PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenancies in Eng/Wales: Guides for landlords and tenants

Options

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kindly do not add posts to this thread.

If you wish to comment publicly on the posts above, please do so by starting a new thread, using the "New thread" button.

If you wish to make corrections or propose additional wording, highlight updates or changes in the law, ideas for a future topic etc. please PM me. I welcome all suggestions.

If you have a query or problem with your own tenancy (either as a tenant or landlord), and would like help, please do not post it here. Create your own new thread using the "New thread" button.
  • Clarebearreading
    Options
    My student daughter and 5 friends had agreed to rent  house in Ealing. They have paid a holding deposit and signed the tenancy agreement on 17th June 2020
     They were told that they could move in on 28th August  and have been waiting more information regarding the deposit. Today they have been informed by the letting agent that the landlord has changed their mind and wishes to sell the property instead. 
    Aa the tenancy agreement has been signed, are they allowed to do this?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My student daughter and 5 friends had agreed to rent  house in Ealing. They have paid a holding deposit and signed the tenancy agreement on 17th June 2020
     They were told that they could move in on 28th August  and have been waiting more information regarding the deposit. Today they have been informed by the letting agent that the landlord has changed their mind and wishes to sell the property instead. 
    Aa the tenancy agreement has been signed, are they allowed to do this?
    Please see the post above yours. You need to start a new thread, not post at the bottom of a sticky. Thanks.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • TiggyWilliams
    Options
    I have lived in my home for 43 years when I moved here it was a lovely place. Unfortunately there was a blight on the area and as the houses became empty private landlords bought them. The problem is they do not look after the properties and they have now become a mess. I worked hard to get the council to either lift the blight or buy my home. Eventually they lifted the blight but the damage was done. Can I do anything to make the private landlords clean up their houses and gardens, the path up to my home is now covered in a concrete panel that has fallen on to it,  I have to climb over it to walk up the path we all use to get to our homes. I only know one of the landlords and have asked him to move the concrete fence panel that is his but he has done nothing. The properties are de-valuing my home. Can I find out who the other landlords are and take them to court for this?
    I did try the council but they did nothing.
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    Thanks Sue
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    Options
    I have lived in my home for 43 years when I moved here it was a lovely place. Unfortunately there was a blight on the area and as the houses became empty private landlords bought them. The problem is they do not look after the properties and they have now become a mess. I worked hard to get the council to either lift the blight or buy my home. Eventually they lifted the blight but the damage was done. Can I do anything to make the private landlords clean up their houses and gardens, the path up to my home is now covered in a concrete panel that has fallen on to it,  I have to climb over it to walk up the path we all use to get to our homes. I only know one of the landlords and have asked him to move the concrete fence panel that is his but he has done nothing. The properties are de-valuing my home. Can I find out who the other landlords are and take them to court for this?
    I did try the council but they did nothing.
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    Thanks Sue
    As mentioned in a post a few above yours, please start a new thread and not on the bottom of a sticky.

2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • cwtch
    Options
    My 84 year old mother has transferred ownership of her house to myself and my brother but has the legal right to continue living in the property rent free for the as long as she wishes. There is no mortgage and no money changes hands. My mother has lived in the same house for over 60 years and insured it as her own. I am now informed by her insurers that she cannot continue to insure the buildings as she does not own the property. I am told I need to take out landlord insurance but there is no commercial transaction. I do not consider myself to be her landlord. Landlord insurance quotes are asking me for tenancy agreements and certificates for gas and electrical compliance for letting. Is there another way of simply insuring the building without going down the landlord route?
  • greatcrested
    Options
    cwtch said:
    My 84 year old mother has transferred ownership of her house to myself and my brother but has the legal right to continue living in the property rent free for the as long as she wishes. There is no mortgage and no money changes hands. My mother has lived in the same house for over 60 years and insured it as her own. I am now informed by her insurers that she cannot continue to insure the buildings as she does not own the property. I am told I need to take out landlord insurance but there is no commercial transaction. I do not consider myself to be her landlord. Landlord insurance quotes are asking me for tenancy agreements and certificates for gas and electrical compliance for letting. Is there another way of simply insuring the building without going down the landlord route?
    As mentioned in a post a few above yours, please start a new thread and not on the bottom of a sticky.

Thanks

• jasonwebb
    Options
    Quick question please, as the eviction ban is coming to an end, if the gas safety certificate is out of date and hasn’t been updated will that mean that a court hearing will be thrown out of court?
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    Options
    jasonwebb said:
    Quick question please, as the eviction ban is coming to an end, if the gas safety certificate is out of date and hasn’t been updated will that mean that a court hearing will be thrown out of court?
    Please start your own thread.
  • greatcrested
    Options
    As mentioned in the post immediately above yours, please start a new thread and not on the bottom of a sticky.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure