Add your feedback on energy supplier Zog Energy

Options

Comments

• kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, all - I think i *may* have a IGT, how do I confirm this as I couldn't find a website to enter my address and get confirmation? Also, does anyone know if:-
    - zog accept people on IGT?
    - if any surcharges?
    - Do i need to find out and contact my IGT (if i'm with one) to tell them i'm switching?
    - Will this likely delay the switch over?

Sorry for the questions but I didn't know i was possibly on a IGT, i just thought I was on Gas and that was it... clearly possibly not...

Thanks all

Kev
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kev2009 wrote: »
    Hi, all - I think i *may* have a IGT, how do I confirm this as I couldn't find a website to enter my address and get confirmation? Also, does anyone know if:-
    - zog accept people on IGT?
    - if any surcharges?
    - Do i need to find out and contact my IGT (if i'm with one) to tell them i'm switching?
    - Will this likely delay the switch over?

Sorry for the questions but I didn't know i was possibly on a IGT, i just thought I was on Gas and that was it... clearly possibly not...

Thanks all

Kev
    Zog are fine with an IGT (I have one) and there are no surcharges.

Take a look at your Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) on your gas bill. If the MPRN is 10 digits long and begins with 74, 75, 76 or 77 then you are supplied by an IGT.

It's possible to cause a delay, but it didn't for me.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FWiW, my switch to Zog in December 2015 from application to transfer took 16 days. Yes, I am with an IGT and the actual transfer day was a public holiday.

You do NOT need to do anything but let Zog manage all aspects of their switch as required by their Supply Licence.

I am beginning to understand why 70% of people cannot be bothered to switch if they all over worry what is a very simple and streamlined process.
  • lstar337
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I am beginning to understand why 70% of people cannot be bothered to switch if they all over worry what is a very simple and streamlined process.
    Yes, I don't think people believe it is as simple as it is.

Once you start the switch, you'll be contacted for a meter reading and that's about it. The company will do the rest.

IMHO it is worth checking your final bill to make sure it is all correct (British Gas tried to screw me, but Zog fixed it all without me even needing to call BG again), but that really is just common sense.
  • kev2009
    Options
    Thanks @hengus, @Istar337

I didn't know i was with a IGT, wasn't told when I got the property, it was just that I saw some threads about IGT on the forum and saw someone saying if meter starts with certain numbers, I checked and mine does start with one of those numbers and then searched the internet and found out I could have to pay additional charges if a smaller supply etc and started to think am i going to save any money but thankfully Zog don't charge I was told above so that's all good :)

Sorry for asking so many questions, just new to all this and don't want to switch thinking i'm saving money only to find out there was something I wasn't aware of and it will cost me more, especially as i'm signing up for 24months :)

Kev
  • lstar337
    Options
    I didn't know i was with a IGT, wasn't told when I got the property, it was just that I saw some threads about IGT on the forum and saw someone saying if meter starts with certain numbers, I checked and mine does start with one of those numbers and then searched the internet and found out I could have to pay additional charges if a smaller supply etc and started to think am i going to save any money but thankfully Zog don't charge I was told above so that's all good :)
    I didn't know either at first. When I found out I was, I thought it was going to be a problem because I thought (and the internet seemed to confirm) that being on an IGT was rare. I thought it was because I was in a new build and the builders had cheaped out, mostly because the internet makes out that IGT's give out discounts to developers in order to tie customers in to them at a later date. I later found out this was rubbish in my case as my IGT Wales & West Utilities appear to be responsible for most of the network in my area. They have recently been upgrading all the gas mains in my local area so I have seen first hand how much they are responsible for. All the local Cities, towns, and villages are being upgraded.

So being with an IGT isn't anything to worry about, just remember to check if you switch again in the future, that the new supplier has no surcharges for IGT's. I emailed Zog when I realised it could be an issue and they got back to me within 30 minutes.
    Sorry for asking so many questions, just new to all this and don't want to switch thinking i'm saving money only to find out there was something I wasn't aware of and it will cost me more, especially as i'm signing up for 24months :)

Kev
    No worries at all Kev, you are doing the sensible thing by asking questions. If you don't ask, you won't get told.
  • kev2009
    Options
    Thanks @Istar337 - I too started reading the internet and saw the same things hence my post :)

I havn't emailed Zog to confirm no charges for IGT etc, I saw you mentioned there was no charge and I presume Zog will be able to tell my my meter info they found out themselves (i never supplied it) that is a IGT so I presume would notify me of any additional charges i may incur etc.

Interestingly, I didn't see the Wales & West Utilities appear on IGT site: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/gas/distribution-networks/connections-and-competition/independent-gas-transporters

maybe i'm looking at the wrong site..

I'm surprised there isn't a website you can put your details into and it tell you if you are on IGT or not and who the supplier is.

Many thanks for your help though, don't want to be posting daft questions but at the same time don't want to go my 14 days and then find out and then stuck paying a fee to move or increased costs.

Kev
  • kev2009
    Options
    Just had a thought, this might be a question for Zog but My Gas is approx £38 in credit, should I phone BG and pay this now to avoid any delays or will BG just take the payment from my account via the direct debit they have setup when they close the account?

My Elec is £68 in credit so will they take the £38 for Gas from the £68 Elec and give me back £30 or are they treated separately? Meaning they will give me back £68 and then take £38 from my account?

Thanks

Kev
  • gazapc
    gazapc Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have been with Zog for nearly a year now, very happy with the service and just signed up for another year fix.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just had a thought, this might be a question for Zog but My Gas is approx £38 in credit, should I phone BG and pay this now to avoid any delays or will BG just take the payment from my account via the direct debit they have setup when they close the account?

My Elec is £68 in credit so will they take the £38 for Gas from the £68 Elec and give me back £30 or are they treated separately? Meaning they will give me back £68 and then take £38 from my account?

I'm assuming you're on dual fuel with British Gas so one payment covers both.

What usually happens is your final bill will be generated and any credit is used towards it. Once that bill is settled any outstanding credit after that should be refunded to you.

Note that it takes up to six weeks to move provider and as direct debits are monthly the situation may occur where a new payment goes out to BG very close to your switch date. This'll just be added to the existing credit on the account.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback