PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks ivy, I'm going to the south, a small place called Marseillan at the end of the Canal du Midi.

I'll be home for one night then going to DS2s in The Hague. I tried to go straight from France but the trains were too complicated and very expensive. Could have flown but would mean changing at Luton! It's quicker and easier to come home then go again.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 July 2017 at 12:58PM
    Options
    Have a nice holiday camelot. Your weather has been warmer than us we have averaged about 9 degrees and have had the heating back on until yesterday. We have also had a lot of rain.

DS says the exam was easy he ought to have taken N2 (next to the hardest), but he did do lots of past papers and thought N2 would be too hard. Shows how much he has progressed since he booked the exam.

You will never guess what happened to him on the journey. We booked him a seat for going. He sat down in his seat, next to a young woman, and switched his tablet on, she said in a very surprised voice "Your reading in Japanese".

He was sitting next to a Japanese woman. They chatted in Japanese all the way to London. I think it would have helped him a lot even better than reading. He said he struggled for words a bit as it was the first time he has ever spoken to anyone in Japanese.

How likely was that. There are very few Japanese people in the UK.

Anyway he will now have to wait until August to get his results.

Thank you for all your good wishes.
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    Options
    Hope that results are good NM........he must be doing well if he managed to hold a conversation in Japanese as it is a very difficult language to learn according to DS1, who worked there after college for almost 3 years.......so well done him!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Please if anybody has any hot weather they're tired of, will you post it up here before I go mad and get hypothermia and rising damp!!
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 July 2017 at 8:14PM
    Options
    Evening all,

Nursemaggie--what a great story! Fingers crossed for your DS's result.

Mar--Sorry, I'm greedily hogging any sign of warmth or the big yellow ball for myself. But, as Nursemaggie says we haven't had much of it around here.

Camelot I hope you have a lovely time.

A busy weekend and day today. OH has a work event tonight so I'm going to roast some courgettes and then make a sort of cheese sauce with a bit of pasta for my tea. I got some YS bread and soft cheese to make cucumber sandwiches for my lunch tomorrow. I fancy a picnic all on my own :D. I think I'll bake a cake tonight so I can have cake for it.

I got [STRIKE]muslin[/STRIKE] voile (that would be opaque!) today in town and after Saturday's excursion I have many sewing fabrics to organize. I also organized the under stairs cupboard today and made room for Henry. OH says we need a new name for him as they're all called Henry. I've discovered that Henry VIII was called Old Copper Nose so perhaps that will catch on? This nickname was apparently because he added copper to the coinage at an attempt at thrift so maybe it is appropriate?

I should go and make my cake and see what chores I have left to finish. Hugs to all who need them.x
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    FPK they are not all called Henry, I have Henrietta. There is a George too can't remember the other names but Henry and Henrietta are best for domestic use.

Your choice is very appropriate.
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Oh yes you're right Nursemaggie. I looked at the pink one but it wasn't on sale when I bought Henry and I couldn't justify the extra cost just for a colour swap.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh NM - how serendipitous for your DS - I'm sure that chatting to someone in Japanese must have taken his mind off the pending exam. I'm sure he'll have a good result.
    DH said he was getting a bit fed up with salad so we've just had Chilli & Baked spud - very enjoyable too!
    Need to do a 'big shop' tomorrow although not that big - just need to check the cupboard and fridge and make a list. Need some odds & sods. Chemist owes me balance of prescription and I need some ballpoint sewing machine needles so lots of different places to go.
    Hope you get some dry weather soon Mar - don't want you to catch your death of dampness!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Morning all,

It is shaping up to be a bit of a wet morning here so my picnic may have to wait--we'll see. I have some work to do this morning and then the afternoon should be my own. I may start washing fabric as it is supposed to be dry this afternoon and none of this will take long on the line.

I think fish tacos for tea, so I'd better take the fish out of the freezer.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    edited 4 July 2017 at 3:30PM
    Options
    Sunny here atm , but may rain later.

What a surprise for your DS on the train nursemaggie! :)

Glad you found some voile FPk :)

Sorry your weather is so vile Mar :(

Lovely to see you Marie :hello:

I just had a quick panic about what to do for dinner tonight then remembered I'll be making a simple chicken curry, so that's all right. Must go right now to check if I have enough curry paste left, before I forget *presses Submit Reply" and steps away from the computer*

ETA Camelot That's a lovely area. We haven't visited Marseillan iself but have stayed on a campsite near Vias, and visited Beziers. Love Aigue-Mortes too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure