IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

MSE News: Legality of private parking fines to be tested in court today

Options

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just spent the weekend in Scotland and noticed how few commercial car parks were infested by PPC's . Seemed to be working ok

Depends where - PPCs are moving-in at a great rate in Urban areas and even the likes of the FC are bringing them into rural car parks - There are far more now than even a couple of years ago.

Also, PPCs have not had the impetus of POFA to encourage them to update their signage - So there are loads where PPCs do operate but you will be hard-pushed to tell because of the pathetic signage.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • allan1954
    Options
    parking eye fined me £50 +£2.50 credit card charge because I was 5 minutes over the 2 hours free parking.there was a Que onto the main road out of the car park.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    allan1954 wrote: »
    parking eye fined me £50 +£2.50 credit card charge because I was 5 minutes over the 2 hours free parking.there was a Que onto the main road out of the car park.

The mention of credit card charge implies you paid it. More fool you.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    bazster wrote: »

Too bad you paid it. Appeal anyway, and complain to aos@britishparking.co.uk that you were charged even though you were in the grace period. You may still be able to pull your fat out of the fire. Complain to the landowner too. Which car park was it?
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And perhaps also register with challengethefine.com :)
  • Ragsie
    Options
    I won my case at the appeal against a £90 fine at one of Liddl's car park for an overstay of 20 mins. The judge decided to reject POPLA's claim for the simple reason that there was no specific contract between the owner of the land at that site and POPLA.

Fight the bandits!
  • GrouchoMinx
    Options
    If the judges base their conclusion on the law as it stands then PE's justification of the penalty as being 'commercially justifiable' should be thrown out - that's a big if, terribly amusing that their own representative called the charge a 'penalty' (therefore not a Genuine Pre-Estimate of Loss and not legal). Wish I'd have been there!

All could be avoided if PE ran this car park correctly instead of relying on CCTV/implied contract/signage. There is a barrier and a kiosk at entry/exit, perhaps they could employ someone to give out tickets/accept payment, or even install payment machines - a business model based on only making a profit if an implied contract is broken is a bit weird imo.

A disgrace that PE pay the landowner £1k, the retailers have no say in parking management, that PE reduced the parking from 3 hours to 2 on a large retail site, that DVLA give out keeper details with little check and at a huge profit (no matter what they say), that PE use bullying tactics and intimidate over-stayers, cynically abuse the small claims courts (not to mention hoax phone calls/telling falsehoods/severely redacting documents, blah, blah) and absolutely amazing that no one pays business rates on this car park which, obviously and, as PE admits itself is run as a commercial operation - if they 'win' I hope someone will rectify this situation ... the shopper/parker, the retailers and the Council tax payers lose. What a country!
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,029 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Locally the fish and chip shop relies on trade from people parking for free for about 10-15 minutes whilst they make/collect their orders. If all those spaces were blocked by people parking for 2h 56mins people would not shop there and the fish shop would almost certainly not have enough trade to stay in business...I'm only saying.
    I think....
  • crustacean
    Options
    bazster wrote: »

Gratuitous rudeness - not wanted around here.

I sent a case to the RAC Foundation, which is sponsoring the case being judged. They seemed quite pleased. It is this

The public car park in Shaftesbury has just two parking periods: <2 hrs and <4 hrs. The rate is 1p/min, so 120p gets you 2 hrs. I paid 230p, assuming that, having paid over the minimum 120p, I would get time pro rata ie 230 mins. I left the car park after 200 mins, 30 mins short of what would have been my pro-rata end time.

I was penalised £25 for overstaying the 2 hr period.

Capt Mainwaring might well have said, after I realised from the parking voucher that despite having paid £2.30 I had only bought 2hrs parking, "Stupid boy...". I didn't look - I just assumed that one got pro-rata, like every other pay and display and parking meter I've ever come across. Not so in Shaftesbury.

I objected to the penalty on the grounds that being penalised for paying more than the time I actually spent parked, [at the rate that parking there costs] was not reasonable. The reply was that the ticket had been "issued in accordance with ...blah blah"

I haven't paid. Vamos a ver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport