IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

London Councils lose POPLA contract

Options

Comments

• Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,201 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    According to the 2013/14 annual report, the Ombudsman service resolved a total of 28,640 cases and incurred £10.5Million in operating costs. This is an average of £367 per resolved case!

Based on their current complaint handling procedures and level of operating costs and staffing it's very likely the whole POPLA organisation will be TUPE, and will be a "stand alone" division.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope its more than £27+vat. for the ppc's.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • youreds
    youreds Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll TUPE the existing POPLA staff across? They surely won't have the existing resources to deal with 650 appeals per week.

Having been TUPEd myself I believe they will have to.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,201 Forumite
    Options
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    Options
    Castle wrote: »

Think I'm going to keep that document somewhere handy...
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • enfield_freddy
    enfield_freddy Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    Options
    "We look at complaints on a case-by-case basis and we will take the complainant’s
    individual circumstances into consideration when deciding upon the award. Two
    complainants may experience a similar problem, but one complainant may be caused a
    greater degree of inconvenience than the other.
    Companies make mistakes but we consider it unreasonable for customers to expect
    financial awards each time an error occurs. We need to establish whether there has
    been a material impact on the complainant.
    Our most common time and trouble award is £50 and most awards are less than £100.
    We only award over £500 as a time and trouble award in exceptional circumstances.
    But we can award up to £10,000 to return the complainant to the position they would
    have been in had the circumstances that led to the dispute not occurred.

so , multiple claims of harassment from the likes of CEL/deal , "could" cost the company £10,000 each and every time they do this?

A clear trail , from each and every individual must be kept
  • enfield_freddy
    Options
    or to put this another way , "if the new mob" find in favour of the parking Co, , you go to court and win , you can claim compo off them as well
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Options
    And potentially if the new mob find in favour of the driver, the driver can claim about £50 for the hassle.

Of course, this assumes the POPLA appeals will use the same system, which seems to be based around complaints for utilities. They might just be providing manpower for the POPLA system with none of those conditions.
  • enfield_freddy
    Options
    true , however there terms and conditions are printed on the same website as the announcement that they are taking over.
  • StaffsSW
    StaffsSW Posts: 5,788 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just an observation on this...

"As the UK's leading private sector alternative dispute resolution (ADR) provider, Ombudsman Services works with companies to provide them and their consumers with tailored dispute resolution services. Ombudsman Services will receive cases from POPLA and make legally binding decisions that must be implemented by the companies involved."

Do I read that as legally binding on both parties, or should it read only binding on the parking companies, as the current system does?
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport