The Happiness Fund.

Options

Comments

• savingwannabe
    Options
    hello Kittikins and Skinty,

Hurrah for the weekend.

Yes work sent me an official letter. They are giving me a pay rise of £90 a month till August and then I go back to normal salary in total I think it just under £900!!! I am not going to spend this it will be going directly into savings possibly for a retirement fund? I am v pleased with this and it has been a real surprise.:beer::j

I am looking forward to Oxford we will be walking past the Sheldonian but will have left the city by 4.30pm. lol. I'm hoping it will be a good day but will involve lots of walking.:o I think the temperature is forecasted to be 24 degrees!:):j:beer::D

I am hoping I get paid on Friday instead of Monday 30th September as I have £40 cash to my name and will spend some of it on travel to work tomorrow. lol. I have not spent anything today. I am trying to do a clothes wash before it gets dark as the weather is glorious here.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 September 2019 at 8:55PM
    Options
    I have walked 20,000 steps!!!! Oxford was terrific, total spend today was £6.50 on bus ticket to work and a drink as I ran out of fluids in the 24 degree heat! The students were quite emotional when we saw the Aslan Door and lamppost. A couple cried as they love CS Lewis like I do. Oxford is truly amazing.

The day did make me realise how rich people are in Oxford and how poor I am in comparison! There were some amazing shops in the covered market where I could have purchased some amazing things but I reminded myself that this is a non spend month.

I still have £40 cash and that is it. I hope it will last till payday.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Wow well done on all the steps SW :T and a low spend day too :j
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    edited 22 September 2019 at 6:54PM
    Options
    Thank you Skinty, it sounds like a real sacrifice not spending a lot of money but it is only as I was short of money.:rotfl::rotfl:

I can hear the distant rumble of thunder so it seems the weather is changing and we will have a week of rain. Yikes.:(

Today's list of things to do:
    • [STRIKE]Urgent marking
    • Write students name in markbook
    • basic tidying [/STRIKE]

I have done basic tidying and house is looking good. I will mop on Tuesday. Im going to chill now as v tired from yesterday's walking.
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Oxford sounds lovely! I've never been properly, but it is definitely somewhere on my ToDo list! Where is the Aslan door and lamppost? Also, do you have any tips as to how to visit the Bodleian Library without booking a tour?
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • savingwannabe
    edited 23 September 2019 at 6:52PM
    Options
    Hello Aslan's door and the Narnia lamp are on St Mary's Passage just off the High Street and St Mary's on the door of Brasenose College.

After we have walked round Dead Man's Field and all the Colleges they are too tired to see the whole of the Bod. For the Bodleian we usually go inside and visit the Main Hall. It's only a pound. The queue is quick and you don't have to have an expensive tour to see all of it.
  • savingwannabe
    edited 24 September 2019 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Hurrah for a day off work today. I have a hospital appointment later.

Jobs to do:
    • [STRIKE]work work[/STRIKE]
    • ironing
    • [STRIKE]if time clear counters in the kitchen - new decluttering idea. Lol [/STRIKE] Ive put my toasters and medical tin in cabinet to clear counters a bit more. I am chucking my oven gloves out and will use silicon oven gloves to be kept in drawers(after I pick them up this weekend bargain price £2).
      Im debating whether to put the crossdresser in the garage to help declutter?

Some great news, the Lovely Lodger(his name from now on will be LL) has just purchased Steve's old bike from me for £40 ( I bought it off him for the same price). I have money. OMG.

Im going to the hospital in a bit for a blood test and to see the diabetes nurse. Then I will do a small food shop. I can travel in a taxi now so I wont be struggling to walk since forgetting the injections the other day.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Great news about the bike sale SW :T

Hope your hospital appointment went ok and you are feeling better soon x

Will you use the cross trainer if you put it in the garage ? Maybe time to sell it too ?
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Fab news on selling the bike SW :beer:

Hope your hospital appointment went well. And silicon oven gloves are AMAZING - we bought a pair a few weeks ago and I absolutely love them and wonder how I ever lived without them in my life :D

I hear you on the clutter front, we have a stationary bike in our living room which does get in the way, but then as Skinty suggested, when it lived in the conservatory it only ever got used as a clothes horse :rotfl: At least in the lounge it has a chance of being sat on occasionally!!

Thanks so much for the Oxford tips, I'll add them to my epic document of "places to go and things to see" and will hopefully get there at some point!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Hurrah for the weekend. Blood sugars are fine and hopefully I will be ok in a few weeks. Im struggling to walk far and voice keeps going. My parents are here so I am going to do some prep for work, marking, ironing and also rest and enjoy time with mum and dad.

I spent £4 on a charity thing at work.

In total, I have spent £110 instead of £100 on food and fun this month. How can Skinty be so disciplined??????

(Luckily I sold my car boot clothes rail for £20 & the bike for £40) I have £50 from this left to my name which is rather marvellous and I don't know if I want to save this or not.

Summer job forgot to pay me for my two trips to Oxford and Brighton so I should get £140 extra next month. Payday on Monday with my £90 pay rise. I cannot wait. Im not going to waste it, I shall save the salary increase.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure