How much do you earn and able to save a month?

Options

Comments

• snowqueen555
    snowqueen555 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some of these numbers are crazy, would be nice to see some low earners post more.

I earn about £1200 net a month, save £450, any overtime is saved, so some months it can be £600+. This is going towards a house deposit though.

I also count pension as savings, I save around £200 per month right now in total.
  • Michael_Jordan
    Options
    In recent times, I have been able to make around $1500/month, I try to save around 50% from it for future needs, but sometimes, I am able to save even above that depending on the Rents/Bills and all that stuff. I believe saving is like making money, so got to be pretty good at it.
  • AnnMollys
    Options
    Making about 1k per month as of now, I am not required to spend much apart from minor bills like internet/phones and all that. So, it’s around £200-300 needed…. Rest I save about £700/800 per month, I am hopeful to get my monthly salary increased which would allow me to do more savings…..
  • zzzt
    zzzt Posts: 407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought I was rather frugal but it seems like a lot of people here earn less than me but save more. I think lifestyle inflation after raises has crept up on me.

Having just bought a house, I have decimated my savings, and the house requires work too, which will make putting anything aside tricky, but hopefully I can get back on track in 2017.
  • Lauralozzle
    Options
    I come out with £1,200 a month

£950 straight on my half of bills (includes mortgage. Food shopping etc)

I am going to try and make an effort to save £100 a month. Should be doable if I'm really careful.

It'll be easier when the credit card is paid off!
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • tunnelandlight
    Options
    Huge well done to all of those saving a high percentage of their salaries, especially with children/ on a low income.

I earn £2130 net a month. I save £125 into a regular saver and invest £50/ month and have only just started that. Why so little? I was really struggling having accumulated a ton of debt and being over committed with property abroad that I couldn't sell when I moved back to the UK. My salary jumped quite a bit last year - more than £10K gross which has enabled me to start to get on top of the debt. I really appreciate the extra money since it's taken away the stress of living hand to mouth, but I live like I did before which is to say pretty modestly (bought a small house here, run a 10 year old, non-financed car). I regularly have to send money abroad (say £250/ month average) and try to pay at least £500/month off the debt when I can, quite a bit above the minimum, sometimes this is not possible - for example car/ house repairs being necessary. My mortgage is just over £500 and I have council tax, utilities, food, petrol etc. I have a busy social life, but keep the costs down as far as possible, I rarely spend money on clothes/ shoes/ toiletries these days.

A chunk of student loan is taken directly from my salary which will stop next year (about May) and give me an extra £176/ month take home and I am also expecting a rise this month, the exact amount I am waiting to hear! This extra will be split to up the savings and lower the debt. The debt is on 0% - 3.7% and so I feel justified in starting to save and invest on a small scale.

My partner and I live apart, living together would help us both financially. We are considering a couple of options for that to happen and all of them will enable us to start building savings.
    GOAL - debt free (except mortgage) by October 2017.
    April 2016: £11,422.95/ £9118.07 October 2016
    Emergency fund: £1428.01 October
  • lakelady
    Options
    Clearly there are people living with parents or similar posting alongside those funding their own lives.

People are claiming to live on impossibly low sums after saving, regardless of frugality, unless someone else is propping them up, unless I am very much mistaken. Saving £800 out of £1000? How does that work after paying rent/mortgage and buying essentials?

Feel free to ignore me; but IMO this thread would be more useful to savers if people talked about how much of their *disposable* income they saved, preferably as a percentage, as opposed to a figure.

This thread as it is is only going to make others feel bad.
  • butterfly2001
    Options
    To try help make this more realistic my partner and I's total monthly income is about £2350 on average.

Our mortgage is £1100 or so. By time we take out month expenditures. Our savings can range between £200 and £500 pounds on a tight month.

I'm sure we can tighten up but as long as we make savings, we try and enjoy life.
    A big thank you to all those who post on the forum and make it a worthwhile place!!!:j

• Jennifer58
    Options
    I can save around £300 per month, although recently this has dropped to £200 as I've started putting money aside for Christmas.
  • fiberay
    fiberay Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I earn between £1100 and £1350 a month depending if I get overtime offered. I'm living with my family and I can save around £250 per month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure