IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

London Councils lose POPLA contract

Options

Comments

• enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    Options
    popla does not concern companies , just an individual v scum , yup the scum is a company , but you are not , I think there website needs amending if they are going to do popla , its misleading and will send you to the wrong place

no the law when acted only stated that the appeal was binding on the PPC , a lot of parliament time would have to be wasted to change this

I do believe that capita take over in 2018

(joking)
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There isn't any law concerning PoPLA. Its decisions are not legally binding on anyone.

I admire your enthusiasm Freddy but your accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A company could be the Registered Keeper/"Keeper" so POPLA could be applicable in some cases.

As for the website article; I not sure how the" Ombudsman Services will receive cases from POPLA" since it won't exist anymore.
  • enfield_freddy
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    There isn't any law concerning PoPLA. Its decisions are not legally binding on anyone.

I admire your enthusiasm Freddy but your accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.

"

The BPA have required operators to accept the decision of POPLA as regards appeals but enforcement will remain through the County Court system. Whilst the POPLA decision will not be binding on the County Court judge, he or she will doubtless have close regard to the determination of fact made by the Assessor.

"

http://www.fpra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/POPLA-Newsletter-issue-1.pdf

popla newsletter No 1 setting out the pitch
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    "

The BPA have required operators to accept the decision of POPLA as regards appeals but enforcement will remain through the County Court system. Whilst the POPLA decision will not be binding on the County Court judge, he or she will doubtless have close regard to the determination of fact made by the Assessor.

"

http://www.fpra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/POPLA-Newsletter-issue-1.pdf

popla newsletter No 1 setting out the pitch

It's not law but a rule of the BPA's.

In addition to that though, it's likely they will just accept what POPLA say, as essentially they'd have to take a case to court that they know they have little chance of winning after losing a POPLA appeal.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • enfield_freddy
    Options
    yup it reads "The BPA have required operators to accept the decision of POPLA " and omits to say anything about the customer

also picked up on

POPLA decisions will not be based on the BPA Code of Practice for the Approved Operators Scheme. However, the Adjudicator will inform the BPA of breaches of the Code found during the appeal process. Details of these will also be in the Adjudicator’s annual report
  • enfield_freddy
    Options
    so if "x" percent of cases were found in favour of the customer due to the PPCs being lying muppets , popla says it will inform the BPA of all breaches

the BPA don,t seem to be doing much do they?
  • Mike172
    Mike172 Posts: 313 Forumite
    Options
    So not bad news after all. GPEOL should stand......
    Mike172 vs. UKCPM
    Won:20
    Lost: 0
    Pending: 0
    Times Ghosted: 15
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Castle wrote: »
    A company could be the Registered Keeper/"Keeper" so POPLA could be applicable in some cases.

As for the website article; I not sure how the" Ombudsman Services will receive cases from POPLA" since it won't exist anymore.
    POPLA will still exist after Oct 1st, it will just be a different company operating the service.

They will probably keep the website exactly the same as it is now. And possibly some, or all, of the same assessors.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bargepole wrote: »
    POPLA will still exist after Oct 1st, it will just be a different company operating the service.

They will probably keep the website exactly the same as it is now. And possibly some, or all, of the same assessors.

Agreed

Unfortunately, the press statement implies that POPLA will be passing cases to the "Ombudsman Services" so effectively two different organisations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure