We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Should I pay to sit with my 4 year old

Options

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    What's the only mammal that can't fly that can fly?

(& no googling the answer)

The obvious first answer is man, but that can't be correct as a monkey (named Ham) was trained to pilot a rocket and he was the only mammal responsible for directly flying a mercury rocket in 1961.
    He wasn't simply a passenger but was responsible for pushing buttons and pulling levers throughout the flight.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,222 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    .....People that don't pay to sit next to their children obviously don't care either way, so why should anyone else?

It isn't that they don't care, it is that they know they can rely on the ruling that a child should be sat near at least one parent.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    You try getting an airline to cater for you because you're afraid of flying!

Prebook is just a term used as you are well aware. I think everyone knows seats are subject to change for operational/tech reasons. It's rarely they do get changed, although if people that want to sit next to their children don't bother to pay then it will no doubt happen more often.

I'm glad that lots of airlines do give the opportunity to 'prebook' seats, the same way they do luggage. It keeps ticket prices down for those that don't want the extras. The alternative to al a carte pricing is to put it all in the ticket price and make everyone pay whether they want the extras or not.
    Agreed, similarly with overpriced business/first class, overpriced "duty frees", airport shopping malls, ridiculous excess baggage charges etc.

As good moneysavers we should do our best to avoid paying for unnecessary extras :cool:
  • zagfles
    Options
    The obvious first answer is man, but that can't be correct as a monkey (named Ham) was trained to pilot a rocket and he was the only mammal responsible for directly flying a mercury rocket in 1961.
    He wasn't simply a passenger but was responsible for pushing buttons and pulling levers throughout the flight.
    The things you learn on MSE :D
  • zagfles
    Options
    What's the only mammal that can't fly that can fly?

(& no googling the answer)
    Is is Cat? As in one called Murphy? Or has Shaun ruined it for you again ;)
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 11 March 2015 at 12:54AM
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    What?? Without paying??? Surely you should have "sucked it up" :rotfl:

That's the difference I asked....didn't demand, didn't get anyone else moved - didn't throw a tantrum. No-one was displaced . Is the difference really such a difficult concept for you ?

Mind you that was also the flight I managed to set the smoke alarm off with hairspray in the loo - waking up a sleeping very well known American singer in the process (who happened to be my teenage crash many years before LOL) who was seated nearby Oooops
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • restless6
    restless6 Posts: 469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The first time i flew abroad with my children was with Ryan air and i was very naive to the whole process and it was a free for all where you sat.

My 8yr old was sat at the front end of the plane and i was right at the back. didnt see him for the entire journey!
    same on the way back.

He was fine. Now I am a bit more of a seasoned flyer i would not allow this to happen!
  • zagfles
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    That's the difference I asked....didn't demand, didn't get anyone else moved - didn't throw a tantrum. No-one was displaced . Is the difference really such a difficult concept for you ?
    It's too hard a concept for a lot of people here by the looks of it. I've never thrown a tantrum, always got my needs catered for.

But it seems some people here are quite willing to throw a "tantrum" if they don't get their "preferred" seat, which they think they "prebooked" and are therefore legally entitled to it :rotfl:

I'd be more than happy to swap with someone whose need is greater, whether it's a child or an adult with a phobia. Just like I'd give up my seat on a bus to someone less able to stand. I think that's the civilised way to behave, but maybe that's just me.
    Mind you that was also the flight I managed to set the smoke alarm off with hairspray in the loo - waking up a sleeping very well known American singer in the process (who happened to be my teenage crash many years before LOL) who was seated nearby Oooops
    :rotfl:did he throw a tantrum?
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Tenuous answer :D

Riddle #2
    I fly in the air, But I am not always there. I cannot be touched, But I can be felt or held. Think very hard, But if you live near the equator, You may have a tough time seeing me.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Riddle #2 is an easy one (but only because I saw it a few months ago!).

Aviation quiz Part 2. (and again, no Googling the answer)

A two part question.
    What is the largest aircraft ever to have flown and what is the largest aircraft ever to have flown with fare paying passengers on board?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport