that it's connected to the net means you'll be able to watch catch up when it suits you and MrsK can drool over Ross Poldark:D. Hope she's feeling better soon.
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    On Alex, you watch watch Jerermy Kyle, X Factor, Neighbours :rotfl:

Ha ha sorry, couldn't resist even though you probably have no idea what I'm going on about :p
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sounds like a sensible purchase that you will enjoy over the winter. My TV is hidden in a cabinet too I hate it dominating the room even when it isn't on. Savings are looking very healthy Alex.

Hopefully so. :)

Glad we are not the only ones re. the hidden TV. Ours is small relative to the room so would not dominate it but I really dislike seeing a monster sized TV taking over a room. My in laws have such a set up and whenever they are in the house it is on.

The savings aren't looking that healthy due to the roof, tootalluah. :(
    maman wrote: »
    OMG Alex, next you'll be getting a tattoo!:eek:

More seriously I think it'll be good for LittleK. I'm not suggesting hours of mindless rubbish but a little children's TV would be good for him as he lives in such an adult world.

The fact that it's connected to the net means you'll be able to watch catch up when it suits you and MrsK can drool over Ross Poldark:D. Hope she's feeling better soon.

How do you know I don't already have one? ;) :rotfl: ... OK you're right, I don't and have no desire for a tattoo.

So, you're telling me that Engine Masters is not the ideal after school viewing? :D Not really sure re. children's TV, he doesn't find things they watch at school very engaging and always tells me he was bored if they watch a video of some sort.

So, that's why she wanted the TV? :eek: :rotfl: She is a little better, still not very well but she's going to work tomorrow. We really like the internet side of it, as you say we can watch catch up and youtube (some really good car things on there). I'm sure there's more you can do on it that we don't know about. :)
    newgirly wrote: »
    On Alex, you watch watch Jerermy Kyle, X Factor, Neighbours :rotfl:

Ha ha sorry, couldn't resist even though you probably have no idea what I'm going on about :p

:rotfl: I'm not completely isolated from popular culture, NG. Yes, I know what Jeremy Kyle, X Factor and Neighbours are (chat show, "talent" show and a 1980s soap opera).
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our TV viewing was very restricted when we were young and as a result, I found myself isolated in class for one particular event....who shot JR. I had absolutely no idea who JR was, what anyone was talking about or why we were discussing it.

I can remember that feeling so well, it was horrid. All around me people were in groups discussing it after our teacher decided to teach a few lessons based on it (can't remember what it was but it was used as an example for something educational) but to me, it was all a mystery and a very very lonely experience.

I have been different all my life (I was an early reader so had different work to everyone else as they were way behind me) and it has never bothered me, I actively enjoy my differences but not that time, I was just made to feel stupid.

My strategy once I started work and now is not to watch all the different soaps but to read up on them in mum's TV magazine just so I know what the blooming hell everyone is going on about and can join in the conversation and not feel like such an outsider...a few mins prep makes all the difference in social situations.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure