We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I pay to sit with my 4 year old

Options

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    And comparing a paying adult who chooses to pay due to a fear of flying etc is not the same a 4 year old child IMO.

Fear of flying (aerophobia or aviophobia) is generally accepted to be a true condition and an adult who suffers from this could well cause more problems than a 4 year old if they suffer a panic attack during the flight.
    claustrophobia can also cause problems for a fair few people, so I don't think it's wrong of the airlines to take these phobias into account when allocating seats.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 March 2015 at 1:07PM
    Options
    claustrophobia can also cause problems for a fair few people, so I don't think it's wrong of the airlines to take these phobias into account when allocating seats.

Funny you should say that. I can't sit in the last few rows of 757/A320 size planes or in a window seat for that very reason. But you know what, I know that, so I book my seats at the front of the plane. ;)

The plane would be going nowhere until the paramedics had removed me if they forced me to swap to one of those rows for a child.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    This is my opinion on the matter, The airline should make provisions to make sure that a 4 year old is sat next to at least one of its parents. They know when the op booked and paid for the tickets so the system could flag that the child needs to be sat next to parent A or B but if seats are tight and people are paying for then the other parent could be moved to allow for other paying passengers.

And comparing a paying adult who chooses to pay due to a fear of flying etc is not the same a 4 year old child IMO.

Fear of flying is absolutely the same. I'm guessing you've never suffered from it so how would you know?

Why should parents with children be any different to people who are scared of flying, claustrophobic, those travelling with elderly or infirm people who need help during the flight? What age do you set the age at as having to be seated next to an accompanying adult?

Everyone that pays to prebook seats has their own reasons, and who is anyone else to say they're not as valid as those with children? People that don't pay to sit next to their children obviously don't care either way, so why should anyone else?
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 10 March 2015 at 2:34PM
    Options
    Fear of flying (aerophobia or aviophobia) is generally accepted to be a true condition and an adult who suffers from this could well cause more problems than a 4 year old if they suffer a panic attack during the flight.

This has reminded me of the only time ever I asked for a change of seat.

Travelling to Belfast from Heathrow - asked for an aisle seat as usual (don't like to feel hemmed in) and got given a window seat which I'd have lived with for such a short hop - except next to me in the middle seat was a chap so terrified he was visibly shaking. I started to feel very claustrophobic and discreetly asked to be moved.

I'd take a screaming baby over a freaking out adult in the next seat any day !! Just so long as Mum doesn't decide to change a very nasty nappy in the seat as happened once to me - Some people have NO idea how to behave in public !!

PS Murph you're very naughty teasing poor Zaggers like that :rotfl::beer:
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Fear of flying is absolutely the same. I'm guessing you've never suffered from it so how would you know?

Why should parents with children be any different to people who are scared of flying, claustrophobic, those travelling with elderly or infirm people who need help during the flight? What age do you set the age at as having to be seated next to an accompanying adult?

Everyone that pays to prebook seats has their own reasons, and who is anyone else to say they're not as valid as those with children? People that don't pay to sit next to their children obviously don't care either way, so why should anyone else?

This is pretty much my feeling too. If it is important to you pre-arrange it -if it isn't - suck it up and don't make your lack of foresight or meaness towards your kids my problem.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This is my opinion on the matter, The airline should make provisions to make sure that a 4 year old is sat next to at least one of its parents. They know when the op booked and paid for the tickets so the system could flag that the child needs to be sat next to parent A or B but if seats are tight and people are paying for then the other parent could be moved to allow for other paying passengers.

What about flagging up all vulnerable people? Why would you use this method just with children?
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options

They shouldn't. If anyone has a need to be next to someone else or in a particular seat, for instance they are a young child, they are old and infirm, they are disabled (physically or mentally), then they should declare that need and it should override anyone else's wants, regardless of who paid what.

Just like I was saying earlier in the bus travel comparison.
    Nobody "prebooks" seats. We've had this discussion. Some people are mug enough to pay the airline to select their preferred seat, which can be changed as stated in the T&Cs and as discussed above in great detail ;)

If you have a need, the airline should cater for it. Like they do for young children.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    This has reminded me of the only time ever I asked for a change of seat.

Travelling to Belfast from Heathrow - asked for an aisle seat as usual (don't like to feel hemmed in) and got given a window seat which I'd have lived with for such a short hop - except next to me in the middle seat was a chap so terrified he was visibly shaking. I started to feel very claustrophobic and discreetly asked to be moved.
    What?? Without paying??? Surely you should have "sucked it up" :rotfl:
    I'd take a screaming baby over a freaking out adult in the next seat any day !! Just so long as Mum doesn't decide to change a very nasty nappy in the seat as happened once to me - Some people have NO idea how to behave in public !!

PS Murph you're very naughty teasing poor Zaggers like that :rotfl::beer:
    I'll never get over it. Really though, he needs to improve his riddles. :beer::rotfl:
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »

I'll never get over it. Really though, he needs to improve his riddles. :beer::rotfl:

What's the only mammal that can't fly that can fly?

(& no googling the answer)
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    They shouldn't. If anyone has a need to be next to someone else or in a particular seat, for instance they are a young child, they are old and infirm, they are disabled (physically or mentally), then they should declare that need and it should override anyone else's wants, regardless of who paid what.

Just like I was saying earlier in the bus travel comparison.
    Nobody "prebooks" seats. We've had this discussion. Some people are mug enough to pay the airline to select their preferred seat, which can be changed as stated in the T&Cs and as discussed above in great detail ;)

If you have a need, the airline should cater for it. Like they do for young children.

You try getting an airline to cater for you because you're afraid of flying!

Prebook is just a term used as you are well aware. I think everyone knows seats are subject to change for operational/tech reasons. It's rarely they do get changed, although if people that want to sit next to their children don't bother to pay then it will no doubt happen more often.

I'm glad that lots of airlines do give the opportunity to 'prebook' seats, the same way they do luggage. It keeps ticket prices down for those that don't want the extras. The alternative to al a carte pricing is to put it all in the ticket price and make everyone pay whether they want the extras or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport