Forum Home» How much have you saved?

The Happiness Fund. - Page 301

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

The Happiness Fund.

3.1K replies 297.7K views

Replies

• Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aw SW xmas tree will cheer you up ☺️🎄 The shops have Christmas stuff in already I think it’s to take people’s minds off what a crap year it’s been 
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    Emergency fund £1000 / £1000
  • IrenadlerIrenadler Forumite
    523 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    No laughing here, I am glad someone has properly mentioned Christmas at last, so I can safely keep mentioning it now, without someone throwing slippers at my head! Lol! :D

That's a lovely idea - lots of sparkly stuff to wake up to, never hurts to find ways to cheer yourself up on dark nights. I was watching the full on spangly Strictly last night. More sequins and glitter than you can shake a stick at! I have a slight weakness for shiny things... :D
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'
    Emergency fund = £50!
    Stash cash= £12.60
    Savings: £0
    Prolific Academic = £13.25
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    7.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awww, I don't blame you for putting it up. I bet it looks beautiful 🤗
  • edited 27 September at 7:23PM
    savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 September at 7:23PM
    It doesnt, i had two sets of lights on it and one set is rather old and doesnt work well so i have just ordered new ones for £26!!!!!!. It is not a necessity but the tree is the only thing I've got to keep my marbles during lockdown yikes thank goodness for the credit card. I will pay it off. 
    I am not allowed to buy anything but food now during October. lol. Nothing sold this week on social media everyone is cutting back and saving i think. 
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
    Saving change in money box.
    523 posts
    ✭✭
    Ooh, shiny things...  :D It is a need if it helps keep your chin up - I think we all have to maintain well-being at the minute (look at me saying that, ha!) I am probably maybe going to lurk around the charity shop at Xmas, as people are bound to get rid of old decorations then, to make room for the new stuff....? Love Xmas, and love decorating, and love glitter, and - erm, did I happen to mention I like shiny things? LOL!

I keep my marbles in a jar by my bed where I can keep an eye on them.....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'
    Emergency fund = £50!
    Stash cash= £12.60
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • ginnyknitginnyknit Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My hubby hates Christmas and  only joins in to hide it from the grandchildren however I found him going through the decorations yesterday and he said he was just checking them lol. We all need some joy in our lives instead of groundhog day. So glad you still have a job now keep on doing what you've been doing  and you will get through xx
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    7.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I picked up my decoration stuff from the poundshop, makes Christmas happen a budget. First few years TomBo and I were together it was me having to sort out the tree and decorating it. Last year he went out shopping and came home with it, then asked me where I had put the decorations.

Maybe this year, it will be our first proper Christmas together and not visiting people. I would like the traditional gifts under the tree and room decorated season. Argh, you lot have got me excited about it now!
    523 posts
    ✭✭
    Hey Swan
    Just an idle thought - how about not spending, but, an Xmas swap shop? Some of the relatives I have (I know not everyone will have those) regularly re-theme their decorations yearly, i.e. a lets do a blue a silver one this year. Bin the red and gold lot!

Maybe a socially distanced agreed swaps could occur, so, them that wants just a certain colour(s) don't have to spend either? Or, simply ask around if anyone is clearing out theirs to 'upgrade' - not electrics though... I don't think stuff like lights are built to last.

That way, no spends, stuff saved from land-fill, sustainable & eco-friendly, and your place could look like a Christmas sanctuary in no time.... Or like the Christmas fairy has gone a little wild in there. Hmmm.... I feel a phone call coming on.... :D

Emergency fund = £50!
    Stash cash= £12.60
  • ginnyknitginnyknit Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    So have you put the tree up yet  :) Im clearing the living room to get ready in a couple of weeks though am sorely tempted to do it now. I get most of my craft stuff off people who are tired with it, thats how I make so much for charity. Its also how I manage to make packs of Christmas decorations up for the local church group to raise funds for feeding locals in need. They sell them nice and cheap so everyone gets something nice, its so true that people change their Christmas decor and it usually heads for landfill. Lets rescue what we can this year and spread the joy - God knows we need a little happiness. 
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • edited 1 October at 7:23PM
    savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    15.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 October at 7:23PM
    Hello all, the lights came yesterday, they look fantastic.  I haven't put anything else on Henry except the lights but will decorate when it calms down a bit. He is so camp with all the lights I am cheered up for now.

I was paid yesterday. Hurrah £250 to savings. I have cancelled my old mobile phone contract saving £15 a month and put that towards my hefty credit card bill. I am investigating getting rid of my landline to see if it saves more money and will find out tomorrow. 

It looks like i will make £32.99 from selling all my bits on fleabay tomorrow. This is a surprise as i was not expecting to make anything.

Only one day left then it is the weekend. Hurrah. 
    Trying to be frugal 18/31Jan; 15/29 Feb 26/31 March 23/30 April 18/31 May 20/300 Jun NSDs.
    Saving change in money box.